Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Scheifele is 10 points back of league leader Rantanen.

I think he can catch him if Scheifele keeps up and healthy rest of the year.

But
McDavid might go Super Saiyan rest of the year after Christmas and obliterate everybody else.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Schiefele does not need to win the scoring title ... all the Jet fans know what a superstar he is.
I would rather have him hold the Stanley Cup than holding an Art Ross trophy.
What's with Jet fans wanting individual awards anyways?
Who cares ... nobody remembers who the 2014-15 Art Ross winner (Jamie Benn) was but they remember the LA Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2014-15 season.

Last edited:

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Schiefele does not need to win the scoring title ... all the Jet fans know what a superstar he is.
I would rather have him hold the Stanley Cup than holding an Art Ross trophy.
What's with Jet fans wanting individual awards anyways?
Who cares ... nobody remembers who the 2014-15 Art Ross winner was but they remember the LA Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2014-15 season.
giphy.gif

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I posted this in a gdt last year in playoffs ,that thread is now locked Scheifele is smart skilled hockey player above average in all skill set makes a great Center and top ten producer

pXAKkOZ.png

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I know that I am going to get beat up and piled on for this because he is a darling but here goes!

I have been pretty harsh on Laine in the past, but to me the bigger disappointment on this team has been the listless play by # 55.
He’s truly looked to me like a “goal suck” for quite an extended period here now and because he’s the Golden Child who is the media darling on this team, he escapes a lot of criticism for his putrid play. PoMo should have his mouth washed with soap for making those comparisons to Yzerman and saying he will have statues built of him in the city. Crap, the closer comparison for Scheifele’s play has been to the other name that starts with Y...Paul Ysebaert and with his play lately that may be an insult to Ysebaert!

I know that I am stretching it a “bit”, but he has turned into a 60’ Centre, nowhere close to being a complete 200’ player. He was certainly trending that way (200’ footer) but his play and effort have taken a sharp downturn over the last several months.

Seems like the TV analysts are only talking about Laine’s lack of scoring but if they truly watched the games there is no way the “experts” would not pick up 55’s piss poor efforts in the D zone. Heck Schiefele is a hockey nerd how can he not watch and realize his play and effort stink?

By the way, yes I do love his game when it is complete, early in the year I thought he was looking like a Top 5 player, nevermind Centre.

I know people will point to his place in the scoring race, his +/-, etc. but so many other parts of his game are sucking big time!

So...is he playing injured, does he have poor cardio, getting played too much (I think that’s part of it), has he turned into a goal suck or has Maurice been telling him he is similar to Yzerman privately and his head won’t fit through the door now?

I just think young Pate is getting hammered to the nth degree on here and in the sports media, it’s only fair to dish a bit to 55.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I know that I am going to get beat up and piled on for this because he is a darling but here goes!

I have been pretty harsh on Laine in the past, but to me the bigger disappointment on this team has been the listless play by # 55.
He’s truly looked to me like a “goal suck” for quite an extended period here now and because he’s the Golden Child who is the media darling on this team, he escapes a lot of criticism for his putrid play. PoMo should have his mouth washed with soap for making those comparisons to Yzerman and saying he will have statues built of him in the city. Crap, the closer comparison for Scheifele’s play has been to the other name that starts with Y...Paul Ysebaert and with his play lately that may be an insult to Ysebaert!

I know that I am stretching it a “bit”, but he has turned into a 60’ Centre, nowhere close to being a complete 200’ player. He was certainly trending that way (200’ footer) but his play and effort have taken a sharp downturn over the last several months.

Seems like the TV analysts are only talking about Laine’s lack of scoring but if they truly watched the games there is no way the “experts” would not pick up 55’s piss poor efforts in the D zone. Heck Schiefele is a hockey nerd how can he not watch and realize his play and effort stink?

By the way, yes I do love his game when it is complete, early in the year I thought he was looking like a Top 5 player, nevermind Centre.

I know people will point to his place in the scoring race, his +/-, etc. but so many other parts of his game are sucking big time!

So...is he playing injured, does he have poor cardio, getting played too much (I think that’s part of it), has he turned into a goal suck or has Maurice been telling him he is similar to Yzerman privately and his head won’t fit through the door now?

I just think young Pate is getting hammered to the nth degree on here and in the sports media, it’s only fair to dish a bit to 55.
Agree Scheif could be playing better right now but i wouldn't want him on any other team than our Jets . He's still one of the top centers in the league despite his play of late .

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Its 2/3 of the way through the regular season where our team playing it's most mediocre all year the last month. Despite that, we are floating towards the top instead of sinking.

There is literally zero motivation for uthe top guys to be going 100% every shift, every night. Especially when you are leading the league in ice time...

The more people who are comfortable jumping off the bandwagon of this team, the better. Some are already off and I love it. See you guys in April with our Heritage jerseys on. I have faith people will come around when the games are big again.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Agree Scheif could be playing better right now but i wouldn't want him on any other team than our Jets . He's still one of the top centers in the league despite his play of late .
Agree with you, I don’t want to see him anywhere else either....I was just trying to distract/lighten the piling on on young Laine! :D

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its 2/3 of the way through the regular season where our team playing it's most mediocre all year the last month. Despite that, we are floating towards the top instead of sinking.

There is literally zero motivation for uthe top guys to be going 100% every shift, every night. Especially when you are leading the league in ice time...

The more people who are comfortable jumping off the bandwagon of this team, the better. Some are already off and I love it. See you guys in April with our Heritage jerseys on. I have faith people will come around when the games are big again.
Yup. The hysteria and panic around here is getting pretty thick.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,

I never said I was jumping off the bandwagon? Just stating some things that I have seen...we can’t all agree on everything.

This team has played maybe 3 or 4 complete games this year, if they think they can just “turn it on” when they need to, they may be in for a rude awakening down the stretch.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I never said I was jumping off the bandwagon? Just stating some things that I have seen...we can’t all agree on everything.

This team has played maybe 3 or 4 complete games this year, if they think they can just “turn it on” when they need to, they may be in for a rude awakening down the stretch.

There can certainly be some truth to your last sentence. I'm advocating not throwing mud at our best players until they don't show up when it counts most.

With Laine, that was the case last year and continued this year. But I still hate the hate because he is 20 and expected to produce at a very high level. It took Ovechkin 10 years to develop a care in the world playing defense.

If I came off condescending, it's because I legitimately get pissed when people treat all games like they are created equal. Truth is, they're not.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Yup. The hysteria and panic around here is getting pretty thick.
I love all the positive outlook posts on here, so I do appreciate your posts and those of several others who typically say little to nothing negative about this team...but geez guy/girls is it wrong for someone to have a negative take on things they see as a problem?

Things aren’t all roses with this team and it is very apparent, it does not mean people are hysterical and jumping off the bandwagon!

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I think yzerman took a bit of heat early in his career for his lack of 200’ game and cheating offensively. Made a conscious decision to change his style to win instead of just put up points. Scheifele seems to have made that decision already but has hit a speed bump this year. He will get back on track, but no doubt he is well deserving of some criticism of late.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Despite his poor play recently, this is a player that has been the perfect example of hard work and dedication to improving his game.
Usually you wouldn't reserve this type of post for a player that sits 14th in points.

Maybe it's just me - but I think this player has earned a little wiggle room - I'd suggest dropping the cheap shots, starting with the title.

And if we really want to take some pressure off Laine, I'd suggest doing it on the "Laine" thread(s) and leave Scheif out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Derfel and JetsNut

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To be fair yzerman wasn't yzerman till he was 32. Scheifele still has 6 years to go.
He actually got some of the same criticisms early in his career that some are throwing at Scheifele. That he was a loser and only cared about offense.

Reactions: Jack722

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Honestly does Paul Maurice see a better opportunity then now to break up the top line? I think a fresh look would benefit both first and second lines.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I noted I was likely stretching it a bit but I’m not sure the headline is that bad...disrespectful?

So Schiefele has earned the right to stink up the joint with his play and not get criticized?
No but you could post in the player discussion as the mods always move this type of one offs there anyways. If they didn't we would have about 100 Laine threads going at once.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
3 goals in his last 5, on track for a career year if he stays healthy.
I said this in my original post:
“I know people will point to his place in the scoring race, his +/-, etc. but so many other parts of his game are sucking big time!”

I stand by it regardless of how many goals he scores. There is more to hockey than scoring goals. He is our # 1 Centre and he is not playing like it right now. Will he get back on his horse and start playing like it, yes no doubt he will! I still think he is earning the criticism he is getting on here with his play over the last month or so...I am not the only one who is saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->