Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele's contract is one of the best in the league as far as i'm concerned. Oh but he's shit defensively, the Jets were a shell of a team when he got hurt in the playoffs . Helly and Scheifele are the 2 most important players on the Jets right now.
It’s such a good contract that HE probably hates with a passion.

Reactions: Jets 31

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Scheifele's contract is one of the best in the league as far as i'm concerned. Oh but he's shit defensively, the Jets were a shell of a team when he got hurt in the playoffs . Helly and Scheifele are the 2 most important players on the Jets right now.
I remember everyone on here was laughing at the Oilers for paying Draisaitl 8 mill. That turned out pretty well.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He needs to get back to top 10 C in the league status. Last two years has been a severe downward trend IMO for his all around play.
Still a great player, great contract, but hes been underperforming the past two years.

Reactions: surixon

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well yeah, he broke 50 points once during his ELC 5 years after being drafted. Mackinnon signed a similar deal too around that time and he's a top 3 talent.

Mark's next contract won't be so kind.
If you want to play with numbers...he averaged 48 points a year during his ELC while missing 30 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He needs to get back to top 10 C in the league status. Last two years has been a severe downward trend IMO for his all around play.
Still a great player, great contract, but hes been underperforming the past two years.

I agree. He needs to get back to driving play and taking care of his own end.

Its one of the reasons I would like to see a new coach brought in. Players have gotten too complacent and allowed to get away with more stuff.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree. He needs to get back to driving play and taking care of his own end.

Its one of the reasons I would like to see a new coach brought in. Players have gotten too complacent and allowed to get away with more stuff.

Good post, 18-19 and 19-20 Scheifele were not the same as 17-18 or 16-17 where he was dominant on the ice! He's disappeared a lot of the time on the ice the past two seasons!

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
If you want to play with numbers...he averaged 48 points a year during his ELC while missing 30 games.

Yeah, but you don't pay for guys to sit in the stands

If someone only plays 10 games a year, it really doesn't matter if he plays them at a 190-point-pace, he is still not gonna get paid much

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yeah, but you don't pay for guys to sit in the stands

If someone only plays 10 games a year, it really doesn't matter if he plays them at a 190-point-pace, he is still not gonna get paid much
Pretty sure those games were lost to injury.
His 3 years of ELC.
63 games..............34 pts
82 games..............49 pts
71 games...............61 pts
So, while saying he only broke 50 pts once is true, it doesn't tell the whole story.

Reactions: surixon

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Pretty sure those games were lost to injury.
His 3 years of ELC.
63 games..............34 pts
82 games..............49 pts
71 games...............61 pts
So, while saying he only broke 50 pts once is true, it doesn't tell the whole story.

Yes, but durability is an important part of your abilities

If you have two 1,10 ppg UFA's on the market, one who plays 82 games a year, year after year, and one who plays 5-40 games, which one are you gonna pay more?

He should have trained better, had higher hockey IQ to stay away from the dangerous collisions (like Gretzky) etc. He was compared to a bambi on ice in his first seasons, maybe falling on to the ice all the time racked up the injuries

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If you have two 1,10 ppg UFA's on the market, one who plays 82 games a year, year after year, and one who plays 5-40 games, which one are you gonna pay more?

He should have trained better, had higher hockey IQ to stay away from the dangerous collisions (like Gretzky) etc. He was compared to a bambi on ice in his first seasons, maybe falling on to the ice all the time racked up the injuries

Scheifele has always trained his ass off, it just took him a while to really develop into his frame. Your post is coming accross as pretty ignorant.

His injuries had nothing to do with him falling all over the ice it was the result of a brutal knee on knee hit.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

He also played with some pretty crap wingers then, we had one good line, Little, Ladd and Wheeler . Pretty tough to pick up assists as a center when your wingers are 3rd and 4th line talent.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Funny enough when u look outside this fanbase he's still riding that status he earned 2 years ago. But I agree with you, he hasn't been as good after that. Obviously injuries played a part too.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

That’s how I know Crosby or McDavid aren’t all that great. Don’t have the skill to avoid injury.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
He also played with some pretty crap wingers then, we had one good line, Little, Ladd and Wheeler . Pretty tough to pick up assists as a center when your wingers are 3rd and 4th line talent.

Trying to remember who his linemates were... he was with Perrault a lot - back when Perrault was actually quite good

Edit: Oh man. Matt Halischuk.

Last edited:

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Trying to remember who his linemates were... he was with Perrault a lot - back when Perrault was actually quite good

Edit: Oh man. Matt Halischuk.
Oh man did I ever forget that Matt Halischuk played for the Jets for THREE seasons (not full but yeah). How unmemorable he is...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Oh man did I ever forget that Matt Halischuk played for the Jets for THREE seasons (not full but yeah). How unmemorable he is...

Ah, HussleChuk. Those were the days, when the Jets had so little real talent that you hadda cheer on a player like Matt H as he flew around the ice without any measurable positive effect on the game. Heart. Lots of heart.

Reactions: GJF and Jets 31

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
That’s how I know Crosby or McDavid aren’t all that great. Don’t have the skill to avoid injury.

But they have managed some Art Rosses despite their injuries.

I was talking about playing 10-40 games, not about playing enough games to still lead the league in scoring. Maybe learn to read?

If you are hurt & still win scoring titles etc, you can't suck that bad.

But even for them it is true that they would get even more money (if they wanted to) etc IF they would have been able to play more games.

For example, it is probably the most overused argument conserning Crosby, that he "only lost trophies X, Y and Z only because he was hurt" = he would have been regarded even more highly IF he would have been able to stay even more healthy

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg

I was talking about playing 10-40 games, not about playing enough games to still lead the league in scoring. Maybe learn to read?

But even for them it is true that they would get even more money (if they wanted to) etc IF they would have been able to play more games.

For example, it is probably the most overused argument conserning Crosby, that he "only lost trophies X, Y and Z only because he was hurt" = he would have been regarded even more highly IF he would have been able to stay even more healthy

Scheif will never approach those two no matter how hard he works or healthy he is.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

"Learn to read" yeah you can kindly exit if you're going to pull that.

If you're talking about players who play 10-40 games a season, then who are you talking about? Martin Havlat? Why are you bringing numbers like that into your argument when it doesn't apply to anybody that the argument is about?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It would be interesting to have any kind of data on how much of a chance does a player have to avoid injury. In a sport like this you could get injured in a wide variety of ways.

Seems like blaming someone for being injured is kind of asinine, but maybe that's just me.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Oh man.

Why is it the absolute worst takes are the one's that double down on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad