Mark Scheifele - Barrie Colts, OHL

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Offensive

Good player and i like him....but does only 9 even strength goals for a #1 centerman on a team constitute top 20 status in the draft ??? Maybe, maybe not..

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Mark Scheifele (2011 7th overall - Jets)

There's only one other thread dedicated to him and it is genuinely prehistoric, so I thought to start a new one.

I'm curious as to what non-jets fans think of him. He's finally getting the exposure he deserves with playing in the WJC on the top Canadian line.

To me his best skills are puck distribution and his positioning without the puck. If you watch him in the offensive zone without the puck, he always makes himself available to whoever has the puck. His defensive play is also outstanding, he will constantly plug holes when the D is drawn out of position.

He also has a good under rated and under used shot.

His negatives are his skating, although that has improved. He is also a little lanky, but has put on some weight. Needs to keep filling out. I would say his worst negative is he relaxes a little too much when the play is over, I've seen this in every single game I've watched him. Especially during line changes, an opposing player will "accidently" clip him and down he goes. If he doesn't get rid of this habit it could lead to serious injuries. He was clipped during a Jets pre-season game after the play and went head first into the boards.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
In before the "you know" jokesters.

It's too bad he's still not playing C in the WJC.

He's much more of a natural center than a winger. I think he'd be better off if Strome and him switched places.

That being said he's adjusted admirably. I like his level of composure. In the game against the US, RNH, Hube's, and Strome all got a little rattled, but Schief could shake off hard hits and slightly dirty plays and just kept going.

Possible Lady Byng trophy in his future.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Really like this kid, probably playing with the Jets this year if nt for the lockout IMO and he's shown why. Late bloomer with sky high potential. Like his compete level.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Who would be a good NHL comparable?

Jeff Carter?

When he was drafted the comparables I saw were Patrick Sharp and a playmaking Jeff Carter.

I've also noticed Scheifele's faceoffs have taken a large step forward. He can really dominate the dot.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I like the jeff Carter comparison. Good two way shooting center with good hockey smarts. I think Scheifele will be a 30-30 center who provides great defence.

Carter may have had a better shot, and skating, where Mark is more phyiscal. Well at least that's what I see as a former flyers fan living in Winnipeg. (Now a jets fan)

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I like the jeff Carter comparison. Good two way shooting center with good hockey smarts. I think Scheifele will be a 30-30 center who provides great defence.

Carter may have had a better shot, and skating, where Mark is more phyiscal. Well at least that's what I see as a former flyers fan living in Winnipeg. (Now a jets fan)

Don't see it tbh.

Hope he can prove me wrong

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Mediocre passing skills and falls over more than ay big man I can remember. I don't see him as a blue chip prospect to be honest.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Mediocre passing skills and falls over more than ay big man I can remember. I don't see him as a blue chip prospect to be honest.

Ive been saying this for quite some time, he is still a solid prospect but I am not sure if he becomes a top line foward.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

His passing skills are fantastic. He's gotten a lot of attention lately for his great shot, but his passing skills are greater than his shot.

Yes, he does fall down and get knocked over a lot for a big guy.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
How and why did they ever take this guy before Sean Couteriour? Unreal....

Well they didn't have a scouting staff because they didn't actually exist until right before the draft started. I think they took Scheifele's coaches word (Dale Hawerchuk, who was a great Jet) and selected him.

As for his performance I thought he did alright but the last two games the play really seemed to die on his stick. Not an easy adjustment to make going to the wing from center, especially on international ice. Really had a hard time staying on his feet though, kid was flailing all over the place.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
As for Mark, I feel like he's going to take the reigns of Hartnell-down from Scott. Every time I see Schiefele he is on his tush lol. But I've seen some of Barries game this year and he has looked pretty good, I really like his game, I think he can become a 1b/2a centerman/winger capable of putting up 60 points a year while offering other intangibles.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
The diving is ridiculous. He really embarrassed himself this tourney. I'm watching the replay on NHL network now. After it was 3-0 he dove off the face off...... Completely sprawled out. Just laying on the ice eyeing the ref. He wasn't even touched. Absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
To be honest, I think Strome, Huberdeau, and him are all very overrated. They're all good junior players but I don't their skills will translate to the next levels. I can't see any of them being superstars in the NHL but I hope they prove me wrong. I'm not being biased either, I'm not too high on Zibanejad either. I think besides Landeskog, Couturier, RNH, and Larsson that Sven Baertschi will be one of the best out of that draft.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm gonna go against the theme of the thread and say I've been quite impressed with him, other than the fact he likes to dive. He's got a good engine, and although I don't see him being the driving force on a top line, I think him and Kane could be an absolute handful for any team

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He doesn't have top line talent but I really liked his game. He'll be a versatile 2nd line forward in the NHL, imo. He was one of Canada's better players. Not sure why he's getting so much hate.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To be honest, I think Strome, Huberdeau, and him are all very overrated. They're all good junior players but I don't their skills will translate to the next levels. I can't see any of them being superstars in the NHL but I hope they prove me wrong. I'm not being biased either, I'm not too high on Zibanejad either. I think besides Landeskog, Couturier, RNH, and Larsson that Sven Baertschi will be one of the best out of that draft.

I'd be willing to bet a lot against that statement.
Strome.. Zibby.. Scheif.. I can see where you are coming from. Hub on the other hand.. no way. 70pts in one of his first 2 seasons (unless he gets injured) i'd predict.

As for Sheif... I'd say he's a definite top 6 guy, but I don't know if he has the top end talent to be a 1st liner. I'm sure he will get the chance to be, but Idk what he will do with it.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'd be willing to bet a lot against that statement.
Strome.. Zibby.. Scheif.. I can see where you are coming from. Hub on the other hand.. no way. 70pts in one of his first 2 seasons (unless he gets injured) i'd predict.

As for Sheif... I'd say he's a definite top 6 guy, but I don't know if he has the top end talent to be a 1st liner. I'm sure he will get the chance to be, but Idk what he will do with it.

This is pretty fair. As a jet fan, i wasn't happy with the Schiefele pick at the time, but the kids shown enough over the past year and a half to get me excited.

to me he seems almost a lock to be a top 6, but i think his top end potential is as a mid to lower level first liner, he certainly won't be a super star. one of the best 2centers's or a 1center where his wingers are better is how i see him, though i think his skills will make him an excellent fit between kane and wheeler, provided he can keep up with their level.

I feel bad for him because of the never ending Couturier comparison. Since 2000 most picks from 5-10th overall haven't become more then third liners (only 42% become 19+minute defencemen or 45+ point scorers and only 30% of 8th overalls do) so there's kind of an unfair expectation that he SHOULD be a star.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Can't get over how much this guy dives, whines to refs and yaps with opposing players. Really off-putting to watch him out on the ice and he is always falling over, would also rate his high-level decision making and passing at not a first-line level. His decisions at NHL speed are going to be even more rushed, can't see him being a first line center ever in the big show.

He is big and uses his body and is an above-average skater with a good shot and stickhandling however. Just don't think he will live up to what Jets fans want him to be. Think he'll be putting points up in the range of a guy like Jakub Voracek - 40-55 a year second line winger or centre with some decent defensive value but don't think he will be a star.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He seems like the guy who will be at the right spot at the right time. He scored some goals in this WJC just because of that.. it's a great talent to have. He saw more ice time than any other player in the WJC.. and not in the good way :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad