Mark Scheifele - Barrie Colts, OHL

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think hes a lot like Spezza in every way, probably ready by 2012-13 season, he can play with those guys and I think hes gonna be better than some of those players in the top 10. Just isn't there cause hes a rookie in the OHL and isn't very big compared to some of the prospects, very skinny at the moment but will grow out, give him time.

Not sure I'm crazy about the Spezza comparison.

He was a lot more aggressive in using his size in the second half of the season. By the end of the year, he was really starting to become a big factor in chasing down loose pucks and battling along the boards. He was also being more assertive in front of the net. While he's definitely a stronger playmaker than finisher, I think he'll likely develop into more of a workhorse type center who'll be strong enough to play down low.

Spezza may have size, but he's tremendous with the puck on his stick and not as great without it. Where as I see Scheifele as the type of center who'll be the workman of a scoring line, the guy who does all the little things away from the puck that create scoring chances. That's not saying I expect him to develop a huge mean streak and become a serious power center, but he's very smart and very crafty. Almost like a Steve Rucchin.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
from a stats point of view, he's created as much value offensively as anyone else when it comes to CHL prospect except for Nugent-Hopkins. He projects well defensively as well. Only drawback I have is that he's played on poor teams so far whether in the OHL or in the OJAHL. I think he projects as a David Legwand type.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
from a stats point of view, he's created as much value offensively as anyone else when it comes to CHL prospect except for Nugent-Hopkins. He projects well defensively as well. Only drawback I have is that he's played on poor teams so far whether in the OHL or in the OJAHL. I think he projects as a David Legwand type.

Ekblad should help him out next season. ;)

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
"Shy-flee"

2 syllables.

And please leave him on the board until Toronto is on the clock, kthanks. ;)

Or is it Shy-fell-ee? I've heard it pronounced various ways and I have an acquantence who's last name is the same and he pronounces his "Shyfellee"

JMcLeaf

Is this guy similar to Ryan Johansen at all? I haven't seen him play so I can't really make a judgement but I'm just comparing stats, size and the few scouting reports I have read about Scheifele. If I recall correctly wasn't Johansen ranked at a similar spot this time last year?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I hope the Bruins draft him at 9th if Mika is gone.

very successful rookie season and now tourney.

At this pace he would go top 5 in next years draft

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I hope the Bruins draft him at 9th if Mika is gone.

very successful rookie season and now tourney.

At this pace he would go top 5 in next years draft

The 2012 draft? Isn't that draft projected to be a better one than the 2011 draft? I have read comparisons with the 2008 draft, even the 2003 class. Yakupov, Ryan Murray, Alex Galchenyuk, Martin Frk, Dumba, Grigorenko, Nick Ebert, etc.

I am hoping one of the two Marks (McNeill and Scheifele) becomes a Leaf on draft day

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Is this guy similar to Ryan Johansen at all? I haven't seen him play so I can't really make a judgement but I'm just comparing stats, size and the few scouting reports I have read about Scheifele. If I recall correctly wasn't Johansen ranked at a similar spot this time last year?

thats the name that came to my mind while watching Scheifele at the u-18 so far. i would say he has been more impressive than McNeill. Look to have more natural skill than McNeill

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I like him a lot. Like nhldraftvideo said, his hands are better than McNeil's and he plays a big man's game. Good head for the game as well.

I think he could be an excellent #2 center.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
Those were some super soft hands behind the net on the tying goal today. A lot of players would have flubbed it. Then he got it back to Murray and scored the goal. It was a real eyebrow raising play. I think it's pretty clear he has better hands than McNeil.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Anybody wanna take a guess where he'll be picked now? I'd say he was in 15-25 area before the U18, but now I think he's a legit top 15 prospect. too bad though..

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Severely underestimated this guy because he put up points on a crappy team. Really showed he can lead the charge, use his body and has super-soft hands in these u-18's. I'm now a fan.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Severely underestimated this guy because he put up points on a crappy team. Really showed he can lead the charge, use his body and has super-soft hands in these u-18's. I'm now a fan.

Welcome to the darkside. Glad your on board mate! :handclap:

I've been championing him to be picked with LAK's pick. I may even prefer him over McNeill after seeing how good his hands are.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So who is the better player? Him or McNeill because as an Oiler fan, i'd be happy with either but i think that the Oilers have a better chance of getting Schiefele without having to trade up. I see that he is listed at 6'3 175 lbs, does he gets pushed around a lot because of his skinny frame?

Madic

May 21, 2008
i taught is name was more like Chef Field

I know it s not written like that but is it?
lol what? It's Shy-fell-ee. The "fell" part can sound like "full" when said quickly. I have no clue where "chef field" comes in.
So who is the better player? Him or McNeill because as an Oiler fan, i'd be happy with either but i think that the Oilers have a better chance of getting Schiefele without having to trade up. I see that he is listed at 6'3 175 lbs, does he gets pushed around a lot because of his skinny frame?
Depends where LAs pick ends up...I doubt either of those two are around after 16 or 17. And it sounds silly to base this on U18 viewings, but unless McNeill has some hidden offensive ability, I can see Scheifele going before McNeill. Easily.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mark Scheifele

Did anyone see a lot of the Barrie Colts this year? I'm looking for some insight on Mark Scheifele and what type of player he is and may become.

ISS has him at #29 in their most recent rankings. Woodlief had this to say about him after the U-18:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2011-04-23-red-line-draft_N.htm

•Red Line has just returned from the all-important World Under-18 Championships, where players can make or break their draft status, and from a draft perspective the big winner — hands down — was Barrie's Mark Scheifele. The big center was rather hamstrung without quality players to work alongside in Barrie all year, but was a beast pivoting Team Canada's top line at the tournament in Germany. His great hands and skills were on display as he racked up six goals and created dangerous chances nearly every shift.

As a first-year major junior player on a poor club, Scheifele had some growing pains and a lot of learning to do this season. He's also nowhere near fully developed physically at 6-2 and just 175 pounds, but he has a great frame to fill out and should be a real load to handle once he adds about 20-25 pounds of upper body strength. In fact, we think so highly of his upside that we've moved him from just outside the first round on our rankings to a point where he's knocking on the door of the top 10 overall. At Red Line, we look for prospects whose development curve is headed straight upward – and Scheifele is one such player in this year's field.

edit: whoops, did a search but the other thread didn't come up. MOD - feel free to delete or move this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->