Mark Mitera vs Ty Wishart vs David Fishcer

Randall Graves*

three defensemen taken pretty close to each other in the draft, i've seen Mitera play plenty but am kinda wondering about the other two as well, and how all three stack up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For now Fischer would be behind the others. He's playing well on the 3rd pairing, getting a regular shift just not on the PP (except for when Eric Johnson was at the wjc's) I've been impressed with Fischer's defensive play, he's good with his stick and positionally sound. His best asset is likely his puck moving ability and vision plus he's a good skater. But so far he's not done much offensively, although he almost scored against CC this past weekend which would have been his first goal.

So for now he's still very raw, just turned 19, so I suspect he will be at Minnesota for at least 2 more years. That said I really like his upside down the road and think he has the highest upside of the Habs D prospects.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
For now Fischer would be behind the others. He's playing well on the 3rd pairing, getting a regular shift just not on the PP (except for when Eric Johnson was at the wjc's) I've been impressed with Fischer's defensive play, he's good with his stick and positionally sound. His best asset is likely his puck moving ability and vision plus he's a good skater. But so far he's not done much offensively, although he almost scored against CC this past weekend which would have been his first goal.

So for now he's still very raw, just turned 19, so I suspect he will be at Minnesota for at least 2 more years. That said I really like his upside down the road and think he has the highest upside of the Habs D prospects.

I would add U Minnesota has one of the world's best development programs for offensive defensemen.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
So would you say Mitera may be like Willie Mitchell? Good with the stick work but not overally physical but still strong in his own end?

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Ty Wishart plays for the Prince George Cougars, who have an impressive list of d-men graduates, too...

That being said, I won't weigh in since I've never seen Lewis or Mitera play.

such as hamhuis, brewer, chara etc...

i was hoping the canucks would draft wishart, and i like grabner but i think wishart is gonna be a very good pro.

Randall Graves*

So would you say Mitera may be like Willie Mitchell? Good with the stick work but not overally physical but still strong in his own end?
That's not a bad comparison, I kinda liken him to Regehr as a guy who could possibly play on your top shutdown D pairing, same is true for Willie Mitchell. But he is pretty physical, especially in the corners.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That's not a bad comparison, I kinda liken him to Regehr as a guy who could possibly play on your top shutdown D pairing, same is true for Willie Mitchell. But he is pretty physical, especially in the corners.

Mitera will never be as good as Regehr. Mitera's upside was always talked about as a 2nd pairing d-man. Not a top line shut down guy like Regehr. He was a safe pick but a guy without TONS of upside.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

I've watched him play about 7 games this season & I agree with this post. Not fair to judge him just yet, he's gonna take time but I like what I see so far.

Randall Graves*

Mitera will never be as good as Regehr. Mitera's upside was always talked about as a 2nd pairing d-man. Not a top line shut down guy like Regehr. He was a safe pick but a guy without TONS of upside.
Be honest, have you watched him play this season? not trying to be a smartass here, i'm being serious. His defensive fundamentals are outstanding, he's been physical in the games i've watched and uses his reach very well. Do you equate offense to upside? he'll never be a big scorer but he is very very good in his own end.

He went a dozen game stretch where teams only scored ONE ES goal against him on the ice. He has played outstanding in the 2nd half of the college season.

It doesn't really matter what people 'thought' vs what someone is doing right now..

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Be honest, have you watched him play this season? not trying to be a smartass here, i'm being serious. His defensive fundamentals are outstanding, he's been physical in the games i've watched and uses his reach very well. Do you equate offense to upside? he'll never be a big scorer but he is very very good in his own end.

He went a dozen game stretch where teams only scored ONE ES goal against him on the ice. He has played outstanding in the 2nd half of the college season.

It doesn't really matter what people 'thought' vs what someone is doing right now..

Of course I've watched him play. I love Michigan (I try and stay away from favorites, but Michigan has always been a team I've loved since I was a kid).

The reason I don't see him as a Regehr is simply because I don't think he plays that style well enough at this age and the fact that his game really hasn't gotten much better in a while. I don't think he's topped out or anything, he just isn't the type of player I see improving enough to reach that level of play. He's not a dominating player by any means even at the college level. Just a very solid, dependable guy.

When I see him, I can see a Brendan Witt (with a bit less of a mean streak). You know, a dependable defensive player who plays physical, has a decent but unspectacular stride, and who you know can log some minutes and give you solid play out there without worrying you.

To me, that's Mitera in a nutshell.

Randall Graves*

Of course I've watched him play. I love Michigan (I try and stay away from favorites, but Michigan has always been a team I've loved since I was a kid).

The reason I don't see him as a Regehr is simply because I don't think he plays that style well enough at this age and the fact that his game really hasn't gotten much better in a while. I don't think he's topped out or anything, he just isn't the type of player I see improving enough to reach that level of play. He's not a dominating player by any means even at the college level. Just a very solid, dependable guy.

When I see him, I can see a Brendan Witt (with a bit less of a mean streak). You know, a dependable defensive player who plays physical, has a decent but unspectacular stride, and who you know can log some minutes and give you solid play out there without worrying you.

To me, that's Mitera in a nutshell.
He's way quicker than Brenden Witt.

Things I think he does well
-Outlet passes
-Using the boards and angles to clear pucks instead of making dangerous passes
-Physical in the corners and in front of the net
-Positioning
-Usage of the stick, of the 7/8 games i've watched this year it seems like he takes alot of pucks off sticks

I like his defensive fundamentals alot, like I said before he had a stretch where teams just never scored when he was on the ice recently and I think he was paired with offensive guys while that streak occured.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's not "way quicker" than Witt. He's a slightly better skater. Witt is not an awful skater. He has an awkward stride, but he's not a plodding, stuck in mud kind of guy.

You like everything that he has that I like as well, but I still fail to see how he somehow translates from a pretty good college kid to an all world shut down defender like Regehr. Either I'm REALLY overrating Regehr or you're really overrating Mitera.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Mitrera will be a good top 4 defenceman. Wishart will as well, while Fischer will be an all around defenceman.

I agree about Wishart and Mitera. Both will be solid, dependable top 4 guys.

I think Fischer has the ability to be a #1/2 defenseman with game breaking ability. His potential is tremendous. Next year is going to be a good year to really see how he's able to tap some of it with more playing time.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
He's way quicker than Brenden Witt.

Things I think he does well
-Outlet passes
-Using the boards and angles to clear pucks instead of making dangerous passes
-Physical in the corners and in front of the net
-Positioning
-Usage of the stick, of the 7/8 games i've watched this year it seems like he takes alot of pucks off sticks

I like his defensive fundamentals alot, like I said before he had a stretch where teams just never scored when he was on the ice recently and I think he was paired with offensive guys while that streak occured.

*****in college*****

He could get better, he could regress, but lots changes once you get to the pros.

Randall Graves*

He's not "way quicker" than Witt. He's a slightly better skater. Witt is not an awful skater. He has an awkward stride, but he's not a plodding, stuck in mud kind of guy.

You like everything that he has that I like as well, but I still fail to see how he somehow translates from a pretty good college kid to an all world shut down defender like Regehr. Either I'm REALLY overrating Regehr or you're really overrating Mitera.
He's a good skater for his size, Witt has always seemed slow to me, Mitera looks faster. and his wingspan seems larger too.

Were Mitchell or Regehr highly regarded? Not really but he has the defensive fundamentals to make him a very good player, and the Anaheim scouting staff is very happy with his progress this season, next year he's probably going to be Michigans #1 Dman and should continue to improve with increase ice time.

I never called him a future #1 defensemen, but a guy who can play on your top shutdown pairing, I just happen to like his size, positioning, and overall fundamentals over more 'toolsy' guys like say David Fischer who may have more upside but aren't as polished.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randall Graves*

*****in college*****

He could get better, he could regress, but lots changes once you get to the pros.
He's improved over last season, I would call that progress. You can attach this to any player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->