Mark Messier Sucker Punch On Jamie Macoun

Supreme King

Aug 24, 2011
Parts Unknown
This was another reason why Messier was such an intimidating presence. Early in the game (in 1984-85 season) Macoun had badly boarded Messier. Messier much later in the game then decided to send a message to Macoun by sucker punching him from behind and in the process breaking his cheek bone in two places.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FOOTAGE OF THIS?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I had seen plenty of sucker punches from Messier and Tikkanen in their Edmonton days. They amde it an art form.:laugh: If the ref was looking away, Mess took advantage with his stick, elbow or even head(butt).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This was another reason why Messier was such an intimidating presence. Early in the game (in 1984-85 season) Macoun had badly boarded Messier. Messier much later in the game then decided to send a message to Macoun by sucker punching him from behind and in the process breaking his cheek bone in two places.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FOOTAGE OF THIS?
Good question. I've read/heard a lot about this one, too, but I can't recall ever seeing it.

The classic vid of Messier awesomeness/nastiness:

Supreme King

Aug 24, 2011
Parts Unknown
Good question. I've read/heard a lot about this one, too, but I can't recall ever seeing it.

The classic vid of Messier awesomeness/nastiness:

Messier after he sucker punched Macoun "I snapped, but if I don't get even for I thing like that I have a short career."

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=pKUFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5922,457809&hl=en

As for the video, what a brutal check from behind on Mike Eaves in game seven of the 1984 Smythe division finals. Messier was a tour de force that game.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I know Messier sort of made a living out of doing this stuff, especially earlier in his career and it isn't as if we should glamourize cheap shots, but the thing is, he was a warrior and he never hid behind anyone either. Look at that video, Joel Otto had tons of heated games against Messier and was bigger than him but never seemed to send him a message. Honestly, how often did someone send Messier a message? Like it or not, everyone was scared of him and he took it to his advantage and used that in the context of winning.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, Mess wasn't a fighter per se (why would he be when he got 100+ point per year), but he was a scary mofo in the Edmonton years.

He did go toe-to-toe with Roberts (in the video above), and once with McSorley (circa 1990), so it wasn't like he backed down from tough guys. Of course, he also took some liberties against players smaller than him, but horses for courses...

Not to excuse Messier's awful cheap-shots, but there were lots of guys up to the late-80s who did the same (Chelios for example, was one of the worst ever). It was how you got space, since the refs back then allowed players to strangle each other without penalties.

Joel Otto basically owes his career to Messier, since Badger Bob brought him up from US college circa 1985 specifically to counter Messier at center... at which Otto did a heck of a job. Otto was so huge that Messier couldn't physically take him down. (Otto basically did the same vs. Messier for Philly years later.)

Messier did seem to change a bit starting around 1989-90 (his best season) when he fully accepted the mantle and responsibilities as team leader. He was dishing it out less and picking his spots more, and generally was less 'wild'.

(Of course, there's also that awful cheap-shot to Modano in the mid-90s, so...)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I know Messier sort of made a living out of doing this stuff, especially earlier in his career and it isn't as if we should glamourize cheap shots, but the thing is, he was a warrior and he never hid behind anyone either. Look at that video, Joel Otto had tons of heated games against Messier and was bigger than him but never seemed to send him a message. Honestly, how often did someone send Messier a message? Like it or not, everyone was scared of him and he took it to his advantage and used that in the context of winning.

Several players sent a message to Messier. Messier was a dirty ****. Expert at third man ins. I know Kocur made him run away and hide behind refs. He did that multiple times in fact. Hide behind the refs I mean. If rats are from Canada they get respect for "doing whatever to win".

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Several players sent a message to Messier. Messier was a dirty ****. Expert at third man ins. I know Kocur made him run away and hide behind refs. He did that multiple times in fact. Hide behind the refs I mean. If rats are from Canada they get respect for "doing whatever to win".

I'm fine with a rat as long as he backs it up on the ice. When did Messier cower away? I don't remember the Kocur thing.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I'm fine with a rat as long as he backs it up on the ice. When did Messier cower away? I don't remember the Kocur thing.

So you're fine with Ulf? :naughty:

The Kocur thing happened sometime before Kocur was traded to the rangers (go figure). Ill see if I can find the tape for exact date.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
So you're fine with Ulf? :naughty:

The Kocur thing happened sometime before Kocur was traded to the rangers (go figure). Ill see if I can find the tape for exact date.

Imagine if Ulf caused the same deliberate damage as Messier…maybe they would introduce a leadership award named
after him?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Messier-in-the-80s is definitely the winner of the "Gordie Howe Award" (awarded to the League's nastiest SOB who everyone is also in awe of).

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada

There was a short clip on youtube (can't find it now) where Messier and Robinson collide at center ice from a game in the early 80's. They both glare at each other menacingly but there is no fight. Robinson looked more eager to go and Messier looks more willing to back down.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Messier after he sucker punched Macoun "I snapped, but if I don't get even for I thing like that I have a short career."

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=pKUFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5922,457809&hl=en

As for the video, what a brutal check from behind on Mike Eaves in game seven of the 1984 Smythe division finals. Messier was a tour de force that game.

There was a worse one a decade later on Mike something (Hough?). Amazed it didn't cause a paralysis.

Amusing thing about that video is that Moose's celebrations in an Oilers uniform are far more flamboyant than the ones Don Cherry took Ovechkin to task for.

Edit:

Hit on Hough

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, that Mike Hough one is a terrible collision, but part of that is on Hough, honestly. He suddenly turns his back to the oncoming player at the moment before impact. Mess was trying to take him out physically, but he wasn't expecting Hough to suddenly turn at the last second.

Not saying it wasn't a nasty hit, but when the player suddenly turns his back at the moment before impact, a guy who's just made 5 strides to check you is going to look bad.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
There was a short clip on youtube (can't find it now) where Messier and Robinson collide at center ice from a game in the early 80's. They both glare at each other menacingly but there is no fight. Robinson looked more eager to go and Messier looks more willing to back down.

Was that in the '81 playoffs? Because Robinson going after Messier and Messier making like he was going to take a baseball-like swing at big bird's head was widely credited by his teammates as helping to cultivate the brash, cocky culture that became a signature of those teams.

If that's the one, I wouldn't characterize it as backing down. Robinson doesn't back down either but does appear to go from wanting to fight to just shaking his head and giving a, 'son, quit acting like a maniac' lecture.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Was that in the '81 playoffs? Because Robinson going after Messier and Messier making like he was going to take a baseball-like swing at big bird's head was widely credited by his teammates as helping to cultivate the brash, cocky culture that became a signature of those teams.

If that's the one, I wouldn't characterize it as backing down. Robinson doesn't back down either but does appear to go from wanting to fight to just shaking his head and giving a, 'son, quit acting like a maniac' lecture.

I don't remember this specific incident but Robinson would have murdered him which is why Messier resorts to the stick.

Messier was tough and physical but he was a cheapshotter and he didn't back it up when he got called for it imo.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I think the point that was being made earlier in the thread is that rarely did anyone ever try to call Messier on it.

He played 25 years. If someone wanted to grab him and pummel him ala McCarty on Lemieux, they had their chances.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada

Yes, I do recall Messier looking like he was going to take a swing. I'd say that was more out of fear and respect for Robinson than a cultivating of the Oilers' attitude. That came more from out scoring opponents by wide margins.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I think the point that was being made earlier in the thread is that rarely did anyone ever try to call Messier on it.

He played 25 years. If someone wanted to grab him and pummel him ala McCarty on Lemieux, they had their chances.

A couple of guys tried... notably McSorley, but there was too much interference for a proper beatdown to take place.

Nothing pisses me of more than seeing just how quickly the zebras jumped in on the occasions where it looked as though Messier might get his ass whipped in a fight.

After all the cheap shots he dealt out in his career, it would have been nice to see him get some justice handed to him just once.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Messier was afraid of Robinson?

Messier got special protection from the officials?

Come. On. If anyone spewed that degree of hyperbole in SUPPORT of Messier, there'd be no end of criticism for it.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Messier was afraid of Robinson?

Messier got special protection from the officials?

Come. On. If anyone spewed that degree of hyperbole in SUPPORT of Messier, there'd be no end of criticism for it.

Most stars get special protection from officials. Even the rats.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I'm not a Messier fan but a Canucks fan, but in retrospect i kind of like Messier's fiasco tenure in Vancouver simply because it tarnished his image quite a bit. :D

Sundin had a better impact on the Sedins and Kesler, both leadership & player wise, playing half a season in Vancouver than Messier had on any players in three years.

Yeah, except Näslund who said that Messier was a good mentor or something like that. Says it all really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->