Player Discussion Mark Jankowski

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Imagine if Bennett and jank come as advertised?

NVM, Todd button is our scout...luck on works sometimes

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Imagine if Bennett and jank come as advertised?

NVM, Todd button is our scout...luck on works sometimes

???

Bennett was a first rounder for which Button’s input was limited due to GM decision making, but he was an obvious BPA anyways at that point. Can’t fault that. Plus, there’s significant debate about whether he was rushed because he started off with so much promise, which again isn't a scouting issue.

Janko was a Weisbrod pet selection along with Sieloff. Again, I’m guessing button’s input was limited. Janko was also a crazy project, so it was stupid high risk vs reward anyways.

Button on the other hand is directly in charge of the later round selections in the last few years when Treliving loosened his reigns and let him run. We still gush over some of those late round pics that obviously aren’t overly tainted by GM mandate like size and whatnot. Dude is pretty solid at finding late round gems.

I mean if you had more interesting reasons to shoot pot shots at Button, go for it and I’ll listen to logical reason. But Bennett isn’t his fault and Janko is even more not his fault. I’m going to have to say you’re way out to lunch on that last post.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Remember that Burke was actually the head of the table at that draft, essentially. Barring a cheese steak meteor destroying Philly, we were taking Bennett at that spot.

I forget who I was debating with who essentially said that Treliving was the official GM at the time and thus it's his responsibility since Burke was POHO and not GM and Treliving signed off on the decisions... but I think it's a semantics argument and I disagree that that draft was run based on Treliving's modus operandi as all subsequent drafts were obviously a different mentality. Dude showed up, saw a lot of stuff that was in the works already and he didn't want to rock the boat. He also took that liberty to just watch how things unfolded and spent more time understanding the org operations at the time. I'd also say that even if he had a say, if Conroy's comments about tiers of players in all drafts, it's obvious that there was no other option at 4OA without "going off the board".

The commonly accepted 2014 draft top BPA tier was Ekblad, Draisaitl and the two Sams. I also seem to recall that Virtanen and MDC had more fanfare than Ehlers and Nylander. Even without Burke at the head table, I don't see us drafting anyone else. It's also funny because I recall that draft first round had a ton of can't miss centre prospects, but that draft has been nothing but excellent wingers. Attempts to develop those centre prospects as centres hasn't seemingly gone well for any team except Detroit and Larkin.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Remember that Burke was actually the head of the table at that draft, essentially. Barring a cheese steak meteor destroying Philly, we were taking Bennett at that spot.
Yup.

Like, it could have been worse - could've picked Dal Colle. Or Fleury. No matter who was in charge they weren't going off board to take Nylander or Ehlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad