Player Discussion Mark Jankowski

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Jankowski isn’t even that skinny anymore. Guy was drafted at like 160lbs wasn’t he? 212lbs is a good weight, and I doubt he’s going to get much heavier than that aside from gaining more fat, considering he’s almost 25 years old. He’s clearly not a bulky guy and anymore weight has the potential to make an already slow player even slower.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Janko is such a weird prospect. He was drafted due to crazy offensive skill as a kid but we known to be a long term project. He spent all his college time developing as a pure defensive minded forward.

I feel like his failure track looks similar to Baertschi. One dimensional offensive forward who spent a ton of time developing a defensive game and then couldn't figure out how to play. Barts looks like he will be fine late career though. But there was a long time he looked so lost on the ice.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Janko is such a weird prospect. He was drafted due to crazy offensive skill as a kid but we known to be a long term project. He spent all his college time developing as a pure defensive minded forward.

I feel like his failure track looks similar to Baertschi. One dimensional offensive forward who spent a ton of time developing a defensive game and then couldn't figure out how to play. Barts looks like he will be fine late career though. But there was a long time he looked so lost on the ice.
I think they're pretty different. Baertschi reminds me of Monahan in that he was drafted with the expectation of being a great two-way player (compared to Hossa as Monahan was compared to Toews) and neither of them ended up being particularly good defensively in the NHL.

Janko was a straight-up wild card. He was entirely raw tools, and I just don't think they panned out to the extent Weisbrod expected.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think they're pretty different. Baertschi reminds me of Monahan in that he was drafted with the expectation of being a great two-way player (compared to Hossa as Monahan was compared to Toews) and neither of them ended up being particularly good defensively in the NHL.

Janko was a straight-up wild card. He was entirely raw tools, and I just don't think they panned out to the extent Weisbrod expected.

I don't recall anything that hinted that Baertschi had great two way play potential at all. He had great offense, but when he was asked to work on his defensive game, he did so at the cost of his offense and got completely lost seemingly with two conflicting mind frames in his head. There was definitely plenty of talk about square peg round holes during his time here and it didn't help our farm team situation was a complete mess prior to Treliving arriving. He's doing better now at combining the two in Vancouver, but I think the damage done to his offensive game is permanent. He will never be as dynamically offensive as when he was first drafted.

Janko was a complete wild card project. I agree. But supposedly, he was scouted at the time as a super lanky high skill dynamic forward that was essentially comparable to Gaudreau. He went to Providence which played a super stifling defensive game intending to round out his game as well as to fill out his frame. He looked like he was figuring out how to do things in the AHL and I think some of the production stuff, a few fans felt it would come sooner or later, but I feel like he too plays with two conflicting mind frames. We can see the offensive creativity in his short handed goals, but serious problems playing at full strength (ie: Joe Colborne comparison). Like Baertschi, I feel he had damage to his offensive game and he will never be as dynamically offensive as when he was first drafted.

I felt both guys had high offense, but ended up damaging their game rounding themselves out. That's what I was comparing.

Monahan on the other hand, I am not too sure what to think just yet. I feel like Monahan has been cutting corners since he was drafted. HOWEVER, I feel like he cut corners out of necessity. No one addresses it appropriately, but Monahan has had a ridiculously injury filled career so far, a few that required surgery.

- Multi season wrist issues
- Back issues prior to extension
- Hand issues this past season

Am I missing anything else? TBH, if Monahan now takes his injury recovery more serious, maybe he can continue to develop rather than cutting corners just to keep treading water. I think he could still develop to be a decent two way player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't recall anything that hinted that Baertschi had great two way play potential at all. He had great offense, but when he was asked to work on his defensive game, he did so at the cost of his offense and got completely lost seemingly with two conflicting mind frames in his head. There was definitely plenty of talk about square peg round holes during his time here and it didn't help our farm team situation was a complete mess prior to Treliving arriving. He's doing better now at combining the two in Vancouver, but I think the damage done to his offensive game is permanent. He will never be as dynamically offensive as when he was first drafted.

Janko was a complete wild card project. I agree. But supposedly, he was scouted at the time as a super lanky high skill dynamic forward that was essentially comparable to Gaudreau. He went to Providence which played a super stifling defensive game intending to round out his game as well as to fill out his frame. He looked like he was figuring out how to do things in the AHL and I think some of the production stuff, a few fans felt it would come sooner or later, but I feel like he too plays with two conflicting mind frames. We can see the offensive creativity in his short handed goals, but serious problems playing at full strength (ie: Joe Colborne comparison). Like Baertschi, I feel he had damage to his offensive game and he will never be as dynamically offensive as when he was first drafted.

I felt both guys had high offense, but ended up damaging their game rounding themselves out. That's what I was comparing.

Monahan on the other hand, I am not too sure what to think just yet. I feel like Monahan has been cutting corners since he was drafted. HOWEVER, I feel like he cut corners out of necessity. No one addresses it appropriately, but Monahan has had a ridiculously injury filled career so far, a few that required surgery.

- Multi season wrist issues
- Back issues prior to extension
- Hand issues this past season

Am I missing anything else? TBH, if Monahan now takes his injury recovery more serious, maybe he can continue to develop rather than cutting corners just to keep treading water. I think he could still develop to be a decent two way player.
The Baertschi two-way player stuff was strictly while he was in junior. Once he was drafted, like Monahan, he ended up being below average defensively. I do agree that Baertschi probably had a higher potential ceiling than what he became (and was poorly developed in the NHL); I just don't really agree with that on Jankowski.

The thing that has always struck me about Jankowski is how slowly he does things. He's not a dumb or stone handed player by any means (though he's obviously not top tier in either regard), but his brain and hands both seem to work at half the speed of your average top 6 forward, so he makes fewer decisions and moves offensively. If he was quicker at those two things, I'm sure we'd be looking at a top 6 calibre player rather than a borderline 3rd liner.

Reactions: Fig

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
That often happens when you're still filling out your frame. The mind says one thing and the body tries to catch up. Weight and strength will equalize at some point and the big man will motor on.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That often happens when you're still filling out your frame. The mind says one thing and the body tries to catch up. Weight and strength will equalize at some point and the big man will motor on.
Sure, if he was still 18. We're now talking about a 24 year old pro hockey player; I think we're beyond the stage at which we can expect weight and strength to equalize. Some people move and think more slowly than others, and I would be extremely surprised if that wasn't the case for Jankowski.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I don't mind him as a PK guy and a 3 or 4C, but daaaaamnn:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I am telling you guys. When you bulk up like Janks has it takes time to get used to the frame. When he is like 28 we will know what we have in him as a player. I 100% wouldn't give up on him yet. He's cheap and cost controlled for the most part. He can score goals and if he can become physical he will be a monster. Worth more to us if we just keep him and hope he figures it all out. I still think he can be a top 6.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I am telling you guys. When you bulk up like Janks has it takes time to get used to the frame. When he is like 28 we will know what we have in him as a player. I 100% wouldn't give up on him yet. He's cheap and cost controlled for the most part. He can score goals and if he can become physical he will be a monster. Worth more to us if we just keep him and hope he figures it all out. I still think he can be a top 6.

While I'm not 100% opposed to keeping him around in a 4th line role, the amount of guys that turn it around at 28 is pretty slim. D. Ryan is actually one of the few I can even think of.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Whats this guy like as a player, is he a good skater? Does he succeed in a third line role or does he need to be heavily sheltered (like offensive zone starts and whatnot)?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Whats this guy like as a player, is he a good skater? Does he succeed in a third line role or does he need to be heavily sheltered (like offensive zone starts and whatnot)?
He’s a dollar store knock off of Sean Couturier.

Skates pretty good. Actually plays 4th line and PK. Needs to use his size more effectively and could play with more confidence. Needs to see the game better at NHL speed. Probably slightly under-utilized but not a lot.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
He definitely did not meet expectations as a third line forward but frankly his line in general was the worst on the Flames. On the PK he was good at scoring but was average at the actual defending as our special teams were average. He's a strong skater and can sometimes show pretty good flashes of talent like his shorthanded goal against Arizona, but he isn't a world beater and is expected as a fourth or third liner (I hope fourth since Ryan is straight up better than him)

Reactions: jaric1862

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would argue he is Joe Colborne, but better defensively and worse hands. He's a perimeter player that possesses a terrific shot but is a very poor passer. He's also a guy that plays way smaller than 6'4''.

He needs ample space to create anything, hence why he is so good on the PK and looks lost at even strength. He has room to grow but I don't think our cup window has time to wait for him

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
This is Jankowski's year he starts to show... Like he's pregnant. He'll glow on the ice and score 35 pts on the 3rd line and Treliving will sign him to a 8 year 2.9 million per year deal and he'll end up being a 60 - 80 pt player on the second line. Book it or @Dube Dube Doo will eat his shoe.

Reactions: Big guns

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Jankowski plays a bit timid like he's still new to the league and in awe of the league vets. Once he gets over that and realizes that with his size he should be able to go wherever and whenever he wants, he will be more effective. I also think he needs to shorten his stick a bit to give him better puck control. Either that or he really needs to work on his passing game. The 3rd line didn't out perform too many last year and I don't know whether it was due to Jankowski, Bennett or Neal. I suspect a combination of all three as the chemistry seemed better when Czarnik played RW.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I would argue he is Joe Colborne, but better defensively and worse hands. He's a perimeter player that possesses a terrific shot but is a very poor passer. He's also a guy that plays way smaller than 6'4''.

He needs ample space to create anything, hence why he is so good on the PK and looks lost at even strength. He has room to grow but I don't think our cup window has time to wait for him
Totally agree. They're basically the same (extremely tall) player in terms of their biggest flaws - can't think fast enough, soft on the puck given their size, minimal killer instinct.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He’s a dollar store knock off of Sean Couturier.

Skates pretty good. Actually plays 4th line and PK. Needs to use his size more effectively and could play with more confidence. Needs to see the game better at NHL speed. Probably slightly under-utilized but not a lot.

Knock off of Sean Couturier? LOL....There is nothing similar between them except for maybe size. Also Couts is a character player. Jank would quit if you stare at him.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Somebody needs to slap Jankowski around a bit. He has skill and isn't that slow for a big guy. He needs to arrive in an angry mood and realize that with his frame he should be able to go where he wants to go on the ice. Be a bully. Take the puck away from them smaller guys. Because if you don't you're trade bait. Or at risk of being waived and sent down. There are cheaper guys down there that can do the job you are supposed to do.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
puck luck is a bizarre thing. Janko has not had it so far across the 16 games he has played. But his underlying numbers are outstanding this year and we know he can shoot the puck. It would be a mistake to overreact to his statline... it was exactly this time a year ago that Ryan Strome had 1g and 1a in 18 games and that was with an elevated role on his team. Look at Strome since then - 23G and 24A in 77 GP.

Janko's season will turn around, and hopefully it's just the panacea we need in the playoffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If you look at the most effective fourth lines around the league, a common them is that they have guys you seem to genuinely enjoy and relish their role and their identity as fourth liners. That's how it feels with the Cizikas line on the Island and the Reaves line in Vegas. That was how it was with Stajan/Jackman/Nonstopoulos back when we had an effective fourth line.

I think Janko needs something of an attitude shift towards that. He might be struggling with the idea of "settling" for being a fourth liner, but if he embraces it, he does have the tools to do it well. He's responsible, he has size and he can get to the net. He just doesn't seem to be enjoying himself right now.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
This is Jankowski's year he starts to show... Like he's pregnant. He'll glow on the ice and score 35 pts on the 3rd line and Treliving will sign him to a 8 year 2.9 million per year deal and he'll end up being a 60 - 80 pt player on the second line. Book it or @Dube Dube Doo will eat his shoe.
My prediction is on point, so far! He looks pregnant out there!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad