Player Discussion Mark Jankowski, Still Not Best of his Draft; Better than Yakupov

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
He’s like a prettier version of Colborne that can finish. Actually Colborne was pretty to, he just has more finish.

I actually think Mark's projection is somewhere between Paul Stastny and Zach Parise. His game is still developing because of his tall lanky frame and in 2-3 years will likely be looked as being in the top 10 of his draft class and by career end he could be in the top 5.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I actually think Mark's projection is somewhere between Paul Stastny and Zach Parise. His game is still developing because of his tall lanky frame and in 2-3 years will likely be looked as being in the top 10 of his draft class and by career end he could be in the top 5.

Yeah, that’s a no for me dawg. Both guys were premier players in their primes.

Janko for me will be a rich mans Brian Boyle. 30-40 point Center. Plays the right way, kills penalties, gets the B rate tough matchups. His 5v5 play has a long way to go for him to be in the same universe as Parise or Statsny. Keep in mind, he is a sophomore, but he’s also in his mid20s.

Reactions: Dack

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Jankowski's draft profile listed Spezza as a comparable I believe.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Jankowski is faster than he looks and has size. He just needs that NHL strength and the confidence to go where he wants to go. When he discovers that he can do that and basically shrug defenders off, or better yet have them bounce off, he will be a force to be reckoned with. He has the shot, he likes the slot, so his day will come.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I firmly believe that Jankowski is going to be that key 2-way center that we desperately need after Backlund. I am calling it now, Jankowski bumps Backlund down to the third line in 2 years. Hopefully sooner.

Reactions: Migos

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Lmao slow your roll.

Janko has been absolutely dominant on the PK this season but his play 5v5 has been very poor by every metric.

He has to improve in a lot of areas 5v5 before we can consider him a solid 3C, let alone a mix between Stastny and Parise, two players who had dominant spurts in their primes

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The important thing with Jankowski is that we're seeing progression. His goals will be down this year from last barring a miracle, but I think we're definitely seeing progression in his game. He's a trusted penalty-killer who is consistently able to generate offence short-handed, and a trusted faceoff guy. He makes smart plays all over the ice, and is even capable of generating scoring chances with Neal.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The important thing with Jankowski is that we're seeing progression. His goals will be down this year from last barring a miracle, but I think we're definitely seeing progression in his game. He's a trusted penalty-killer who is consistently able to generate offence short-handed, and a trusted faceoff guy. He makes smart plays all over the ice, and is even capable of generating scoring chances with Neal.

This. Jankowski is not done developing and will be a good or even excellent 2C in his prime. As long as we continue to get that internal growth from our young players, this team has not yet reached its ceiling, which is awesome to consider when you think about how good we've been this year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He's the type of depth guy that helps teams win.
He'll never be much of a top 6 player, but he could be that 3C/4C that helps you win a Stanley Cup. Think Kruger in his prime. The PK stuff is fantastic, and I'm happy he's found a niche. His 5v5 play still lacks a lot of polish, but it's a fair trade off for a guy who's among the elite PKer's in the league.

In a perfect world, Janko would be our trusted 4C, with Backlund playing the elite shutdown 3C and Flames having that more offensive minded 2C behind Monahan. But you play the cards you were dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad