Recalled/Assigned: Mark Jankowski recalled

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
What would a Giannis type talent even look like in hockey? Lindros? I'm thinking a guy whose big for a center (6'5-6'7) skates like he's 5'10, has amazing hands and great vision.

Basically a 6'5 Gaudreau who retained his skills.
I was more or less thinking just having a MVP/generational talent, which is what Giannis looks like. Eichel, McDavid, Matthews etc

Actually building someone like Giannis, that'd be interesting because there has to be that one drawback, like how Giannis isn't that good of a shooter yet, so maybe a 6'5 Center who's an average, maybe below average, shot? A 6'5 McDavid lol. Someone who's a freakish athlete, very talented and solid all around but with that one drawback. Maybe like Datsyuk? Solid all around, flashy at times but a more athletic version. I really don't know lol but it'd be insane

Reactions: Dack

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, however I look forward to the day that Baxterman admits that he was completely wrong about Jankowski. ;)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Monahan
Ferland-Janko-Jagr (Versteeg for now)

Go-go Gulutzan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It doesnt make any sense to me that they rushed Bennett and Tkachuk but willing to wait forever for Jankowski.

I am hopeful but not going to hold my breath.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
It doesnt make any sense to me that they rushed Bennett and Tkachuk but willing to wait forever for Jankowski.

Well to be fair, when Janko was drafted, he was labelled as a project and needed development team. Even management said it, that he needed time.
“He’s a guy that’s still developing. This isn’t the pick last year at No. 13 where Sven Baertschi plays five games for us this year — and we expect him to make our team out of training camp next season. [Jankowski] is a guy, there’s going to be development time.”

I swear I saw somewhere he was 5ish years away after the draft but not sure. Either way, he's right on track imo

Source: http://nationalpost.com/sports/hock...elieve-mark-jankowski-is-steal-of-first-round

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What?? Jankowski and Bennett on the fourth line?? That line is reserved for Glass, Stajan, and Brouwer, energy checking guys who earned the right to be in the NHL, and didn't get a free pass by being high-drafted talent. The Flames are breaking an ancient commandment of hockey by putting non-lunchpail guys on the 4th line. I say banish them both to AHL now, but I'm sure they'll be on a free ride to the first line shortly.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Watch Janko develop into the best player in the League. I am routing for him.

Wonder if Feaster earns credibility back with his success and another GM gig? Obviously scouting and etc. has a lot to do with it, but the final decision was with him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What?? Jankowski and Bennett on the fourth line?? That line is reserved for Glass, Stajan, and Brouwer, energy checking guys who earned the right to be in the NHL, and didn't get a free pass by being high-drafted talent. The Flames are breaking an ancient commandment of hockey by putting non-lunchpail guys on the 4th line. I say banish them both to AHL now, but I'm sure they'll be on a free ride to the first line shortly.

There's no reason to expect that to change. It was just a reporter watching lines at practice and listing them- Gulutzan didn't say anything about third or fourth line when asked about it in his scrum today.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Watch Janko develop into the best player in the League. I am routing for him.

Wonder if Feaster earns credibility back with his success and another GM gig? Obviously scouting and etc. has a lot to do with it, but the final decision was with him.

lol did I miss it? when did Janko become the best player in the league? which league?

If he becomes anything, the credit goes to the Flames for being very patience with him.

Many of his draft peers have already busted...heck, we are about ready to declare Bennett who was drafted 2 yrs after him a bust :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
lol did I miss it? when did Janko become the best player in the league? which league?

If he becomes anything, the credit goes to the Flames for being very patience with him.

Many of his draft peers have already busted...heck, we are about ready to declare Bennett who was drafted 2 yrs after him a bust :laugh:

Patience? He has taken exactly how long he's supposed to take. They haven't had to be patient.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I guess if he turned into a Hart Trophy winner maybe some owner would be dumb enough to view that as enough to hire him but I think the chances are that at best Jankowski turns out to be an ok 1st round pick. I can't see that outweighing all the huge negatives Feaster has from his time with TB and Calgary.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I'm really not sure how you are comparing apples and oranges. Jankowski was known to be someone who would take some time to grow up and mature into an NHL player.

Tkachuk and Bennett forced their way onto the team, they were not rushed. If you'd like, I can go dig up the multiple articles, media clips, threads etc. all discussing how they needed to make the team out of camp, then make it to the 9 game mark etc.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Outside of the O’Reilly debacle Feaster did a hell of a job here imo.

His trades left something to be desired....

The Regehr trade is always the one that gets me. Regehr, Kotalik, 2nd for Butler and Byron. Then they flipped Regehr to LA for two 2nds a season and a half later...

Reactions: Dack

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Bouwmeester trade will always be an absolute embarrassment

The 9 year, 7M per offer to Brad Richards (we'd be in year 6 had he signed)

The circus around the Iginla deal

Turning a project first round pick into a clown show

Ramo being the best goalie not in the NHL

Cervenka being the best centre not in the NHL when he wasn't even a centre

I don't know if 'Hell' is the most appropriate term to describe Feaster tenure. but it's not far off

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Iginla/Jbo/Regehr trades beg to differ. We literally traded our 3 best players for little to nothing. Not to mention Feaster almost signed B. Richards to an awful contract.

We could certainly cut him some slack for some things, but his "almost destroying-the-flames" tactics like the ROR debacle and Richards' contract was enough for me to say that I was happy for him to leave. The jury is still out for Jankowski.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Feaster was in a win now mandate though.

He wasn’t able to sit back and collect picks like treliving was, which is why you are all so endeared to Treliving.

He acquired a lot of NHL talent in his time here. I, to this day, think Karri Ramo was a good goalie who never got a fair shake.

Iggy had Feasters hands tied. Boumeester was considered untraceable the year before but he still walked away with two first round picks.

Granlund and Bartschi could end up both being bad trades for Treliving.

2/3 of our top line, Ferland, Kulak, Baertschi, Granlund, Brossoit, Jooris, he acquired quite a few of the the key players for our franchise in a short time.

The Hamilton move was great. And I’ve been a fan of Mike Smith for years. but other then hanging away draft picks like Candy what has Treliving done to bring in talent?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Feaster had some decent drafting. That's really it. For all his faults, the mark Sutter left on this team is still much bigger and better than Feaster's all these years later.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Feaster had some decent drafting. That's really it. For all his faults, the mark Sutter left on this team is still much bigger and better than Feaster's all these years later.
Let's go to the tape

On the current roster...
Sutter: Giordano, Backlund, Brodie, Stajan

vs.

Feaster: Monahan, Gaudreau, Kulak, Jankowski
*Also Byron, had the Flames kept him.

Yep, I'd have to agree... Although the Phaneuf trade was (IMO) still worse than any of Feaster's trades.

If Jankowski shows he's actually capable, I'd tip the scale towards Feaster. At least, a tie.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Let's go to the tape

On the current roster...
Sutter: Giordano, Backlund, Brodie, Stajan

vs.

Feaster: Monahan, Gaudreau, Kulak, Jankowski
*Also Byron, had the Flames kept him.

Yep, I'd have to agree... Although the Phaneuf trade was (IMO) still worse than any of Feaster's trades.

If Jankowski shows he's actually capable, I'd tip the scale towards Feaster. At least, a tie.
Ferland was also Sutter. As well our much, much, much improved scouting network can be attributed to Sutter. Even if Janko pans out, Sutter's still better for me.

The Phaneuf trade was a unique one in that both teams lost it. I also think the Bouw one was worse. Almost Savard bad

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I am sure it has been beaten to death here as it has amongst all Flames fans but this makes no sense to me. Outside of all bluster and hot air that came out of his mouth and the 2 near disasters with ROR and Richards his hockey moves were terrible as well.

6(?) years removed from his time as GM supposedly awful (awful if you listen to the idiots) GM Sutter has more of an impact on this team than Feaster.

We need to give up assets and spend big in FA due to the fact that Feaster added zero quality defensemen or goalies to the team. Even depth forwards are pretty barren from Feasters time here.

He had Iginla, Bouwmeester, Regehr and Kipper (amongst others) all with good trade value and got nothing for them.

The most positive thing you can say about Feasters tenure is they got lucky with a 4th round pick and he was so bad that he set the team up to have high draft picks for Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk.

He acquired a lot of NHL talent in his time here. I, to this day, think Karri Ramo was a good goalie who never got a fair shake.

2/3 of our top line, Ferland, Kulak, Baertschi, Granlund, Brossoit, Jooris, he acquired quite a few of the the key players for our franchise in a short time.

Ramo played over 150 games in the NHL putting up bad numbers every single season and a terrible .906 sv percentage and 2.85 GAA for his career. Multiple times in his career he was available for any team to sign to a cheap deal, for one year if they wanted and yet all the talent evaluators passed more often than not. He was a member of 4 organizations as well. How is that he didn't get a fair shake? He had tons of chances and flubbed them every single time. He repeatedly showed that he was a bad NHL goalie and yet still people want to try and make excuses for him?

As for the skaters mentioned Ferland is a Sutter pick, Kulak is barely able to beat out Bartowski after being passed over in the expansion draft, Jooris is barely an NHL player on a minimum 1 year deal, Granlund and Baertschi are very unimpressive on a bottom 5 team and likely can't crack 80% of the teams in the NHL. Broissoit is a bad back-up goalie. That is hardly a strong list there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The hyperbole is ridiculous regarding the Bouwmeester and Iginla trades. A first and two pluses is a pretty standard price for a top asset. We got Hamilton for a first and two seconds. We got Hamonic for a first and two seconds. Complaining about getting a first and two prospects we liked for each of those two guys is silly. All it speaks to is that, at the time, some of you guys got carried away with notions of getting a king's ransom because of homerism. That situation is rare, and lucky when it does happen, and of course when it happens, it isn't seen as a good value, but rather a horrendous mistake (a la McPhee with Forsberg). So basically you're sour at Feaster because another GM in the league wasn't an idiot. "But two seconds is way different than two prospects!" it isn't. 2nd rounders each have less than 50% chance of becoming NHLers. All four of those prospects played at least an NHL game, and two out of the four became something of tangible value. The fact that Agostino was let go is not on Feaster.

We've had this conversation over and over, but just as Calculon has cherry-picked the most contentious parts of Feaster's reign, the same can be done with Treliving, and paints a very poor picture. Or with Sutter, of course. Or any GM. There are very few in the league who have a flawless track record. I think Treliving has done a good job, in general, and it's entirely possible for me to think so while still considering the awful moves he's made.

Reactions: Method Man

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ferland was also Sutter. As well our much, much, much improved scouting network can be attributed to Sutter. Even if Janko pans out, Sutter's still better for me.

The Phaneuf trade was a unique one in that both teams lost it. I also think the Bouw one was worse. Almost Savard bad

Sutter's scouting criteria was wacky, though, and under Feaster it became much more sensible (scouting for IQ).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad