Recalled/Assigned: Mark Jankowski recalled

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Comparing Jankowski to others at the same age is unfair. Everyone knew Jankowski was going to be a project when he was drafted.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
RjkQ5Id.png

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I mean, current success is more important than anything else, really. People who may have been looked at as Jankowski apologists before can now hang their hat on the fact that he is having success right now as a pro which is comparable to other late-bloomers who turn into impact NHL players. We don't really need to convince you of anything, because it's now reality.

Who said you need to convince me?

I never asked you to change my opinion. I never said you can't have your opinion or be happy about him coming up.

I don't see him having any success now so don't get your excitement or what you are hanging your hat on but you are free to feel that way if you like.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is just like your opinions on McGrattan. You say the same thing over and over again using different words, but never support your opinion with anything concrete, like comparing stats, or describing some play that happened on ice.

What are you talking about?

I have pointed to every season he has played as disappointing how is that not comparing stats? I mean I guess it isn't a direct comparison since the better guys are playing in the NHL and he has sucked too much to make there yet but his poor stats in the NCAA are a reason why I have zero confidence in him.

As for talking about what happened on the ice well watch him play very little positive happens when he is on the ice. He isn't a smart player, doesn't go to the right places on the ice, he is weak on the puck and when trying to get the puck off of opponents. He does nothing well and has a ton of holes in his game.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I have pointed to every season he has played as disappointing how is that not comparing stats? I mean I guess it isn't a direct comparison since the better guys are playing in the NHL and he has sucked too much to make there yet but his poor stats in the NCAA are a reason why I have zero confidence in him.

As for talking about what happened on the ice well watch him play very little positive happens when he is on the ice. He isn't a smart player, doesn't go to the right places on the ice, he is weak on the puck and when trying to get the puck off of opponents. He does nothing well and has a ton of holes in his game.

Specifics. Like name some players and their stats with whom you compare Jankowski. Same with his on ice play, link some clips or at least say what game, what period, and what happened.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Who said you need to convince me?

I never asked you to change my opinion. I never said you can't have your opinion or be happy about him coming up.

I don't see him having any success now so don't get your excitement or what you are hanging your hat on but you are free to feel that way if you like.

What do you mean? He's dominated the AHL this year. And he has never once failed to improve from one year to the next.

Ah well.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada

...are you actually a fan of this team or are you trolling, saying how 'Janks sucks'...?
because a REAL fan of this team wouldn't call one of our better FWD prospects, that has only improved year after year and doing what was asked of him ie working on his defensive game 1st(WHICH I MIGHT ADD would hurt if pts PTD aren't everything)
a REAL fan would compliment him on the fact he has even made it to this point, because he was sure as hell a long shot to even make it period, yet here we are and he's deserving on actual NHL time.
[mod]

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Specifics. Like name some players and their stats with whom you compare Jankowski. Same with his on ice play, link some clips or at least say what game, what period, and what happened.

Clips? Sorry I am not that technically able to get clips. Not even sure how I would go about doing that. I also see about zero clips from others when talking about other players so not sure why you need clips here. I already stated in the pre-season games and the 1 NHL game. Also, watching him in a view games in college. I will say the college games were limited as I don't care for the NCAA game so only watched briefly to get a sense of how Jankowski was playing.

As for specific players I was more referring to players in general. There aren't a lot of successful players who are playing in the AHL (deservedly so) at 23 who then explode to have great NHL careers. I am sure that people will jump in with MSL but the exceptions are very poor examples and Jankowski has done nothing to show that he will be the exception.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
...are you actually a fan of this team or are you trolling, saying how 'Janks sucks'...?
because a REAL fan of this team wouldn't call one of our better FWD prospects, that has only improved year after year and doing what was asked of him ie working on his defensive game 1st(WHICH I MIGHT ADD would hurt if pts PTD aren't everything)
a REAL fan would compliment him on the fact he has even made it to this point, because he was sure as hell a long shot to even make it period, yet here we are and he's deserving on actual NHL time.
[mod]

A REAL fan?

Can you make a list of all the things that a REAL fan needs to do to be a REAL fan of the Flames.

I have already made the horrible mistake of breaking one of the requirements of a REAL fan so I would hate to make the mistake of doing it again.

I will start the list for you:

1. Blindly support every single player and make sure you only say good things about them.

Oops that will eliminate most posters here from being REAL fans.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Clips? Sorry I am not that technically able to get clips. Not even sure how I would go about doing that. I also see about zero clips from others when talking about other players so not sure why you need clips here. I already stated in the pre-season games and the 1 NHL game. Also, watching him in a view games in college. I will say the college games were limited as I don't care for the NCAA game so only watched briefly to get a sense of how Jankowski was playing.

As for specific players I was more referring to players in general. There aren't a lot of successful players who are playing in the AHL (deservedly so) at 23 who then explode to have great NHL careers. I am sure that people will jump in with MSL but the exceptions are very poor examples and Jankowski has done nothing to show that he will be the exception.

But how many players are there every year who are comparable to Jankowski? Once again in making this statement you are making the fallacy of comparing him to the average prospect, who has a completely different physical development. You still haven't explained why you reject the argument about physical maturity, by the way.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
But how many players are there every year who are comparable to Jankowski? Once again in making this statement you are making the fallacy of comparing him to the average prospect, who has a completely different physical development. You still haven't explained why you reject the argument about physical maturity, by the way.

I reject the physical maturity argument because it wasn't like Jankowski is some special case that was let in early. There are tons of guys who are drafted late and they don't whine about the same excuses.

And it isn't like he is looking like such great stuff against the guys a draft or even two below him. We have guys from every draft after him on our own team that look a hell of a lot better and are a hell of a lot further along than he is and we supposedly don't even draft that well.

If it was a 1 year deal to explain stuff maybe I would be more sympathetic to it but from the year he was drafted until now he has constantly been not good enough and I doubt that is simply because of some BS physical maturity issue.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I reject the physical maturity argument because it wasn't like Jankowski is some special case that was let in early. There are tons of guys who are drafted late and they don't whine about the same excuses.

And it isn't like he is looking like such great stuff against the guys a draft or even two below him. We have guys from every draft after him on our own team that look a hell of a lot better and are a hell of a lot further along than he is and we supposedly don't even draft that well.

If it was a 1 year deal to explain stuff maybe I would be more sympathetic to it but from the year he was drafted until now he has constantly been not good enough and I doubt that is simply because of some BS physical maturity issue.

You're reducing it to age, but it isn't just age. Physical maturity. Not everyone physically develops at the same rate. When I was in grade 8, for instance, I was 4'10". Basically all of my classmates were already towering over me, having undergone growth spurts the previous years. For me, it took a few years more. But I'm over 6' now, so it's not like me being shorter than them then meant I was going to be shorter than them forever. There was one kid who was like 6'3" when he was in grade 9. He dominated basketball and volleyball, predictably. But he was basically already done growing. By the time he went to university on an athletic scholarship, he had basically lost the advantage that led to him looking so good in high school.

Mark Jankowski grew 6 inches during the two years prior to the draft. He was 5'8" when he was eligible for the OHL draft, and was passed up due to his size. He went from being too small for hockey to tall for a hockey player right before being drafted. How many players do that? Surely you can recognize that that isn't normal. That is concrete reason to treat the kid's development with a grain of salt. The body doesn't really develop proportionally to height when a kid is undergoing a growth spurt. The height comes first, which throws coordination out of whack, and muscles need to then be developed to support the frame. It's a long process, and Jankowski hadn't even finished growing yet, as he was 6'2" at the draft and is 6'4" now.

So you can really forget about the age thing. That's minor. The major factor that everyone was talking about at and after the draft was the physical maturity.

Last edited:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Because I don't see them as legitimate factors but as excuses for why he has sucked at every step along his career (in terms of an NHL prospect).

And I don't think much of the so-called experts who are making those excuses for him.

To be fair we have Tanner Glass on our team. There is literally no test in the world (eye or stats or advanced stats) that makes him an NHL player, but yet he is here and "contributing" apparently to the organization.

Janko even if we look at him as a bottom six guy (as I do, maybe a 2/3 tweener) should carve out a career similiar to that of Colborne to be conservative, but at the very least he is still way better than NHLer Tanner Glass. I think we should be happy he has maybe some 2nd line upside but he at least has tools to be a 3rd/4th line center.

Reactions: GAMO1992

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Happy for Jankowski. In a perfect world (or perfect upcoming game), Jankowski and Bennett become the dynamic duo for line 3. That way we have a duo on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line. Tkachuk imo could slot anywhere.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Mark Jankowski is 23, in the year 2017 and wears #77 and score or assist on x goals this season.
Michael Jordan was 23 in the year 1987 and wore #23, when he averaged 37 points-per-game. He has also won Rookie of the Year, among other awards and championships.

Jankowski + Jordan = 77 + 23 = 100 = Perfection
Perfection minus Jordan = Jankowski
100 - 37 = 63 = x

Mark Jankowski will score 63 points this season (0.851 ppg) en route to Rookie of the Year. Sergachev and Keller move over.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No I don't think I ever said that.

I do think if guys don't look better than their peers as they rise through the ranks then it is unlikely they turn into a good NHL player.

At some point there has to be more than "he is a long term prospect do we have to ignore what he is showing us."

You’re just being controversial for the sake of it. Every single person sees what you’re doing and you are not fooling anyone. Janks is arguably our only legit good prospect with any actual chance of making some noise at the NHL and the fact you are hating on him is beyond a joke. As a MOD, I’ll happily be watching your posts. :)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m so happy Janks is up, and while I think Bennett will be a good C, this is the right move for the time being playing him on the wing. Janks can make others better, I’m pumped to see him and Janks play together.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Janko = Greek freak
I wish. Imagine if we had a Giannis level talent, woo we'd be the best. Side note, it'd be cool watching a guy like Giannis play hockey. Those hands lol

I like Jankowski. My favorite thing about him is that he's improved a lot and every year so far. No qualms from me

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I wish. Imagine if we had a Giannis level talent, woo we'd be the best. Side note, it'd be cool watching a guy like Giannis play hockey. Those hands lol

I like Jankowski. My favorite thing about him is that he's improved a lot and every year so far. No qualms from me
What would a Giannis type talent even look like in hockey? Lindros? I'm thinking a guy whose big for a center (6'5-6'7) skates like he's 5'10, has amazing hands and great vision.

Basically a 6'5 Gaudreau who retained his skills.

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad