Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Keep in mind a lot of our really good prospects are from the 2015
draft which Dubas co-run.

Not to mention a few of the good picks like Grundstrom probably were heavily influenced by the European scouts, who won't be going anywhere.

People also overestimate the impact of one scout. Beyond the first couple of rounds it's still mostly a crapshoot, and having Dubas pulling off moves like the trade-down in 2015 to get us more picks will help us more in the long run than Hunter would have.

I think Hunter is most likely gone, but they'll be just fine without him. Dubas may already have people and processes in mind that will be an improvement on whatever Hunter was doing. Maybe part of the reason Hunter is leaving (if he is) is that Dubas liked players like Gourde, and the Leafs didn't end up targeting them. When you see that your co-worker would have done your job better than you that's gotta be demoralizing.

We can speculate all day but, as others have said, at the end of the day it's not like the Leafs have a stellar draft record under Hunter.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Losing both Lou and Hunter hurts the front office knowledge and experience level. Any thoughts on who could come in and replace them without trying to pull in a different direction than Dubas? I'm okay with giving Dubas a shot but it would be good if he had some good consultants/assistants moving forward

Reactions: Duffman955

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Actually, all that means is he wasn't the obvious pick at 1 to 16. He was however clearly the obvious pick at 17.

NOW it's over, thanks and please come again.

There is a chance he might not have been picked 17 by another team, so not its not an obvious pick.
lol. he went away.....

I guess he thinks Lilly wasn't obvious,, and Mark was genius to find Lilly at 17,, sharing with him a special/sticky kind of genius... a genius that no one else had.
Actually im right here:)
Yes Lilly wasnt obvious.
I guess you think Lilly was obvious and Mark wasnt a genius to find Lilly at 17, sharing with him a special/big blu kind of genius...a genius that no one else had.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If hunter leaves the leafs for another nhl team at the sam position he now holds, that is someone we don’t need in our organization. He as far as we know has never been interviewed for a gm job unlike dubas who had at least one interview and one request turned down. If he leaves to another team because dubas got the job that is a shit mentality we don’t need here.

Now he could just leave back for the knights because he can’t be arsed hanging around now he isn’t gm, that would be a lot more palatable. Or if he somehow got a nhl gm job.

There are many many scouts out there and really hunter hasn’t done anything to suggest he is top of that heap. Very good scout for sure, would rather keep him. But if he leaves it is not even close the end of the world in terms of our scouting

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is why I didn't want Dubas as GM, Lou is gone, Hunter is going, that's quality people leaving, because they don't want to take orders from a kid and Dubas is a kid at the NHL level, he's done nothing he has no credibility.

Hiring Dubas has weakened our front office

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is why I didn't want Dubas as GM, Lou is gone, Hunter is going, that's quality people leaving, because they don't want to take orders from a kid and Dubas is a kid at the NHL level, he's done nothing he has no credibility.

Lou is a million years old and has done his job, it's time to move on

One of Hunter or Dubas was walking one way or another

I'm sick and tired of this bull**** kid narrative, Dubas is qualified, has been around hockey operations for years with the Soo and Leafs and has been headhunted by at least two other organizations

Losing Hunter sucks but let's not pretend he's the better candidate because Shanahan certainly doesn't think so and at least two other organizations that we know of

I don't care if he's a good hockey man or not, I want competent

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2015

Don't believe that is true. But if they for some reason have that type of problem, well goodbye then. That just unprofessional and Leafs organization has no need for that.

Reactions: Walshy7

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

You do realize that there were no scenarios where the entire front office stays the way it was long term right? If the Leafs choose Hunter instead of Dubas Lou is still leaving and Dubas is getting hired as GM by someone else this summer. Better off to pick the guy you want long term let the chips fall where they may and deal with filling the holes in the front office in the summer. There are plenty of great hockey people out there I really don't understand the problem people are having with this honestly.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

It's only a matter of days before Babcock leaves for the same reason, then Shanahan because he doesn't want to deal with another brat kid which he has enough of at home. Matthews will follow because he doesn't want to play for some punk ass millennial. By July 1 the organization will be in shambles, it will be just Dubas and Carlton the Bear.

Reactions: HC7

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Hunter hasn't done anything more at the NHL level. You'd just switch places with the same results. An unproven GM and a valuable part of the group leaving.

The second part of your post is complete fabrication btw. We pretty much know the motivations for them leaving. It's been reported many times that Hunter wants to be a GM, and that Lou wants to make decisions and not advise on them. They could have hired a 60-year old with 50 years of experience, and the two would still leave.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Losing both Lou and Hunter hurts the front office knowledge and experience level. Any thoughts on who could come in and replace them without trying to pull in a different direction than Dubas? I'm okay with giving Dubas a shot but it would be good if he had some good consultants/assistants moving forward
I'm sure Dubas will have some sort of evaluation period for one. Someone that buys into what they're trying to accomplish and someone with that "new" age thinking.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wasn't he at the world championships?

Also, who is scouting for the Leafs at the memorial cup then?

Sometimes, these reporters don't actually report...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Whether it's as an AGM for the Leafs or as a GM for the Isles, he still has a heavy hand in the draft process .. So the fact that he isn't at the Mem Cup doesn't really tell me much.

Freidman is grasping a straws IMO

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So if Hunter follows Lou to the Island, we need to find replacements for Hunter and Dubbie's old role. All of a sudden we have holes in the FO and in the lineup that need to filled. The next 6 weeks are going to be very interesting for Leafs nation.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Whether Hunter stays or not, Dubas and the Leafs desperately need to revamp their US scouting process or the actual scouts. Our NCAA/USHL drafting and development has been the worst of the NHL (I didn't look). It hasn't gotten better under Hunter.

It's a whole development system they are completely missing out on and to me it's pretty inexcusable they haven't been able to even find a decent drafted AHL player there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Whether Hunter stays or not, Dubas and the Leafs desperately need to revamp their US scouting process or the actual scouts. Our NCAA/USHL drafting and development has been the worst of the NHL (I didn't look). It hasn't gotten better under Hunter.

It's a whole development system they are completely missing out on and to me it's pretty inexcusable they haven't been able to even find a decent drafted AHL player there.

Agreed - US program has gotten super strong too.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So if Hunter follows Lou to the Island, we need to find replacements for Hunter and Dubbie's old role. All of a sudden we have holes in the FO and in the lineup that need to filled. The next 6 weeks are going to be very interesting for Leafs nation.

Hunter can be replaced internally. Ari Vuori has Scouting Director experience for example and has been handling the European side of things, which has been top notch from all accounts. The Leafs have a lot of scouts and some of them I'm sure could replace Hunter to a certain degree. With that said, seems doubtful the Leafs will give a big role like that to just a scout without any management experience since Hunters role needs more than just a scouting eye.

It's tough to pinpoint names to replace since there are so many in the hockey world, but I assume that whoever replaces Hunter if/when he leaves that Dubas had a working relationship with him before.

As for a replacement for Dubas, Kyle Raftis seems like a shoe-in to me. Maybe they promote Brandon Pridham to take over the Marlies but I don't think he has any hockey scouting or management experience outside of knowing the CBA inside and out.

Sean Burke is someone that is apparently close to Shanahan. Could be someone who gets a role with the Leafs as well.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hunter can be replaced internally. Ari Vuori has Scouting Director experience for example and has been handling the European side of things, which has been top notch from all accounts. The Leafs have a lot of scouts and some of them I'm sure could replace Hunter to a certain degree. With that said, seems doubtful the Leafs will give a big role like that to just a scout without any management experience since Hunters role needs more than just a scouting eye.

It's tough to pinpoint names to replace since there are so many in the hockey world, but I assume that whoever replaces Hunter if/when he leaves that Dubas had a working relationship with him before.

As for a replacement for Dubas, Kyle Raftis seems like a shoe-in to me. Maybe they promote Brandon Pridham to take over the Marlies but I don't think he has any hockey scouting or management experience outside of knowing the CBA inside and out.

Pridham is probably the one guy we can't afford to lose at this point.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...bas-and-hunter-to-act-as-interim-gms.1874415/

This was the thread where Hunter and Dubas were both named AGM. Pretty funny read looking back a couple years.
Yeah. It's also a good lesson in perspective to go back and look through old threads.

Something I'd suggest to pretty much everyone now that we approach the draft. Go back, read some old draft threads. Perhaps that would lead to less people losing their marbles because they didn't get their pick, or because management went a bit off board etc.

Reactions: Liminality

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah. It's also a good lesson in perspective to go back and look through old threads.

Something I'd suggest to pretty much everyone now that we approach the draft. Go back, read some old draft threads. Perhaps that would lead to less people losing their marbles because they didn't get their pick, or because management went a bit off board etc.

Didn't want Dermott at the time of the pick, I tend to shut up now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is it possible, the reason he’s not at the Memorial Cup, is because;

1. He was at the World Championships or somewhere else scouting instead?
2. or He has been given the GM role of the Marlies since Dubas is no longer doing the role, and stayed in Toronto to work on that?
3. or maybe he simply assigned that to different scouts. I don’t recall him being the Memorial Cup last year either

I dunno. Maybe I’m just hoping for any reason for Hunter to stay lol

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Friedman is pulling stuff out of his backside and hoping it sticks. Really it's not a big deal that he wasn't there.
Maybe he took the long weekend off.

All of you who think he's good as gone, give your head a shake.
There's more incentive for him to stay in Toronto than to move his family too the shitshow in new york.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad