Mark Hunter - Might as well have his own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It obviously wasn't. Look at the draft thread. Everyone was saying to take Liljegren. Other teams were pissed when we picked him because they couldn't believe how hard he fell.
Well then those teams should have taken him them. The pick wasnt obvious as much you pretend it was.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Look at the 2015 draft that Shanahan publicly said was co-run by Dubas and Hunter compared to 2016/2017 where Hunter had full authority over the draft.

In 2015 we picked tons of skill players and said height doesn't matter. So far it's been unreal as proof from the AHL.

The Korshkov pick was complete garbage. An over-ager that was expected to be a 4th round pick before DeBrincat. We took JD Greenway over Mete who played on Hunter's London Knights. A lot of missed picks that seemed obvious at the time. (Go back to our draft threads if you don't believe).

I'll give credit where credit is due. He hit on Brooks and Grundstrom. He was also the man behind a lot of the euro signings. He did more good than bad with the Leafs, but I'm not going to pretend we lost some insane draft mastermind. In fact I prefer the 2015 draft that Dubas co-run.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was shocked Hunter didn’t take Mete. Overall, he’s made the right selections in the first rounds, Marner, Matthews and Liljegren. A couple decent picks outside the first round, (Dermott, Bracco, Grundstrom) but it’s not like it’s been an irreplaceable performance.

That said, I’ve obviously always loved the Hunters, as a Knights fan, and it will suck massively if he is indeed leaving,

Let’s also not forget that Kyle Dubas built quiet the staff in the Soo, and brought in good people for the Marlies and the analytics staff.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I was shocked Hunter didn’t take Mete. Overall, he’s made the right selections in the first rounds, Marner, Matthews and Liljegren. A couple decent picks outside the first round, (Dermott, Bracco, Grundstrom) but it’s not like it’s been an irreplaceable performance.

That said, I’ve obviously always loved the Hunters, as a Knights fan, and it will suck massively if he is indeed leaving,

Let’s also not forget that Kyle Dubas built quiet the staff in the Soo, and brought in good people for the Marlies and the analytics staff.

Keep in mind a lot of our really good prospects are from the 2015 draft which Dubas co-run.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I said the pick was obvious. As seen from the thread it is clearly obvious everyone wanted Liljegren. This conversation is over.
No the pick wasnt obvious evident by many teams passing up on the player. Over because your proven to be incorrect.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
No the pick wasnt obvious evident by many teams passing up on the player. Over because your proven to be incorrect.

Actually, all that means is he wasn't the obvious pick at 1 to 16. He was however clearly the obvious pick at 17.

NOW it's over, thanks and please come again.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
lol. he went away.....

I guess he thinks Lilly wasn't obvious,, and Mark was genius to find Lilly at 17,, sharing with him a special/sticky kind of genius... a genius that no one else had.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Look at the 2015 draft that Shanahan publicly said was co-run by Dubas and Hunter compared to 2016/2017 where Hunter had full authority over the draft.

In 2015 we picked tons of skill players and said height doesn't matter. So far it's been unreal as proof from the AHL.

The Korshkov pick was complete garbage. An over-ager that was expected to be a 4th round pick before DeBrincat. We took JD Greenway over Mete who played on Hunter's London Knights. A lot of missed picks that seemed obvious at the time. (Go back to our draft threads if you don't believe).

I'll give credit where credit is due. He hit on Brooks and Grundstrom. He was also the man behind a lot of the euro signings. He did more good than bad with the Leafs, but I'm not going to pretend we lost some insane draft mastermind. In fact I prefer the 2015 draft that Dubas co-run.

How is Adam Brooks any more of a hit than Yegor Korshkov?

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't really care if Hunter leaves... he's done good with his picks, but hasn't blown my socks off. There must be something there with Dubas, if a few teams have tried to snag him despite his age.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well, if Hunter wants to be a sourpuss about the whole thing then fine. It’s not like he’s the Leafs one and only scout, and there’s no cap on off ice management, so I’m sure someone will be going to fill the gap.

Reactions: SprDaVE and Walshy7

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A lot of AGM's and head scouts get GM gigs and they can't translate whatever made them successful in support roles into their jobs as GMs. Hunter is still pretty green as far as being NHL management, just surprised he's not taking the time to really develop himself for that promotion.

Once upon a time, Marc Bergevin was a pretty highly regarded management prospect coming out of Chicago. Jim Nill hasn't been able to duplicate his success in Dallas as he had in Detroit. Jason Botterill hasn't done much in Buffalo to date.

Jim Benning has somehow made Vancouver an absolute mess with only a few high picks giving them hope for the future as well.

I just wonder who the Leafs decide to have replace him? My guess is Chuck Fletcher from Minnesota (assuming he's not re-signed by Minnesota or goes elsewhere of course), Jim Paliafito internally and Victor Carneiro from SSM.

Chuck Fletcher and Jim Paliafito split everything Dubas and Hunter did outside of Director of Player Personnel, and Victor Carneiro gets Hunter's Director of Player Personnel role and will scout as well.

Fletcher will get title of AGM, Marlies GM and maybe some fancy Ex. VP of Hockey Operations title like he did with Minnesota as well. He'll have a whole bunch of different responsibilities, including helping out Dubas properly transition to the GM role, so might as well give him a fancy title to go with it.

Paliafito will keep his current job of Director of Player Evaluation but just add AGM to it. He already does more AGM stuff than Hunter ever did anyways, and he has earned the promotion. He may only have a few more responsibilities than he does now, but the Leafs may decide to promote or add someone to be an Assistant Director of Player Evaluation to help him if his plate is too full.

Carneiro was SSM's Director of Player Personnel from now all the way back to the Dubas days, and also has a ton of experience as a scout in the OHL (with London of all teams), which would make him a perfect replacement for someone like Hunter.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Wonder if Kelly McCrimmon would leave Vegas to be assistant gm and head scout here if Hunter leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad