Injury Report: Mark Giordano LBI

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You guys should look at us neighbors up north. Proceed with caution when tanking.

You missed the point.
There's no point in tanking now as the Flames. You'll never be bad enough to out tank teams like Detroit. You'd have to cut loose everyone under the sun, and likely lose every trade while you're at it.

Better off trying to find some rhythm and sneaking your way in. Once in the Dance, there's always some magic.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
You missed the point.
There's no point in tanking now as the Flames. You'll never be bad enough to out tank teams like Detroit. You'd have to cut loose everyone under the sun, and likely lose every trade while you're at it.

Better off trying to find some rhythm and sneaking your way in. Once in the Dance, there's always some magic.
Yeah too many teams have a big head start, they are still in the playoffs, if Rittich gets hot at the right time it could be good.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Tanking does not equal scorched earth. Oilers and Sabers went the later route, the Penguins, Capitals and even the Leafs went the former. Scorched earth tends create a losing culture that's hard to shake off. Tanking usually means a short term fall, while still retaining some quality veterans around to help get things back on track.

And technically, the Flames did tank in 2013. Evidence: trading Bouwmeester when he still had term left for essentially nothing. Problem is, they didn't tank hard enough.

Also, with the lottery system set up as it is, it's never too late to tank. It's basically the same as the playoffs now; just got to get lucky at the right time. That being said, the Flames very obviously aren't going to tank; not when the division is still up for grabs. They might retool though; either by making some hockey deals or selling on certain players (e.g. Hamonic, Jankowski) and then buying to address other needs.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Speaks to the depth of this team if losing a 36 year old defenceman means the end of a season.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
He won the Norris last year. Any team that loses a Norris quality defender is going to be effected.

I am aware of his hardware last season but elite teams keep drumming along when they lose a core player during the regular season. We will see what happens I guess....

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I am aware of his hardware last season but elite teams keep drumming along when they lose a core player during the regular season. We will see what happens I guess....
Has anyone said we are elite? Seems like that's the problem here. Regardless, losing a Norris quality player hurts anyone.

If Washington lost Carlson - how good is their D now? Gudas, Jensen, Orlov, Kempny, Siegenthaler is their other 5. I'd imagine they would be concerned as well

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Has anyone said we are elite? Seems like that's the problem here. Regardless, losing a Norris quality player hurts anyone.

If Washington lost Carlson - how good is their D now? Gudas, Jensen, Orlov, Kempny, Siegenthaler is their other 5. I'd imagine they would be concerned as well
Bad example. Carlson is currently having a Norris quality season. Gio... not so much.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Bad example. Carlson is currently having a Norris quality season. Gio... not so much.
Gio was the Norris winner last year - it's just an example, but I think you're missing the point of the comparison.

Any team losing their 1D is going to look to struggle. Us included with Gio. Not many teams have an abundance of 1D's on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Gio was the Norris winner last year - it's just an example, but I think you're missing the point of the comparison.

Any team losing their 1D is going to look to struggle. Us included with Gio. Not many teams have an abundance of 1D's on the 2nd pairing.
I get what you're saying, losing a good player is bad.

It just could be argued that Gio hasn't been our best defenseman. I don't know exactly that I would or wouldn't argue it, but I know it COULD be argued.

Reactions: Janks

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Any updates on Gio? Its been a week since we were told there would be on update.
I haven't seen or heard any updates on Gio but I have to assume that he has a grade 1 injury since he was seen walking without crutches the day after the injury. He was injured on Feb 5.

On average, a pulled hamstring (grade 1) should take from a few days up to 3 weeks to heal, whereas grade 2 and 3 tears can take weeks or months. Research studies suggest that treatment during the initial stages of the injury can have a big impact on rehabilitation time and full recovery.

3 weeks would take you to Feb 26. :crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad