Mark Giordano - Does he win the Norris?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We're in a league where secondary assists win you the Norris, doesn't even matter if you shut down team's top players or not, it's all about dat point total. :laugh: (See: Keith winning over Weber last year)

I'm pretty sure keith won because his team was good and Nashville was not. Still the wrong choice, but I don't think it was the point total that made that bad decision happen.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
If Gio continues this season, he is not only a lock for the Norris, but also the Hart. Guy has been the best player in the league thus far this season.

member 151739

We're in a league where secondary assists win you the Norris, doesn't even matter if you shut down team's top players or not, it's all about dat point total. :laugh: (See: Keith winning over Weber last year)

Keith is great defensively. Better defensively than offensively. And the Norris has always been about all-around play, which yes, includes offense. And when did secondary assists become less important compared to primary assists? If you watch the Hawks, you'd know that his secondary assists are usually the reason the goal happened in the first place. He's the best in transition.

Giordano will definitely win if he keeps up his play or at least 80% of what he's doing now.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
+/- is by far one of the most over-rated stats out there. You can get a "-" with your name even if you directly had nothing to do with the goal against when you were on the ice ( i.e. goalie lets in a bad goal)

I'd say when you're on for many more goals against than goals for your coach might want to look into why that is (granted you're not on PK + a great many DZFO).

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
If he continues at this pace and the Flames make the playoffs, he will not only win the Norris but also the Hart.

If he slows down but manages to be the highest-scoring defencemen still, he will win the Norris.

Still too early and lots can happen. At this point, he is definitely the favorite. The real question is "Will Brodie garner enough votes to be one of the finalists?" Many media guys seem to think at this point he will.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Solid year so far, no doubt. I expect he'll easily be one of the finalists.....
I'm done guessing winners though.

Trae

Calgary
Some facts about Gio you may not have known:

1) If you didn't already know he was never drafted to the NHL, you do now, but also note that he has never been drafted anywhere in his entire career, including the CHL.

2) He was awarded the NHL's 1st star of the month for November, this is the first time ever that a defenseman has received the 1st star of a month.

3) The points are getting him recognition, but he is by far the best defensive defenseman calgary has had since prime Robyn Regehr. I personally think he's better as he does it with good stick work, blocking shots, and smart positioning rather than just simply hitting. He's truly a warrior.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Keith is great defensively. Better defensively than offensively. And the Norris has always been about all-around play, which yes, includes offense. And when did secondary assists become less important compared to primary assists? If you watch the Hawks, you'd know that his secondary assists are usually the reason the goal happened in the first place. He's the best in transition.

Giordano will definitely win if he keeps up his play or at least 80% of what he's doing now.

I won't bother debating it any further. The fact that Keith wasn't even tasked to shut down top lines last year (IMO, that's the most important function of a #1D) tells me that Norris voting remains ridiculous. This will go majorly off-topic if I go into it more, so I'll just leave it at that.

Giordano is putting up the huge numbers and shutting down top-lines while being an amazing leader in Calgary. Pure MVP/Norris material right there.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Some facts about Gio you may not have known:

1) If you didn't already know he was never drafted to the NHL, you do now, but also note that he has never been drafted anywhere in his entire career, including the CHL.

2) He was awarded the NHL's 1st star of the month for November, this is the first time ever that a defenseman has received the 1st star of a month.

3) The points are getting him recognition, but he is by far the best defensive defenseman calgary has had since prime Robyn Regehr. I personally think he's better as he does it with good stick work, blocking shots, and smart positioning rather than just simply hitting. He's truly a warrior.

Wow!?

I would have thought Mike Green back when he scored his 30+ goal season would have had a "star of the month" award...

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Dude is PPG while also being stellar defensively. People say +- is an overrated stat and it is in some cases but compare Brodano to the rest of Calgary's D. Calgary is dominating when they are on the ice and treading water when others are out there. He is easily the front runner right now.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
He's playing well enough to win it at the moment. However he and the rest of the Flames will soon start to fall back down to earth

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
100% yes he will. Another player having a career year so that Weber never wins one.

Weber should refuse the trip to Vegas and the embarrassment of losing every year.
Crazy the Calgary Flames will have both the Calder and Norris winner. Everyone thought they were going to be awful and Edmonton was going to improve.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He's a tough hard nosed defenseman who can put up points. Let me put it this way. If I had to choose between him and say PK Subban on my team come playoff time, I'd choose this guy. Subban is terrible defensively. And this coming from an Oil fan who hates the Flames.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
100% yes he will. Another player having a career year so that Weber never wins one.

Weber should refuse the trip to Vegas and the embarrassment of losing every year.
Crazy the Calgary Flames will have both the Calder and Norris winner. Everyone thought they were going to be awful and Edmonton was going to improve.

Don't forget the Jack Adams :naughty:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Don't forget the Jack Adams :naughty:
Only hope for the Predators to actually win one of these awards is Rinne which is fortunately voted by GM's not media. Glad to see Calgary trying to win when they could try to "Oiler up" their rebuilding process. It just proves that tanking is fools gold.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The only reason Gio and Brodie aren't number one is because they are less proven to me than the Weber Josi pairing (only in the last 20-30 games have they even been in this discussion). If they can keep this pace up for a while longer, then I will move them up.

Depends who you ask, because among a lot of groups they were discussed as one of the top (if not the top) pairings in the league since early last season.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
1: Giordano
2: Weber
3: Brodie

This isn't some fluke, Giordano was amazing all last year as well. Would have been a finalist if he stayed healthy. Even if the rest of the Flames fall back down to earth, I doubt Giordano will.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
I know how stupid it will sounds, but I don't think he will win it. It has nothing to do with his season. I simply feel they will go with a sexy pick like Keith or Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->