Mark Giordano - Does he win the Norris?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The reigning Norris winner is playing great this year as well

Hardly think it would be landslide win for Giordano

I would bet big money it would be. Not that other d-men haven't played well, but the buzz has all been about Giordano, which is pretty telling for media awards, and his stats jump off the page. It also helps that he's been the main reason a team most thought was in the McDavid lottery has been in a playoff position. Keith was in a similar position at this point last season, where his point totals were back up and everyone was talking about how he was playing like 2010 again.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hes been the best so far but he can't keep this pace up. Looks like he will be in the mix for the year though.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Right now he wins, he's the one leading his team to this record. He's consistently producing on a game by game basis and he's at a point per game and leading his team in points. He's blocking a lot of shots as well.

It's honestly not even close, the question is does he stay healthy enough and can he keep up his pace.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
At this point he deserves it and other accolades. Two things could prevent it.
1) He gets hurt.
2) CGY falls out of playoff picture.

Both have a non-zero chance of happening. If he wouldn't have got hurt last year (broken foot) he could have been on team Canada and would have been in the mix for the Norris then. Either way, he has taken it to another level this year. If he can't keep the pace (who gets a PPG anymore?) then hopefully he can stay healthy and CGY remain competitive.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Yak led all rookie scoring in his rookie year and he didn't even get nominated for the Calder. That's how much stock I put into these "awards".

Just because he deserves is doesn't mean he's going to win it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Should he? Without a doubt. Will he? Probably not considering the NHL still hasn't given Weber his Norris for last season and as the season wears on Giordano's scoring lead may well shrink a good bit.

member 151739

If he keeps it up. But I'm hoping for Keith to win yet again.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
If the Norris were given out today, he's a lock and he's also probably the Hart favorite. Really can't debate this and I love Weber.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yak led all rookie scoring in his rookie year and he didn't even get nominated for the Calder. That's how much stock I put into these "awards".

Having the most points does not equal being the best player. But then everyone's complaining about how the awards are all just about points. Case in point... they aren't.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I just want to see the meltdown on this board if Giordano wins the Norris before Weber or Suter.

Last year, Weber was close enough offensively that he arguably had as big of an impact to the team (particularly when team offence was factored in). This year, Weber has just over half the points Giordano has, and Weber is the one on a team racking up the points (while Giordano leads a playoff team in scoring).

If the season ended today, the Giordano should be the unanimous Norris winner.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Karlsson will not win the Norris this year. He has the worst +\- on his team at -10.

And will likely be -25 when the season ends.

+/- is by far one of the most over-rated stats out there. You can get a "-" with your name even if you directly had nothing to do with the goal against when you were on the ice ( i.e. goalie lets in a bad goal)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Edit: Misread, deleted comment.

As for the Norris, as long as Gio is considered, I'd be happy. I'd love to see him get nominated though.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I am somewhat surprised that everybody is focusing on Gio's point production.

He MAY or MAY NOT continue his pace, but IMO, that's almost besides the point. What impresses me so much about this player is the balance in his game.

If he won' the Norris it would be because he is a great all around defensemen, not just because he racks up points.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am somewhat surprised that everybody is focusing on Gio's point production.

He MAY or MAY NOT continue his pace, but IMO, that's almost besides the point. What impresses me so much about this player is the balance in his game.

If he won' the Norris it would be because he is a great all around defensemen, not just because he racks up points.

In the past few years though, it has been about point production.

If it was about all around defense, Shea Weber should have won it by now.

Giordano's offensive production is a bonus, he's always been one of the best defensive defenseman out there. He's upped his game on offense, which is unfortunately why the hockey world is finally noticing his play.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
In the past few years though, it has been about point production.

If it was about all around defense, Shea Weber should have won it by now.

We're in a league where secondary assists win you the Norris, doesn't even matter if you shut down team's top players or not, it's all about dat point total. :laugh: (See: Keith winning over Weber last year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad