Tribute Mark Giordano Appreciation Thread

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
His bread and butter was getting that wrister through traffic

I still think about Logan Couture's article in The Players' Tribune from time to time:

Offensively, he’s excellent at moving the puck on the power play and finding soft spots in defensive coverage. He has the same type of shot as Burnzie, where he pulls the puck in close and changes the angle to get his shot through really tight spaces. When you’re watching on TV, it seems like there’s tons of space to shoot from the point, but at ice level, there’s usually only a tiny window to shoot through.

Look at this shot to see what I mean. It almost looks like he bends the puck through multiple screens.

The 5 Toughest Defensemen I’ve Ever Faced | By Logan Couture

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'll say this:

Sad day that this era is ending, it was needed badly though. Doesn't take away that #5 will hang from the rafters for us to tell our kids about this nobody who made something very special of himself through hard work and dedication.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gio was probably the best Flames dman but just like Iggy, managements were not able to get him the help.

it’s sad that he is gone for nothing but the alternative could have been worse. This is another one on Treliving. He only had a year to figure out what to do.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Gio was probably the best Flames dman but just like Iggy, managements were not able to get him the help.

it’s sad that he is gone for nothing but the alternative could have been worse. This is another one on Treliving. He only had a year to figure out what to do.
We will see if Gio gets dealt (rumoured to be to the Rangers), what the return is.

Honestly though my suspicion is that on the open market he wasn’t worth too much given the flat cap, his age, and declining play.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Tough day to be a Flames fan. Had to be done and just wish we could’ve dealt him at the deadline for a playoff run since we’re a black hole of playoff success. He deserved it. Probably have him behind Fleury and Iginla in my all time favorite Flames list. Would you retire his jersey? Nothing but the best for an absolute warrior who wore the Flames jersey with pride.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Now THIS. This is a jinx thread.

Thought it was worth a shot :'(

Gio finishes(this stint;)) with the Flames
GP 949G 143A 366P 509PIM 759 POGP 23G 1A 6P 7PIM 14
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Would have been cool to see him get 1000GP here. Currently sits 2nd in all time GP for the Flames behind Iginla.

Last edited:

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Adam Larsson signing a sweat-heart deal to leave the oilers is a tiny silver lining.

Hearing on a different thread that flames management loved Larsson, cant imagine why they didnt offer him something similar. 4X4 all day.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Adam Larsson signing a sweat-heart deal to leave the oilers is a tiny silver lining.

Hearing on a different thread that flames management loved Larsson, cant imagine why they didnt offer him something similar. 4X4 all day.
Because they haven't had a chance to talk to him yet? lol

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Thought it was worth a shot :'(

Gio finishes(this stint;)) with the Flames
GP 949G 143A 366P 509PIM 759 POGP 23G 1A 6P 7PIM 14
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Would have been cool to see him get 1000GP here. Currently sits 2nd in all time GP for the Flames behind Iginla.

Gio's gonna set a franchise milestone for being the first player to play his 1000th game in a Kraken uniform.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
They are allowed to talk to free agents which is why Hyman's camp is talking to teams right now.
No, Toronto give teams permission to talk to Hymen hoping they could get a pick out of it. Seattle gets to talk to UFA's because expansion draft.

For everyone else, the UFA talking period was eliminated in the last CBA. They got to tamper under the table, like in the good old days.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I predict Seattle names Gio as their 1st captain. Book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad