Tribute Mark Giordano Appreciation Thread

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
As this is likely to be the last day Gio is the Captain of the Calgary Flames thought I'd get a thread going to recognize his contributions over the years.

Em-7FJRVgAEyrkG.jpg

Undrafted, debuted in the 2006-07 season for the Flames and then played in the KHL for a season to prove himself, Gio came up through Calgary as a relative nobody that continued to get better every year. Never the fastest, biggest, or naturally gifted player he rose to the top of his profession through sheer power of will. Not only was he a great player, winning the Norris trophy in 2018-19, but also a great person giving back to his community and displaying great leadership. He won the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Award for athletes in 2017 for his work in Calgary schools and Habitat for Humanity.

Highlights from his Norris year courtesy AC :

Gio dummying that idiot Brown is a favourite for me as well

If it is indeed the end of Gio wearing the Flaming C it's fair to call it a unceremonious one. Filling Iggy's shoes was no small task and despite the lack of results as a team I feel Mark did a great job of it. Have a ton of respect for Gio for the way he conducts himself on and off the ice. Still have a faint hope he'll be back for us next season but if not thanks for the memories and good luck in the future.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Having to be the captain after Iginla seemed like an impossible task as Iggy was respected by everyone expect the odd minny fan. But Gio not only was willing to take on that challenge but did a pretty great job. One of the best stories for an nhl player ever. Pure heart and soul guy, I wish him nothing but the best if he is indeed the pick and I hope we can get him back next year, I'm sorry we couldn't get him a cup.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gio is one of the best stories of this generation. I loved his game, he played with a ton of heart, he willed his game to get better and he made those around him better. Beloved by teammates, respected by his peers, defied the odds and always did a ton for the community and gave back. This is every bit as classy as Iggy was and did it all the right way. I don’t have anything bad to say about him, guy is a stud through and through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad