Mark Fistric

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

Mack said:
does this guy have any offensive skill what-so-ever?

can we expect him to put up any humbers in the NHL?

what do you think he'll top out at?

10?
20?

I don't think he has hit 20 even as a junior. :)

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Mack said:
does this guy have any offensive skill what-so-ever?

No not really.

He's a big strong and mean and plays a solid defensive game. He will likely top out at 10-15 pts and his puck skills are so limited that they could easily keep him from making the NHL.

Theirs at least a dozen players like him in every draft good guy's really hard workers who just don't have the talent to make it into the NHL.

Mack

Nov 5, 2002
Prince George, BC
so it would be a waste to take him in my 04' draft for a keep league.
also his strong defensive game and mean streak wont get him in the NHL by itself?

Just a Guy

May 20, 2004
No that alone won't get him in the NHL..He needs to be able to make a pass out of his on end and have some ability to control the puck.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Starsdude said:
I just can't imagine why the stars took this guy if he is so bad. Unbelieveable with Meszaros there

Just be patience.. I have a lot more faith in our scouts than I have in any poster here at HF. We'll see how Fistric has developed in a year or 2/3..

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Starsdude said:
I just can't imagine why the stars took this guy if he is so bad. Unbelieveable with Meszaros there

It's not that he is bad, its that he played a very specific type of game.

It's possible that the Stars were simply trying to fill a certain role with this pick.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Starsdude said:

They obviosuly felt that he was there guy.... maybe they didn't liek Meszaros... they got another pick out of it as well.... I still think they should have picked Mezaros, Scremp, Rogers, or Green...
just me though

db23

The fact that he hasn't scored any points is not necessarily indicative that he can't. Players develop different styles and as they develop and move up the ladder they have to compromise their individual styles for the most part. Defenceman with big numbers offensively have to develop their defensive game and give up a lot of points that way. Purely stay at home types like Fistric have to work on their pucks skills and make their game more rounded as well, so they tend to pick up production as they go along. Not there is any threat that Fistric will become a PP QB or that Mezaros will become a stay at home crease clearer. But the vast differences do tend to even out a bit. I see Fistric as a Brad Brown type of defender. Perhaps a bit more mobile. Which ain't bad.

Also, Fistric would kick Valabik's ass in a scrap. For whatever that is worth.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Fighter said:
Fistric = Erskine

I'm not sold on both. Bad move by Dallas IMO

Erskine was extremely high thought of in the beginning, some scouts felt that he'd be our Hatcher replacement and when Hatcher left they also felt confident Erskine would eat a fair bit of Hatcher's minutes to provide those same strenghts he was so potent for, though not to the same degree ofcourse. But so far, he's been an amazing, hard hitter and has shown heavyweight potential in terms of fighting and standing up for your teammates, he's just way too shaky in his own zone at times, no better than Sami Helenius used to be. That, and because of the fact that the Stars are still contenders, they would rather fill their defensive corps with veterans rather than youngsters. The time has now come (if it's not this year, it will be next year) that it's the younger ones turn to start contributing at a regular base.

Erskine has yet to play a full season, so you can't really judge him yet really. Then again, the bits you could've seen from him were not all that promesing in all honesty. Aside from some bone crushing hits and smackdowns..

Fistric won't ever reach Erskine's "hypeness level" IMO.. I don't see him being praised as our new Hatcher really.

Jancevski (6'3), Nickerson (6'5), Fistric (6'3) and Erskine (6'5) should give us a nice plethora of bruising, stay at home, enforcer types for years to come, especially when you add in Waugh and Hamm. Though all will likely become 3rd pairing defensemen (some at best, and some have #4 potential (Fistric, Nickerson.. maybe Erskine still)..

Still, add in Daley, Fransson and Belle, and our future defense isn't bad at all really, that, while prior to the draft it was among the worst among all NHL organisations.

Wtu

Jun 11, 2004
Ott = Snott said:
Erskine was extremely high thought of in the beginning, some scouts felt that he'd be our Hatcher replacement and when Hatcher left they also felt confident Erskine would eat a fair bit of Hatcher's minutes to provide those same strenghts he was so potent for, though not to the same degree ofcourse. But so far, he's been an amazing, hard hitter and has shown heavyweight potential in terms of fighting and standing up for your teammates, he's just way too shaky in his own zone at times, no better than Sami Helenius used to be. That, and because of the fact that the Stars are still contenders, they would rather fill their defensive corps with veterans rather than youngsters. The time has now come (if it's not this year, it will be next year) that it's the younger ones turn to start contributing at a regular base.

Erskine has yet to play a full season, so you can't really judge him yet really. Then again, the bits you could've seen from him were not all that promesing in all honesty. Aside from some bone crushing hits and smackdowns..

:amazed: :amazed: Dallas does have a great balance on D!
It reminds me of Calgary's current D

Fistric won't ever reach Erskine's "hypeness level" IMO.. I don't see him being praised as our new Hatcher really.

Jancevski (6'3), Nickerson (6'5), Fistric (6'3) and Erskine (6'5) should give us a nice plethora of bruising, stay at home, enforcer types for years to come, especially when you add in Waugh and Hamm. Though all will likely become 3rd pairing defensemen (some at best, and some have #4 potential (Fistric, Nickerson.. maybe Erskine still)..

Still, add in Daley, Fransson and Belle, and our future defense isn't bad at all really, that, while prior to the draft it was among the worst among all NHL organisations.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Ott, I agree with you.
I meant that Fistric will turn as an Erskine type player without they hype. A sort of hard hitter, hard worker, but with few point. Currently I think that Erskine is a 5#-6# d-man and I don't see Fistric become better than this.

Oh yeah, and differently from Erskine, he won't be able to hang with NHL top heavyweights. ;)

db23

Fighter said:
Ott, I agree with you.
I meant that Fistric will turn as an Erskine type player without they hype. A sort of hard hitter, hard worker, but with few point. Currently I think that Erskine is a 5#-6# d-man and I don't see Fistric become better than this.

Oh yeah, and differently from Erskine, he won't be able to hang with NHL top heavyweights. ;)

Erskine was under 200 pounds when he was drafted. Fistric is 235. He isn't a goon, but he is scary strong and doesn't hesitate to go with anyone.

But then the guys' nickname is "Fist"........ :amazed:

db23

It will be interesting to see who is the better defender, he or Matt Nickerson whom the Stars signed this spring. They are about the same size. Nickerson is a bit bigger, but he is a year older. I think that Nickerson shoots right, Fistric left. Could be an ugly combo down the road. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad