Mark Cuban Comments on Hockey on TV

StellaArtois881199

Bring Back #94
Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton, AB
http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/171418

This is an article about why Hockey is as good as what it can be in terms of market share of the 4 major sports (5 if you include NASCAR).

He says that more people watch hockey on Saturday nights then do baseketball on Thursdays. Now that includes a Canadian audience as well.

Anyways... read the article.. i thought it was good....

And Cuban would be awesome for the NHL. My 0.02

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/171418

This is an article about why Hockey is as good as what it can be in terms of market share of the 4 major sports (5 if you include NASCAR).

He says that more people watch hockey on Saturday nights then do baseketball on Thursdays. Now that includes a Canadian audience as well.

Anyways... read the article.. i thought it was good....

And Cuban would be awesome for the NHL. My 0.02

That's a good article...Just hire him to be the mouthpiece of the NHL...

hockeydadx2*

We in Pittsburgh are hoping that he buys the Pens once the arena deal is finalized in the next few days. ML will put the team back on the market, and we are keeping our fingers crossed for hometown boy Cuban.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
We in Pittsburgh are hoping that he buys the Pens once the arena deal is finalized in the next few days. ML will put the team back on the market, and we are keeping our fingers crossed for hometown boy Cuban.

Cuban owning an NHL team would be great for the league IMO. He brings personality and determination to win. He's also the kind of guy that can help sell it down in the states.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Don't be silly.

How can "a basketball guy" help the NHL?

Did you even bother reading the article?

Where did our commish of the NHL come from? What league...hmm. :sarcasm:

Anyway, he's saying combine US & Canada ratings and then the NHL gets better numbers then the NBA. He raises a good point. I hope this guy does get a NHL franchise. He does have very good ideas that most would not even think of. He's a visionary...thats why he's a billionaire. But anyway...I agree with him.

Jazz

Don't be silly.

How can "a basketball guy" help the NHL?
Did you even bother reading the article?

Where did our commish of the NHL come from? What league...hmm. :sarcasm:

Anyway, he's saying combine US & Canada ratings and then the NHL gets better numbers then the NBA. He raises a good point. I hope this guy does get a NHL franchise. He does have very good ideas that most would not even think of. He's a visionary...thats why he's a billionaire. But anyway...I agree with him.
Timmy forgot the ":sarcasm: " icon in his post above.

Anyways, I thought about the point that the combined numbers for hockey are higher than pro-basketball, but thought the point was moot considering that US advertisers don't count the Canadian numbers. But then I did not think about how movies numbers are combined.

Cuban is right, hockey does have an inferiority complex in the US.

GSC2k2*

He's not really a "basketball" guy per se.

More like a marketing genius. And I think we could all agree that the NHL could use more people like him.
1. How is he a "marketing genius"? He hasn't marketed anything.

2. I am not sure how any league would benefit from a guy whose public persona is that of a jackass.

aussie yotes

Aug 21, 2006
Perth, Australia
1. How is he a "marketing genius"? He hasn't marketed anything.

2. I am not sure how any league would benefit from a guy whose public persona is that of a jackass.

He's a business man, and a bloody good one at that. You may see him as a "jackass" that is your opinion, but why dis on a guy that is wanting to promote the NHL, if you could get more US advertising dollars in Canada, it wouldnt be such a bad thing.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
There is not one person in the sporting world I would want in hockey more then this guy.

He's gold, he himself gets ratings. He should buy Pittsburgh, move them to a good location and watch the team become the most followed club in the NHL (besides the canadian teams that is), mind you, with Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Whitney and Fleury it wouldn't be to hard to achieve.

Slartibartfast

Jul 10, 2003
Willow Spring, NC
Visit site
He should buy Pittsburgh, move them to a good location and watch the team become the most followed club in the NHL (besides the canadian teams that is), mind you, with Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Whitney and Fleury it wouldn't be to hard to achieve.

A good location... like his hometown? :dunno:

Yeah... he'll move the Pens. That'll happen. :shakehead

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Wow, good luck convincing the American public to entertain the fact that Canadians watch hockey so they should too. People here don't care, it's your main sport over there so ofcourse you're going to have more watching it per capita like the NFL over here. Basketball is like the #3 sport here much behind football.

I mean the NBA playoffs get much better ratings than the NHL playoffs do in the US. What did game 7 of the finals last year get? 3.3 or something? One game in the second round with Lebron James had an 8.0 rating alone.

Last edited:

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
He should buy Pittsburgh, move them to a good location and watch the team become the most followed club in the NHL (besides the canadian teams that is)

:rolleyes:

You don't move a team to a good location (unknown / unproven location) when they are already in a great location. Second... in case you haven't noticed, they already are one of the most followed teams in U.S.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Mark Cuban's logic is flawed. The whole reason to combine the ratings is to attract advertising. But why would Jimmy John's advertise with the NHL knowing that 80% of the audience is Canadian and we don't have Jimmy Johns?
The only corporations you could get would be McDonalds, Walmart, etc. But even then, the average income a family makes in Canada is a lot lower than that of Family America. We make less and we spend less.
The NHL wants to start bringing in fans that have cash. Canadians, by nature, aren't as big of consumers as Americans.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
But even then, the average income a family makes in Canada is a lot lower than that of Family America. We make less and we spend less.
The NHL wants to start bringing in fans that have cash. Canadians, by nature, aren't as big of consumers as Americans.

Wrong. Median household income is very close.

http://www.answers.com/topic/household-income-in-the-united-states

Canadians have a slightly higher saving rate. Emphasis on slightly higher. Savings rates on a level of 1-2% means that Canadians consume at a very high level.

GSC2k2*

He's a business man, and a bloody good one at that. You may see him as a "jackass" that is your opinion, but why dis on a guy that is wanting to promote the NHL, if you could get more US advertising dollars in Canada, it wouldnt be such a bad thing.
You must be assuming that, just because he is a billionaire, he is "bloody good" as a businessman. He is simply one of the many guys who got real lucky at the right time with the internet bubble.

He has done nothing before or since that has distinguished him as anything other than a doofus who lucked out at the only time in history when he could have done so.

Killiecrankie*

You must be assuming that, just because he is a billionaire, he is "bloody good" as a businessman. He is simply one of the many guys who got real lucky at the right time with the internet bubble.

He has done nothing before or since that has distinguished him as anything other than a doofus who lucked out at the only time in history when he could have done so.

umm after the internet company he started a HD company.....hello big bucks rolling in.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Cuban isnt just lucky, hes a smart smart man, and it seems to me like he's always been one step ahead of the game in the technology department with radio streaming, now HD.

When he was a kid I guess he did something like sell garbage bags to people door to door for somereason, I forget the actual story, but I remember it sounding pretty smart.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
Cuban can only do good things for the NHL. Think about it: he's filthy rich, loves sports, and wants to help the image of the NHL. How can you naysay what he's trying to achieve?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That article is pretty enlightening.

Wholey crap though, he's 48?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->