Mark Buehrle to start Jays finale & then retire following the game?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know why they started him. Give him the 2 innings in relief or something. This is just disgraceful.
They didn't want to start Storman and that meant the only other option would be Drew Hutchison. Considering his road record this year it was the right move starting Buehrle. No one thought he was going to give up 6 runs in the 1st inning.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They didn't want to start Storman and that meant the only other option would be Drew Hutchison. Considering his road record this year it was the right move starting Buehrle. No one thought he was going to give up 6 runs in the 1st inning.

Uhhh... starting on 1 days rest when his arm is already tired. What did you think was gonna happen? I didn't expect 7 runs in the 1st but I'm not shocked it happened.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think Buehrle on 1 day rest should ever be the right move over Hutchison on full rest. 6 runs was kinda surprising, but not unforeseeable.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Great pitcher for White Sox and it sucks he wasn't a lifer for organization

6th all time in wins in franchise history (161) and a key member of 2005 WS team

Will always remember him for being part of that excellent 4 man rotation (Garcia , Contreras , Garland and him)

Wish he would sign one of those 1 day deals and have an official retirement ceremony before start of next season with White Sox

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Great pitcher for White Sox and it sucks he wasn't a lifer for organization

6th all time in wins in franchise history (161) and a key member of 2005 WS team

Will always remember him for being part of that excellent 4 man rotation (Garcia , Contreras , Garland and him)

Wish he would sign one of those 1 day deals and have an official retirement ceremony before start of next season with White Sox

Seems highly likely to me.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Uhhh... starting on 1 days rest when his arm is already tired. What did you think was gonna happen? I didn't expect 7 runs in the 1st but I'm not shocked it happened.

SANTArelli25 said:
I don't think Buehrle on 1 day rest should ever be the right move over Hutchison on full rest. 6 runs was kinda surprising, but not unforeseeable.
Besides some questionable balls called by the Umpire which would have got Buehrle out of the 1st had they been called for strike 3, the Jays also made 2 errors that didn't help. So if neither situation happens I say it's a better chance of seeing Buehrle get 200 innings.

However in the end the Royals still won today and their game was not even close, so I don't think starting Buehrle matters. So it's not the Royals lost and the Jays cost themselves the best record in the American League.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=279824&game=gid_2015_10_04_tormlb_tbamlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=&league=mlb&pnf=&zlpo=&cache=1.gif

i'm seeing close calls that are accurately called, guys.

the two pitches at the bottom of the zone look teal to me. not sure if they are, my wife isn't home and i'm colorblind. everything else is out of the zone and was called as such.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's unfortunate he got so close but couldn't quite get it done.

I would've rather seen the Jays started Hutch and given Buehrle the two innings of relief work in order to push him over the edge. Neither one belongs on the playoff roster, anyways, so why not?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't know why they started him. Give him the 2 innings in relief or something. This is just disgraceful.

He was only going to pitch 2 innings(if he could pitch innings without needing 50 pitches), what's the difference between 2 innings to start the game or having him pitch the 4th and 5th after Hutch bombs out?

I do believe he should have been left in there for at least 1 more inning Friday, he was only at 103, probably could have gotten to 200 there and then.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I do believe he should have been left in there for at least 1 more inning Friday, he was only at 103, probably could have gotten to 200 there and then.
On Friday he was taken out after hitting Brandon Guyer and that was with 2 outs. I think Gibbons should have let him finish the inning and brought him back the next inning.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
He was only going to pitch 2 innings(if he could pitch innings without needing 50 pitches), what's the difference between 2 innings to start the game or having him pitch the 4th and 5th after Hutch bombs out?

His arm must have been tired. Y'know, with how hard he throws and everything.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Either way, Buehrle was a good pitcher for a long time. Threw a ton of innings because he could induce weak contact early in counts.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I'm with the crowd that Buerhle should've thrown as a relief pitcher. Use up Hutchison since he won't be in the rotation (Price, Stroman, Dickey, and Estrada). It doesn't matter what 2 innings he would've pitched, all that matters is that he pitched the two innings.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
why not on postseason roster?

Well, to tell you the truth not everyone in Toronto likes that idea. This is where Gibbons as a manager makes me nervous. There have been plenty of times where he yanked the starter out too early this year. I never like when managers do this. Not letting Buehrle start might backfire on him. He's got the experience and an actual World Series title. I don't know, he'd have been in my top 4.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Well, to tell you the truth not everyone in Toronto likes that idea. This is where Gibbons as a manager makes me nervous. There have been plenty of times where he yanked the starter out too early this year. I never like when managers do this. Not letting Buehrle start might backfire on him. He's got the experience and an actual World Series title. I don't know, he'd have been in my top 4.

Buerhle hasn't been Buerhle since the summer, end of July IIRC. Putting him in is very risky considering you need excellent pitching and healthy arms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad