Recalled/Assigned: Mark Borowiecki called up

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
****ing Karlsson with Cowen now? Christ. Keep him with Methot. What the **** is the logic in changing that pairing? I really just don't understand.

The logic is simple, Mac wants the veterans to help mentor the less inexperienced guys, so Methot plays the right side with Weircoich to help him out.

IMO nothing wrong with Cowen and Karlsson together, Cowen can add the muscle and Karlsson can help Cowen with puck movement.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'd add Phillips and Corvo and Wiercioch to that list.

Gryba has been pretty bad. Not as bad as Cowen though, I'll give you that.

Gryba really hasn't been bad at all. He's been our 3rd best D pretty easily. Again, not that that's saying much, but if we had another decent top 4 option he would make a perfect 5/6 D right now. A strong RHD that could insulate Wiercioch or a good LHD that could play with Gryba would allow us to move Phillips/Wiercioch/Cowen down and limit their ice-time...which is badly needed right now.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Part of the problem is that we need our D to play within their means, too. Sorry, but Phillips, Cowen, Wiercioch and Gryba just aren't good at carrying the puck. They should be looking for quick passes out or chipping it off the boards. It feels like every time they try to settle the puck or carry it they lose it. They're also so ****ing hesitant in their own zone.

I think maybe you are missing a key ingredient, the forwards have to get open and moving to allow for quick passes.

One of the key issues for the D is the forwards are standing still in the D zone and passes die with the Sens forwards because they are stationary targets for the opposition's pinching D.

I don't believe MacLean wants anyone not name Karlsson carrying the puck out of the D-Zone with regularity, but when there is no where to pass the puck and the D is under pressure the D has to make some play.

At the game yesterday I purposefully watched the choices the Sens D had to make an outlet pass, they were limited to none. The lack of foot movement by the Sens forwards in the D-Zone leaves the D with three options, fire it around the wall and hope, Attempt to lob it into the neutral zone or try to carry it out.

In all these senarios the likelihood of the Sens maintaining possession is slim at best.

IMO if Mac can't find a solution to the lack of foot movement or intensity in the D-Zone there are going to many more nights like have already occurred too frequently this season.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Gryba really hasn't been bad at all. He's been our 3rd best D pretty easily. Again, not that that's saying much, but if we had another decent top 4 option he would make a perfect 5/6 D right now. A strong RHD that could insulate Wiercioch or a good LHD that could play with Gryba would allow us to move Phillips/Wiercioch/Cowen down and limit their ice-time...which is badly needed right now.

Sorry but I disagree.

There is no point to bringing in a top 4D, absolutely none.

This team is NOT a contender so holding back players development makes no sense.

Putting Cowen, Weircoich and Gryba under a microscope also makes no sense considering the three of them are all positive in the +/- where Karlsson, Methot and Phillips are all negative.

The fact that Karlsson and Methot are on the ice for more goals for than any other D combination makes the negative +/- even more concerning.

I strongly suggest people should stop looking solely at the D as the problem and place their focus on why the only five forwards have a positive +/- and one of those players is Conacher whose ice time has continued to shrink.

The defensive woes of this team are NOT attributable to the D alone, IMO the number of shots allowed and goals against are more likely due to poor defensive play of the forwards.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
****ing Karlsson with Cowen now? Christ. Keep him with Methot. What the **** is the logic in changing that pairing? I really just don't understand.

It's a pretty solid move, one I was rooting for before the season started. Basically it limits the weaknesses of our top two pairings, while promoting the strengths.

Methot has a solid breakout pass and can skate the puck out of trouble. His ability to break out of the zone is wasted playing alongside the best breakout pass in the league.

Cowen, on the other hand, has trouble moving the puck, and this has been magnified in recent games because he was forced to move the puck in situations he was not comfortable in.

I would like to see Cowen play strictly a shut down role, with little pinching, puck rushing and stretch passing, at least until he figures out his own-zone play. Putting him with EK should make him focus primarily on defence, rather than trying to play like an all-around defenseman, neglecting his defensive responsibilities in the process.

In addition, it gives Wiercioch (or whoever else) a solid partner and a veteran presence that should make a world of difference for the 2nd pairing. The move makes our defence much deeper, and considering how shallow our D has looked lately, it's a pretty shrewd move to make.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sorry but I disagree.

There is no point to bringing in a top 4D, absolutely none.

This team is NOT a contender so holding back players development makes no sense.

We don't have our 1st round pick - there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking to improve our team right now.

There's no upside to losing, especially with no high-end prospect to look forward to at the end of a poor year.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
4kkmk.jpg

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Yeah, Gryba has been fine. Nothing spectacular just steady and reliably physical.

I think maybe you are missing a key ingredient, the forwards have to get open and moving to allow for quick passes.

One of the key issues for the D is the forwards are standing still in the D zone and passes die with the Sens forwards because they are stationary targets for the opposition's pinching D.

I don't believe MacLean wants anyone not name Karlsson carrying the puck out of the D-Zone with regularity, but when there is no where to pass the puck and the D is under pressure the D has to make some play.

At the game yesterday I purposefully watched the choices the Sens D had to make an outlet pass, they were limited to none. The lack of foot movement by the Sens forwards in the D-Zone leaves the D with three options, fire it around the wall and hope, Attempt to lob it into the neutral zone or try to carry it out.

In all these senarios the likelihood of the Sens maintaining possession is slim at best.

IMO if Mac can't find a solution to the lack of foot movement or intensity in the D-Zone there are going to many more nights like have already occurred too frequently this season.

Your comment about the forwards not giving lanes for the D is dead on. That is our biggest problem but it was remedied today after the 1st. I hope we more of that consistent breakout with lots of support for the D.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Boro was awesome. He will continue to be good and deserves to be in the line-up over guys like Cowen and Wiercioch right now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well it was a decent outing for Boro. Cowen with Karlsson makes a lot sense since we only have two actual top 4 in Karlsson and Methot: ideally you put your best players together but in our situation spreading out the better dmen makes sense in order to make two pairings viable rather than just one

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well it was a decent outing for Boro. Cowen with Karlsson makes a lot sense since we only have two actual top 4 in Karlsson and Methot: ideally you put your best players together but in our situation spreading out the better dmen makes sense in order to make two pairings viable rather than just one

Two actual top 4... Chris Phillips?( The guy who's played much better in his own end than the two guys you mentioned)

Gettin' pretty tired of this ****.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Two actual top 4... Chris Phillips?( The guy who's played much better in his own end than the two guys you mentioned)

We need someone brought in as a bonafied 3D, because it appears one will not spring up internally for some length of time. It would solve a ton of issues. Having all of Cowen (who many of us thought would be there by now), Wier, Gryba and Boro up, granted with one sitting, is kinda nuts. At least 2 of them should be playing in Bingo.

And one of those two should be Wiercioch.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Just wanted to get this thread back to the top, and congratulate my buddy mark on his first nhl goal. Super proud of him he definitely deserves to stick around

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Wiercioch/Corvo
Phillips-Borowiecki
Wiercioch/Corvo

Gryba is not here but he is the one that needs to go, can he be sent to Bingo without going on waivers? Although, personally, I wouldn't care much if he was claimed.

Or maybe I should be more patient with him, but I know there is not the same upside as Cowen and Wiercioch

Anyway, the defense has been stabilized a bit and the fact that they are not facing the Sharks, Ducks and Hawks every night helps as well, like many were saying but others were going "excuses!"

It's not always excuses, sometimes it is "reasons"

Your comment about the forwards not giving lanes for the D is dead on. That is our biggest problem but it was remedied today after the 1st. I hope we more of that consistent breakout with lots of support for the D.

Again yesterday, was watching it closely and unless you're Karlsson (like one the best or the best), forwards make it hard for defense to breakout of the zone... Not many options, very few open lanes. Only Turris line and Smith does it consistently right now.

But hey, defense sucks :dunce:

ahhh, I know how you feel, but I'm over that now, I have come up to realization that it won't ever be a lot of sense around here... Many posts are just knee-jerk, "garrioch" style comments.

I'm still vocal about it, but I get my satisfaction by reading good posters like you, MoO, Defenseminister, Holdyourbreathe, Ice-Tray, Bonktastic, Choco, Havlatmach, Bileur, etc.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO these are the growing pains you get playing four young defencemen together, while Gryba isn't really young it's his first full season in the NHL. Chris Phillips is the player I want to retire sooner rather than later, for a veteran player he just makes way too many mistakes in his own end & doesn't bring much in the offensive end. IMO Gryba should replaces Phillip, he is bigger, tougher & is slowly learning the position & has the potential to be just as good, if not better. I don't expect that Phillips will be re-signed considering Borocop has a one way for next season.

Wiercioch has had his share of problems on defence, while he is a decent PMD he seems to struggle in the defensive zone. He doesn't use his size much & seems to lack confidence. He is an excellent passer & Ottawa needs his puck moving skills, I think he has the potential to be a decent top four defenceman for this team. He is another young guy who is learning the position & will only get better with experience.

Corvo is just too much of a "oh oh Corvo" every time he touches the puck, you never know whe he is going to give it uo which he does with regularity. He should be the guy they move as soon as someone calls about a defencemen. Ceci will eventually take his roster spot. Remember what Cowen did to White in last yr's playoffs which basically crushed the Habs after that. You don't get rid of 6'5" defencemen who can skate, fight, pass & be a top 4 defenceman on your roster & in Ottawa he is a top 4 like it or not. Cowen will get better we just have to have the patience for him to mature as a player & it will pay off.

Next Year:
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
IMO these are the growing pains you get playing four young defencemen together, while Gryba isn't really young it's his first full season in the NHL. Chris Phillips is the player I want to retire sooner rather than later, for a veteran player he just makes way too many mistakes in his own end & doesn't bring much in the offensive end. IMO Gryba should replaces Phillip, he is bigger, tougher & is slowly learning the position & has the potential to be just as good, if not better. I don't expect that Phillips will be re-signed considering Borocop has a one way for next season.

Wiercioch has had his share of problems on defence, while he is a decent PMD he seems to struggle in the defensive zone. He doesn't use his size much & seems to lack confidence. He is an excellent passer & Ottawa needs his puck moving skills, I think he has the potential to be a decent top four defenceman for this team. He is another young guy who is learning the position & will only get better with experience.

Corvo is just too much of a "oh oh Corvo" every time he touches the puck, you never know whe he is going to give it uo which he does with regularity. He should be the guy they move as soon as someone calls about a defencemen. Ceci will eventually take his roster spot. Remember what Cowen did to White in last yr's playoffs which basically crushed the Habs after that. You don't get rid of 6'5" defencemen who can skate, fight, pass & be a top 4 defenceman on your roster & in Ottawa he is a top 4 like it or not. Cowen will get better we just have to have the patience for him to mature as a player & it will pay off.

Next Year:
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

Stopped reading, I would bet a house that it won't happen. Gryba won't play over 1000 NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad