Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey, do you guys remember those games last season when Boro finally started looking like a decent 3rd pairing defenceman because all of a sudden he was inexplicably playing relatively mistake-free hockey for a while, and even though he clearly lacked skill, that maybe having him forced into a role as the 6th defenceman wasn't going to be painful as we might have first thought?

I miss those days.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Why not split up Boro and Wideman?
Boro was paired with Ceci game 1 @ home. Then they seperated them on the road, worried about not getting a favorable matchup without last line change.

Boro and Wideman played together the last 2 seasons and did reasonably well maybe why they were paired.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
With all the hate Boro gets, and honestly, most of the time it is probably justified. I believe that since it is easy to throw criticism when a player is under-performing or making mistakes, it is only fair to be consistent and give credit when it is due as well. Mark Borowiecki may not be flashy, but his job is not to be that type of defenseman and so far this year he is playing his role perfectly. I think sometimes the best way to judge a defenseman is by how little he gets talked about and this year Boro has not stood out and that is a good thing; it implies he is making less noticeable mistakes and doing the small things to go unnoticed. Also his stats are pretty good for his standards:

5 points in 15 games

+4 on a team that is -9 in goals diff.

53 hits which is 2nd most by d-men in the entire league

28 blocked shots

And probably the best stat of all: Only 8 giveaways all year which to put in perspective, Karlsson has the most of any defenseman with 29 giveaways (but of course we know that Karlsson plays a more risky type offensive game).

If he keeps it up, he really does fit the mold of the perfect #5-6 d-man on a good team, one who is not relied upon to provide offense but to make hits and play an intimidating style of play. Ironically though, he ranks pretty low on the blocked shots column this year, I wonder if Smith has given Boro a slight change of approach to his game?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Boro is having a pretty good yr, whenever I see him he is blocking shots, making hits, separating the forward from the puck & doing all the little things most fans not only don;t see could care less about but coaches love. And he is doing it just in time as it is a contract yr for him & hopefully some team will want a player like him for their playoff drive. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ottawa were lucky enough to get a 3rd rder for him.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
he hasn't been the tire fire that he usually is.

Will still be pretty annoyed if this buys him another couple of years on this roster. He would be taking up a spot from better players.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You have to give Boro credit. He plays the way the guy that doles out ice time wants him to play.

For 3 years under Boucher he stood up that left side to make a hit and it was the LW that had to back him up. He took heat Hereford that but the guy giving out the ice wanted that. He's playing more conservative this year and he's doing well. I think it also helps that he is playing with DeMelo as opposed to someone on the right side learning the ropes.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There are only a few guys in the entire game that throw hits like he does as consistently as he does, or throw guys to the ground, or finish all checks with intent. I’m glad we have one, because as a fan it always gives me a boost when he nails a forward on the left side.

He’s always blocked shots and been fearless, but this year he’s actually playing good hickey. I think his role, his ice time, and his job on the ice all seem to fit within his wheelhouse.

It’s nice to see. If he can play like he is all season I have no issues keeping him on in the rebuild on the bottom pairing.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Well, assuming Brannstrom stays on the left side (apparently he likes to play on the right), who does he beat out? Chabot, Wolanin, and Brannstrom have the left side pretty much locked.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I’ll give credit where credit is due, he’s been playing quiet well and impressive. I have been hard on him and had questioned his ability to still play and be relied upon but I will gladly say I was wrong, he and Demelo have been pretty solid. Boro is proving to be a great leader for the young guys.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Well, assuming Brannstrom stays on the left side (apparently he likes to play on the right), who does he beat out? Chabot, Wolanin, and Brannstrom have the left side pretty much locked.

Not to mention we'll be adding more high pick defenceman in the next few drafts.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
+/- is irrelevant but Boro has not been horrible. He's been playing within his means and helping occasionally at the other end. If we can get a high pick for him at the deadline, it would be amazing.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
+/- is irrelevant but Boro has not been horrible. He's been playing within his means and helping occasionally at the other end. If we can get a high pick for him at the deadline, it would be amazing.
I agree, trading Boro would be amazing.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Any stat is irrelevant if not taken in context.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

IMO I don't think they keep both Brannstrom & Wolanin long term, I think eventually one of them will likely get traded & it could be Wolanin unfortunately since he is older.

Who put you up to this?

I did. Of all the UFAs this yr, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Boro was re-signed since Ottawa does not have another tough D anywhere in their org that can hit like a truck, block a ton of shots, separate the player from the puck, clear the front of the net & drop the gloves. The only one that could be a much lighter version might be Englund & even he isn't as good or as tough. If they would have kept Harpur he could have taken that role, but instead they have decided to go small, soft & skilled on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad