Mark Arcobello

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm torn on what to do here. The simplest solution would be to put Gagner on RW when he comes back, as Arco seems much more defensively sound, but then what do you do with RW depth of Eberle-Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov?
I guess a trade to acquire a big time d-man could be in the works (as hopefully something is done about the goaltending long before Gagner returns).

Or: keep Gagner at C and run a VERY unconventional 4 scoring lines, because you can't really justify giving any of RNH, Gagner, Gordon or Arco 4th line minutes.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Acton
Smyth-Arcobello-Eberle

I know Acton doesn't exactly fit with the calibre of the other 11 guys, but that line would be fiesty enough and talented enough to work. And that would give us an extra centre on any given night. An injury to one of the skilled guys and we could simply shift to a 4th line of Acton, Smyth and Gazdic. RNH and Gordon lines could take the tougher matchups, and Gagner ad Arcobello could feast on easier conpetition.

Unlikely we'd see that, but man would that ever be exciting.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Haven't seen anyone doing that. What I do see is people making senseless comparisons between the two and somehow arriving at the ridiculous conclusion that Arco is/was/ever will be a better player than Gagner.

Besides, lets be honest, Arcobello hasn't done much beyond keep his head above water.
As soon as we get healthy its back to AHL for him
Wow you're a much better poster than this, I agree he has not come close to being at Gagner level but he has earned every right to be 2nd line c so far this young season. Winning draws plus player ppg barely keeping his head above water? don't let your Gagner love blind you of what Arco is doing.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I'm torn on what to do here. The simplest solution would be to put Gagner on RW when he comes back, as Arco seems much more defensively sound, but then what do you do with RW depth of Eberle-Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov?
I guess a trade to acquire a big time d-man could be in the works (as hopefully something is done about the goaltending long before Gagner returns).

Or: keep Gagner at C and run a VERY unconventional 4 scoring lines, because you can't really justify giving any of RNH, Gagner, Gordon or Arco 4th line minutes.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Acton
Smyth-Arcobello-Eberle

I know Acton doesn't exactly fit with the calibre of the other 11 guys, but that line would be fiesty enough and talented enough to work. And that would give us an extra centre on any given night. An injury to one of the skilled guys and we could simply shift to a 4th line of Acton, Smyth and Gazdic. RNH and Gordon lines could take the tougher matchups, and Gagner ad Arcobello could feast on easier conpetition.

Very interesting but where is the beef?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Very interesting but where is the beef?

I know exactly what you're saying, BUT what I can't help but notice ths far is that our 4th line hardly plays. And often when they do, it is just a scrambly game where not much gets accomplished. When Eakins has been cutting the 4th line's ice time late in these recent games, our skilled guys have still managed to be impressive, despite not having much "beef". I guess despite the 4th line being big and heavy, they really don't get much done. Having this much skill could allow us to skate circles around a lot of teams, especially when we're rolling out a "4th line" that has Arcobello and Eberle on it against their scrubs. It is extremely unconventional though, so I can't say I find it likely to ever see it.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I know exactly what you're saying, BUT what I can't help but notice ths far is that our 4th line hardly plays. And often when they do, it is just a scrambly game where not much gets accomplished. When Eakins has been cutting the 4th line's ice time late in these recent games, our skilled guys have still managed to be impressive, despite not having much "beef". I guess despite the 4th line being big and heavy, they really don't get much done. Having this much skill could allow us to skate circles around a lot of teams, especially when we're rolling out a "4th line" that has Arcobello and Eberle on it against their scrubs. It is extremely unconventional though, so I can't say I find it likely to ever see it.

I would take acton out put Gadzic on 4th line ;)

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Haven't seen anyone doing that.
But I guess when one makes as may ridiculous pronouncements on the board as you have, a kind of spider sensitivity to butthurt would develop.

Besides, lets be honest, Arcobello hasn't done much beyond keep his head above water.
As soon as we get healthy its back to AHL for him.

Like be responsible defensively, produce consistently, and not obtain most of his points in a handful of games?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Imagine if he could only have some finish on some of the chances he's getting.

This.

Horcoffian whiffs... but Horcoffian faceoffs... not Horcoffian boardwork/grit, but better than Horcoff in terms of offensive IQ, playmaking.

He is a limp noodle out there in some ways, but he brings enough to the table that he can play with the kids. Maybe he will continue to get more comfortable with the NHL game? Or maybe he will be relegated to the 4th... This team is so bad that we just have to let them fight to the death and see what happens.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I just noticed NHL . com has Arcobello listed as a rookie does this mean he is can vie for the Calder or is he to old at 25?

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
So if we can keep producing points at this pace without ganger. Does he then become the trading chip to land a goalie or an upgrade on defence? I still believe ganger will be better than acro just sort of throwing it out there.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Winning draws plus player ppg barely keeping his head above water? don't let your Gagner love blind you of what Arco is doing.
Sorry, I guess I should have said I only caught snippets of the game tonight and was so disgusted by Dubnyk that I didn't even bother to look at the boxscore. I see now that he had a couple of points tonight, and that's always worth a thread start at hfoil.

Good for him. In the other games I watched he only stood out when being removed from the puck with ease, or when missing a glorious scoring chance.

He is what he is, an AHL fill in. If you think he's not that, (and may even be a Calder candidate) why don't we shop him around the league and see what the offers are?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
His results are solid. I think he has outplayed acton for sure I guess the question is do you want to go with a bunch of scoring lines

Hall-Hopkins-Hemsky
Perron-ganger-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Gadzic

Or some combination of those players???

That is exactly how I want the forwards to look when Gagner comes back. Let Eakins blend as appropriate.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Haven't seen anyone doing that. What I do see is people making senseless comparisons between the two and somehow arriving at the ridiculous conclusion that Arco is/was/ever will be a better player than Gagner.

As soon as we get healthy its back to AHL for him.

I don't think so. I have no problem with Gagner as a center in the top 6, but Arco is showing enough to stay up.

I would move him to the 4th line and move Acton to wing.

Gadzic - Arco - Acton

This line could possibly play a few more minutes, and establish a forecheck. You have two good players on the dot.

Arco is more valuable than either Smyth, Brown, or Acton at this point.

Koto

May 3, 2011
Hall RNH Hemsky
Perron Gordon Gagner
Joensuu Arcobello Eberle
Smyth Acton Yakupov

Not the absolute worst, especially if we're 70% on draws every night.

God no, hes better than Gagner at C.

Perron - Nuge - Yak
Hall - Gordon - Hemsky
Gags - Arco - Eberle
Joensuu - Acton - Smyth

Dunno just a look. I liked Hall - Gord - Hemsky before.

Truth be told were busting at the seams with skill, we need to make a move (for a goalie).

We have so much skill it permeates every line, actually ridiculous tbh.

Both of the above are such nice lineups. Management will however require more facepunching.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Acton
Smyth-Arcobello-Eberle

This is such a progressive lineup, i would love to see it, but old man hockey logic requires facepunchers. (im tempted to put gazdic in somewhere for acton...but he couldn't play with gordon on a checking line, and he'd anchor everyone else. Perhaps moving gagner to wing really is the simplest way to make everyone fit.

I'd really want to see RNH and Yakupov together...lets see...

perron rnh yak
hall gagner hemsky
jonessu arco eberle
smyth gordon acton/gazdic

and if gagner still sucks at faceoffs

hall rnh yak
gagner arco eberle
perron gordon hemsky
smyth acton jonessu

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's certainly better at hockey than Acton is.

Will be interesting when Gagner comes back. Wouldn't be against him on the 3rd line at C and Gordon as #4.

We'll see. It's 5 games into the season and before last night he wasn't a PPG player. 3 points in a night will do that for you. I'm very impressed with his faceoffs though. Crazy he's at 60%.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Hemsky is gonna get traded sooner or later despite his good early start..once that happens Gagner could go to the wing, Yakupov takes Hemsky's spot and Arcobello stays in the top six if he continues his strong play.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Good for Arcobello for performing well the first few games. He still leads the league in missed empty nets on chances that any NHL player would've scored.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Arcobello has surprised certainly. I would be fine with him pushing Acton down to the minors when Gagner returns. Acton isn't bringing much and Arcobello is winning draws, defending well, and has at least a little offense, even if his shot isn't NHL calibre.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Arcobello has been good at faceoffs and has played well with skill players - that last part can't be understated. The difference between him and an Acton is being able to not only hold his own amongst talent, but be good enough to support and create offence. Perhaps a new-age lineup would serve the best: 3 scoring lines and Gordon on a hardnosed forechecking third line?

That can either be seen as our wingers being good enough to turn non-offensive centres into juggernauts (Gordon), or Arcobello being actually talented.

Good to have a good problem up front as opposed to the terrifying problem lying with us in the nets.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think so. I have no problem with Gagner as a center in the top 6, but Arco is showing enough to stay up.

I would move him to the 4th line and move Acton to wing.

Gadzic - Arco - Acton

This line could possibly play a few more minutes, and establish a forecheck. You have two good players on the dot.

Arco is more valuable than either Smyth, Brown, or Acton at this point.

I like that idea. It keeps Acton around as a LH faceoff and PK guy and keeps the 4th line pretty physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad