Mario vs. Hasek in breakaways: who's more intimidating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Between Mario Lemieux and Hasek who was more intimidating on breakaways or penalty shots? With either of them the opposing player always had a mental disadvantage regardless because they knew who was coming down on them or vice versa.

Lemieux - For all the marbles I dont think anyone would bet on anyone but Mario in a do or die situation on a penalty shot. Mario had a knack for making a goalie make the first move. Why? Well he had so many weapons. He had his long reach to deke guys out. Or if the goalie flinched just an inch Mario would just roof it top corner over the goalies shoulder and put it off the post and in. All the time! He always seemed to give the goalie a deer-in-the-headlights look. Its almost as if he had them at his mercy, and almost as if it was a game to him just to see them flinch before he burned them. Mario intimidated goalies more than anyone in the history of the game. He's 6/8 on penalty shots? I wonder who stopped him?

Hasek - He always gave shooters a brain freeze before they came down on him. As if they had to be perfect just to beat him. And basically they did. Hasek never went on the fake and his mask set him apart for the rest. You look at his unique mask and you KNEW it was Hasek you had to beat. That gave the shooters a disadvantage right off the bat. Hasek was so flexible and even when he was out of position he had the knack for making a save with his arm while his back was turned. You knew this was by far the best goalie in the league and one of the best ever so players often screwed up even before they got to the net. Or just froze and got confused when they got close to him. Look at the '98 Olympics vs. Canada, stopping all 5 shooters. At the '98 All-star skills competition he stopped 6 in a row!

In conclusion both are very intimidating and are the best ever for breakaways. I can remember both players making the other look foolish at least once. For Hasek it was in the '92 Cup finals. He stopped Lemieux on two breakaways in Game 4. For Lemieux it was in the '01 All-star game in the skills competition. He went in on Hasek and made him flinch and Lemieux roofed it top corner making Hasek seem human. The funny thing is Lemieux did it with such ease as if he knew what he was doing with such confidence. So who was more intimidating?

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Probably Hasek was more intimidating in his prime. However, neither of them are intimidating now. To beat Hasek on a penalty shot you have to get him flopping and then wait till he injures himself.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I would go Mario, just because if the player is good enough and is confident enough (and Mario was) then he is in controll of the situation and can make the Goalie do what he wants.

Its harder for the goalie to controll the situation simply because he doesnt have the puck.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Keep in mind this is an all time thing. Mario and Hasek arent the best anymore at 39. Its all time. Like say a '97-98 Hasek vs. a '88-96 Lemieux

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well, one of the most outstanding saves I've ever seen was by a young Hasek as a Blackhawk on a streaking Mario on a breakaway during the blowout game of the '92 Cup finals. So, Hasek may get the upper hand in this category.

Although, from a purely intimidation standpoint, Mario might get the nod. How's that for sitting on the fence?

:D

Personally I always thought of Jagr as more intimidating than Mario. Mario has a great record on penalty shots, but I have seen him get stopped by journeymen like Brian Hayward.

I'd give this one to Hasek (in his prime) you never knew what he was going to do, but then from all appearances neither did he!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Big Phil said:
...I can remember both players making the other look foolish at least once. For Hasek it was in the '92 Cup finals. He stopped Lemieux on two breakaways in Game 4. For Lemieux it was in the '01 All-star game in the skills competition. He went in on Hasek and made him flinch and Lemieux roofed it top corner making Hasek seem human.
In 2001 Hasek was human. In 1992 Mario was superhuman. so, whose making whom look foolish was more impressive? Hasek's on Mario obviously.

That said, this is a great thread. It gets us thinking and generates a lot of fence sitting, showing how good a question it is!

Mario was intimidating for a longer time, but for a couple of seasons there, Hasek was... unbelieveable. And the top shooters said they were intimidated, that Hasek got under their skin and convinced them they couldn't score on him.

The Sabres played an aggressive forechecking, full-press style which gave up several odd-man rushes against them, including breakaways. Why? As Peca said, "Dom is also our third defenseman."

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Malefic74 said:
Personally I always thought of Jagr as more intimidating than Mario. Mario has a great record on penalty shots, but I have seen him get stopped by journeymen like Brian Hayward.

I've seen Mario get stopped by all kinds of goalies. You can't score all the time.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Mario is probably the best 1-1 and breakaway player of all time though. Does everyone agree? Or is there someone else people think can overtake the big guy in this area of the game?

In the current NHL. No one touches Kovalchuk. The guy is a machine.

I can't think of a truly dominant breakaway goalie in the current NHL.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
mario was probably a better overall player in the early 90s, but his stickhandling and one on one play was at its peak around 1988-89, before his back injury in 1990. his moves at that point were downright disgusting, and if he was ever on a breakaway or penalty shot, it was a slam dunk goal.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I friend of mine used to be with the Sabres, he told me that one day after a skate session in training camp Wayne Primeau and another guy (can't remember the name but he was baout Primeau's calibre) each had 50 pucks at centre ice and they each took breakaways on Hasek.

One hundred pucks, an hour on the ice. Not one single goal. That's pretty amazing no matter who is shooting.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
NAE2 said:
I think pavel bure or patrick roy in their prime were way better

Neither one of them were better. Bure was amazing, probably the second best I can think of. But he could not beat goalies like Lemieux can. And Patrick Roy never held a candle to Hasek on breakaways. Roy was beatable, Hasek was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad