Mario too slow??

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I know this a taboo topic and maybe the whole line was off, but as hard as he's trying and as much as his linemates love playing with him, I can't help thinking that he's the weak link on the line. Defensively last night he was not up to par. The Czechs had that line hemmed in a lot. He just seemed slower than I'd like. In the offensive zone he's a monster, but if you're not in there often it's no use. Vinny on that line might produce better results. It'll never happen of course, but it's something to think about.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Last night, he had that partial breakaway, but got the puck tied up in his legs and then Vokoun skated out and shot it away. I was thinking that if that was a few years ago, the puck would of been in the net...

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
As forebsy said there was that near-break. There was also the play were he batted the puck out of the air and seconds later came around to score. I think he had another good game.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Jacques Plante said:
As forebsy said there was that near-break. There was also the play were he batted the puck out of the air and seconds later came around to score. I think he had another good game.

That was a powerplay. I don't dispute his skill when possession has been established in the offensive zone. He's a plasure to watch. It's the lack of speed in neutral zone and defensive end that stands out to me

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Yeah he's slow, but he also makes plays that no one in the world can make anymore, ones that no one else made since Gretz was still around. I'm no fan of Mario's, but his creativity and downright ability to make near impossible plays possible, makes him pretty valuable to this team. Its something an opposing team can't really prepare for, because its not anything they can predict.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
kenabnrmal said:
Yeah he's slow, but he also makes plays that no one in the world can make anymore, ones that no one else made since Gretz was still around. I'm no fan of Mario's, but his creativity and downright ability to make near impossible plays possible, makes him pretty valuable to this team. Its something an opposing team can't really prepare for, because its not anything they can predict.

For some reason last night I noticed Mario knock a pass down out of the air a couple of times and maintain control....I don't think anyone can do the little things like that like Mario.

:bow: Mario

High flyin' Habs*

In his prime was Mario better than Gretz ?? Im talking skillwise because Gretz usualy scored the garbage goals while Mario had some unbelievable skill.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Officer Jim Lahey said:
For some reason last night I noticed Mario knock a pass down out of the air a couple of times and maintain control....I don't think anyone can do the little things like that like Mario.

:bow: Mario

Saw that too. The powerplay goal he eventually scored wouldn't have happened if earlier in the play he had not managed to corral the puck out of the air and keep it onside while entering the offensive zone.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
smoothskater said:
In his prime was Mario better than Gretz ?? Im talking skillwise because Gretz usualy scored the garbage goals while Mario had some unbelievable skill.
Dont event think to start a debate between Gretz and Mario... It's been done several time.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
loudi94 said:
I know this a taboo topic and maybe the whole line was off, but as hard as he's trying and as much as his linemates love playing with him, I can't help thinking that he's the weak link on the line. Defensively last night he was not up to par. The Czechs had that line hemmed in a lot. He just seemed slower than I'd like. In the offensive zone he's a monster, but if you're not in there often it's no use. Vinny on that line might produce better results. It'll never happen of course, but it's something to think about.

I don't think he's slow. He "looks" slow, but this is probably because the way he skates. One time there was about to be a 3 on 2, and Mario was the one that skated back and catched up to the third man.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Back in the late 80s/early 90s many people were saying that Mario was too slow.

Heck, at full speed he was as fast as Paul Coffey. He just never looked fast because of his long strides.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
smoothskater said:

Not sure how old you are or how much you saw Gretz in his prime, but he hardly scored "mostly garbage" goals. He and Mario are the only men I've ever seen be absolutely magical, and do things with the puck that no one else can do. Not Forsberg, not Jagr, not anyone. Don't worry about comparing the two together, just recognize how much these two were in a world of their own during their respective careers. The fact that we're lucky enough to have watched a generation where they overlapped is incredible.

chicpea*

forbesy said:
Last night, he had that partial breakaway, but got the puck tied up in his legs and then Vokoun skated out and shot it away. I was thinking that if that was a few years ago, the puck would of been in the net...
I agree. Still, it was close. When that play happened I had a chuckle for Vokoun's thought processes. I mean, that play is always a risky one for a goalie, but consider the alternative: #66 on a clear break. haha. He made the right play for sure.

Jacques Plante said:
I think that was the most beautiful display of pure skill that I witnessed last night (except for Elliot Friedman's masterful show of interview techniques :shakehead ). Mario was moving at a good clip and just controlled that puck as though it were on the ice and moving slow. It was a treat.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
smoothskater said:
LOL!!

Spiral Architect

Jan 28, 2004
Vermont
Masao said:
Back in the late 80s/early 90s many people were saying that Mario was too slow.

Heck, at full speed he was as fast as Paul Coffey. He just never looked fast because of his long strides.
I can't say he was as fast as Coffey since I don't remember offhand what it was like watching them play together, but he definitely has always looked much slower than he actually is. If you're 6'4", it's kind of a given that you're not going to have to pump your legs as often as if you're 5'11".

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
smoothskater said:

I never knew Gretzky was a power forward. :)

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Gretzky would qualify as a power forward, he was more of a plumber-type: a garbage goal here, a holding penalty there... you don't amass a ridiculous amount of points the likes wil never be seen again in the NHL on putting the puck in the right place skills alone (or as the pundits call it "playmaking"), you need real, difficutly won plumbering experience.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Ismellofhockey said:
I don't think Gretzky would qualify as a power forward, he was more of a plumber-type: a garbage goal here, a holding penalty there... you don't amass a ridiculous amount of points the likes wil never be seen again in the NHL on putting the puck in the right place skills alone (or as the pundits call it "playmaking"), you need real, difficutly won plumbering experience.

Mario is the ultimate plumber. Heck, he passes his entire days coming in and out of pipes and jumping on turtles.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
roast said:
Mario's still good, just look at all those insane passes he throws to Iginla and Sakic.
Sums up my thoughts exactly. He is still the best playmaker and has the best hands on hockey. Its great to even see a physical side of him come out too.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Ugh Mario is not Slow, he's a little chubby but the dude has saved the world like 50 times already and this is the thanks he gets?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Smail said:
I don't think he's slow. He "looks" slow, but this is probably because the way he skates. One time there was about to be a 3 on 2, and Mario was the one that skated back and catched up to the third man.

Mario was great on the backcheck yesterday, and IMO so was Heatley. A bunch of people also touched on Mario's skating. He is NOT slow. He glides like Coffey, and his stride is really deceptive, it doesn't even look like he's hustling. The guy flys down the ice though. I'm sure he's slipping a little at his age, but I still think he's an amazing skater.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Masao said:
Back in the late 80s/early 90s many people were saying that Mario was too slow. .

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I never heard anyone saying that Mario was too slow.

Masao said:

Fast as Coffey?!?!?? Don't think so...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ismellofhockey said:
he was more of a plumber-type: a garbage goal here, a holding penalty there... you don't amass a ridiculous amount of points the likes wil never be seen again in the NHL on putting the puck in the right place skills alone (or as the pundits call it "playmaking"), you need real, difficutly won plumbering experience.

Gretzky, a plumber???!???!!! WHO are you guys?

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I said this before and my suspicions are stronger than ever now. Mario has lost it...and since I've always disliked Lemieux, it's very curious that I am so sad...

THAT fella out on the ice is not the Mario Lemieux of days gone by...there was a painful moment of realization for me back during the '96 World Cup when I realized that the Gretzky Magic was gone.

In the same way, I've been scratching my head, wondering if Mario's wand had no more magic left in it...and after watching him for...what 6 games?...I'm coming to the conclusion that Mario has lost his magic as well...I mean 6 games and 1 goal for Mario Lemieux???? I mean, as much as I dislike Mario Lemieux the man, I have always said that he is the most physically gifted hockey player of ALL time (not necessarily the best) and the old Mario would have 8, 9, 10, 11 goals by now!!!...and 3 or 4 of those just jaw dropping kind!!!

First there was Bobby...but he was taken away from us waaay too young...then Wayne became as shell of his former self, and now it's Mario...as I said before, ain't it a B!TCH getting old?!?!??!

...and PULEAAASE...you guys/gals out there please remember the Mario of couple years ago (if you can't remember him from 10 years ago) and not think that the Lemieux you see today is the Lemieux as he has always been as many of you are doing with Gretz!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad