News Article: Mario sits down with Orr, Messier and Gretzky

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Messier wasn't my favorite player either, but to say he is nowhere near the level of these other players is not true.

As captain of the '90 Oilers and '94 Rangers, Messier won 2 more Stanley Cups than Gretzky!

So by that rationale, Toews has reached Crosby/Malkin levels? He captained very very good teams to cups. Doesn't put him in the category of those other three. I guess they had to have him there in that round table to feed his already huge ego.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Only because Sid rejected him. ;)

When Crosby won this "Mark Messier Leadership Award" once time, they had him and Messier in an interview. The media guy tried to steer Sid towards complimenting Messier but Sid insisted his role-model had been Steve Yzerman. The ensuing smiles looked juuust a little bid awkward.

Yzerman, now there's a guy I have nothing but respect for. The Mark Messier award is a complete joke.

Mess can go honk on bobo. I hope he chokes on lays chips.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Messier is a jerk.

Pretty sure he was a bit of a dirty player too.

At least mario and wayne weren't too active in throwing ******** elbows.

Edit. Tbh..I'm sure the caps have a shrine to him..That's the kinda player they wanna be..That's the kind of player he was...take that cheap shot when no one is looking..But oh he's tough, a real competitor with an edge and drive to win at all costs..I say screw him

Last edited:

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
I'm not respecting the NHL until they create the Captain Intangibles Award. The winner is Jonathan Toews, even when he retires.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Awesome, but you know what, I just can't stand Gretzky. The guy is such a joke. When the Oilers were terrible, he distanced himself so much from that team up until McDavid was about to be drafted, now he's the biggest Oilers ambassador all of a sudden and shows up to games and what not.

Sorry, Great player, ******* of a person.

He was working for the Coyotes, part-owning them for awhile, and then later on took time away from the entire league. The Oilers then HIRED him.

He is hardly a joke, unless you're talking about the greatest joke of all time.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Messier, Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux. One of those players ( Messier) is not like the others...

IMO, Gretzky was over-rated.

My brothers, friends and I used to call him the "blueliner", always waiting for the big pass at the blueline, and he was also protected by the officials, which annoyed me to no end. If Orr would've gotten the special Gretzky protection, he might've played for 15 or 20 seasons, breaking every defensemen record possible.

Gretzky was definitely one of the best offensive players in NHL history, but I don't think he would've had the success with the Oilers without Messier on his team.

Like I said, Messier won two more Cups than Gretzky, and although I never really liked him, I have to admit he was a beast in the playoffs....and players who excel in the playoffs are the ones who I have more respect for....those are the kind of players I want on my team.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
IMO, Gretzky was over-rated.

My brothers, friends and I used to call him the "blueliner", always waiting for the big pass at the blueline, and he was also protected by the officials, which annoyed me to no end. If Orr would've gotten the special Gretzky protection, he might've played for 15 or 20 seasons, breaking every defensemen record possible.

Gretzky was definitely one of the best offensive players in NHL history, but I don't think he would've had the success with the Oilers without Messier on his team.

Like I said, Messier won two more Cups than Gretzky, and although I never really liked him, I have to admit he was a beast in the playoffs....and players who excel in the playoffs are the ones who I have more respect for....those are the kind of players I want on my team.

Well, Gretzky was also a beast in the playoffs. So there goes your argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad