News Article: Mario sits down with Orr, Messier and Gretzky

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Awesome, but you know what, I just can't stand Gretzky. The guy is such a joke. When the Oilers were terrible, he distanced himself so much from that team up until McDavid was about to be drafted, now he's the biggest Oilers ambassador all of a sudden and shows up to games and what not.

Sorry, Great player, ******* of a person.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Of course not, those there are not worthy of being in his presence :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Awesome, but you know what, I just can't stand Gretzky. The guy is such a joke. When the Oilers were terrible, he distanced himself so much from that team up until McDavid was about to be drafted, now he's the biggest Oilers ambassador all of a sudden and shows up to games and what not.

Yeah, but if I saw the game like Gretz, I wouldn't want to subject myself to the calibre of hockey the Oilers had been regularly serving up for about a decade before McDavid either.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I'm so sad that was only 10 minutes. I could honestly listen to those 5 talk for hours.

Mario. Wayne. Orr. That's the best part of the history of the greatest game on the planet.

More of this stuff. Moar

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I hate Messier. Probably more than any player. He's a self absorbed piece of garbage who is nowhere near the level of those three in terms of on ice play and class.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

Or he was directly involved with other franchises for most of those years.......

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I hate Messier. Probably more than any player. He's a self absorbed piece of garbage who is nowhere near the level of those three in terms of on ice play and class.

I disagree, I think Mess was incredible leader and clutch player. Though in my teen years my best friend then (devils fan) used to call him monkey face Messier, I still chuckle at that :laugh:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I disagree, I think Mess was incredible leader and clutch player. Though in my teen years my best friend then (devils fan) used to call him monkey face Messier, I still chuckle at that :laugh:

Oh he was, no doubt. Doesn't change the fact that he is a giant ****** *** who was never the best player in the game for a single season, let alone close to a decade like those other three guys. Let alone heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Hard to respect a guy who intentionally injures players then laughs about which one was his "best elbow".

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, but if I saw the game like Gretz, I wouldn't want to subject myself to the calibre of hockey the Oilers had been regularly serving up for about a decade before McDavid either.

Did you miss the time he coached and the Coyotes were an atrocious team with him at the helm?

Genius indeed.

rho

May 30, 2011
He stopped being a part of the Coyotes in 2009.

When the ownership went bankrupt. They owed him a ton of money and that didn't get settled by the NHL (who took over the franchise) until several years later. It seems like the whole thing soured him on having any kind of official position in the league for a long time.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Messier wasn't my favorite player either, but to say he is nowhere near the level of these other players is not true.

As captain of the '90 Oilers and '94 Rangers, Messier won 2 more Stanley Cups than Gretzky!

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Messier wasn't my favorite player either, but to say he is nowhere near the level of these other players is not true.

As captain of the '90 Oilers and '94 Rangers, Messier won 2 more Stanley Cups than Gretzky!

He may have the cups and some stats, but no, he is nowhere near the level of those other players. And he was a very dirty player quite a bit too. Never liked the guy.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
He's not totally self-absorbed. He does seem to have a thing for McDavid

Only because Sid rejected him. ;)

When Crosby won this "Mark Messier Leadership Award" once time, they had him and Messier in an interview. The media guy tried to steer Sid towards complimenting Messier but Sid insisted his role-model had been Steve Yzerman. The ensuing smiles looked juuust a little bid awkward.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013

I'm from Vancouver -- I loathe Messier.

Not to mention that the Messier Leadership Award is most narcissistic joke of an award. What type of legitimate award has only one guy, the guy the award is named after, randomly pick the winner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad