News Article: Mario Lemieux Unretired Like A Boss

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
It was late in November of 2000, and Mario Lemieux had something to get off his chest.

Just three years into his retirement, and one year after he had become majority owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Lemieux was having a drink in the home of Tom Grealish, his longtime friend and then-executive director of the Mario Lemieux Foundation. The pair had just come back to Grealish’s place for a nightcap after dinner with friends, and Lemieux patiently sipped a glass of cognac while he waited for the remaining guests to leave.

After the last straggler had gone home and the two friends were alone, Lemieux casually peered into his glass of brandy and murmured, “Look, I want to tell you something.”

Grealish braced for a haymaker. Lemieux had fought and won a battle with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in the early ’90s. The franchise was still struggling to stay afloat in the NHL’s oldest venue, the Mellon Arena, and the hallways outside the team’s locker room were being co-opted by rats. Suitors from other cities were knocking on the door. A million possibilities rushed through Grealish’s mind, all bad.

Finally, Lemieux shrugged: “I … I think I’m going to play again.”

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/05/03/mario-lemieux-unretired-like-a-boss/?sct=obinsite

Last edited by a moderator:

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
That was a great article. Mario is truly the man.

I know most other fans say how we tanked to get high picks, but Mario surely changed this franchise around. Whether or not it was drafting, or just running a great business, he has been great.

I know he's had help of some great businessmen, but not only was Mario one of the best athletes ever, I think he's one of the best owners ever too. He may have used himself to make money, but it worked, and he should be commended for that.

He also isn't in it for the limelight, as you can tell by him never speaking publicly. He quietly goes about running a great business, making a sports team profitable, keeping the fans involved, and making everyone that works for the organization happy.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
I remember when he retired 97.. Even though I was 8 or something, I remember telling my brother I think he will play again and my brother was like "Joe, he's retired and never coming back" I got teary eyed and said under my breath "yes he will". Low and behold a little boy got his wish!

diligent_d

Jul 20, 2005
Canada
2000 was still during the dark ages of the Internet, but I remember the game recap on Yahoo (or maybe it was USA Today) and being absolutely amazed and excited by his performance.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I remember I had an elementary basketball game that night... I think my dad was pissed he had to miss it...

Ended up breaking my ankle that night too. Good times.

member 51464

I remember I had an elementary basketball game that night... I think my dad was pissed he had to miss it...

Ended up breaking my ankle that night too. Good times.

I would've made the wife go and explain I wasn't feeling well. I am not cut out to be a father :laugh:

BCPEN

Apr 30, 2010
Thanks for article. Time to dust off OVER TIME and give it another read.

Dimetapppp

Apr 17, 2013
New to the boards, and I don't know how to embed links (teach me plz)

However...

that link goes to the pregame ceremony, which just gave me chills as a late teenager.

I have the DVD of the game, that's how cool that game was...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad