Mario Gosselin - Great Nordique.....Underated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balk

Healthy Scratch
I was just remiscing about great goaltending in Quebec and obviously Mario Gosselin came to mind. His magic in Quebec led the Nordiques through the 80s and early 90s. In 1985-86 when the Nords won the Adams division, Gosselin sturdily backed up Clint Malarchuk to the title. Any thoughts about him as the most underated golie of the decade?

Malarchuck 26-12-4
Gosselin 14-14-1

Career 86-93-13 GAA 3.69 (remember it was the 80s) SO: 0 (but they don't record one goal games)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My favorite Mario Gosselin memory: Poulin Scores Two-Men Down In 1985 Conference Finals

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pressbox/archive/967.asp

The Flyers had a 1-0 lead, but Joe Paterson and Brian Propp each drew penalties 37 seconds apart in the second period to put the team two men down on the ice. Poulin then lost a defensive-zone faceoff and the forecast grew gloomy, but the captain redeemed himself by intercepting a pass between the point men and skated up the length of the ice for a dramatic breakaway.

The screaming crowd roared louder as Poulin got the puck past Nordiques goalie Mario Gosselin and lit the lamp for the team’s first three-on-five playoff goal in franchise history. The dominance continued as the Flyers outshot Quebec, 36 to 15, and won the game, 3-0, and the series, four games to two.

A perfectly placed snap shot from 25 feet right over the glove. :handclap:

I remember Gosselin. Pretty good netminder, but to my mind not the most underrated in Quebec. I think Daniel Bouchard was a very underrated netminder who led the Nords on a couple of memorable playoff runs.

In 83-84 Bouchard played 57 games, going 29-18-8 with one shutout and a very respectable GAA of 3.20. In the playoffs that year he played in 9 games, going 5-4 with a 2.76 GAA.

Career numbers it's not even close.

Gosselin 91 wins 107 losses 14 ties 6 shutouts and 3.73 GAA
Bouchard 286 wins 232 losses 113 ties 27 shutouts and 3.26 GAA

Goose was OK, probably most remembered by watchers of Don Cherry videos for getting flipped a$$ over teakettle while playing the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->