Mario Chalmers Headed To Memphis

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
I believe that means they're relinquishing their rights to those players.
If Calathes left Panathinaikos and wanted to return to the NBA, he'd be Memphis property if not "relinquished." (Fairly certain)

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks good for all parties involved.

Heat can give more playing time to Tyler Johnson, who is probably better than Chalmers and a better fit for what they want to do. Same with their rookie, Josh Richardson, who people in the organization really like. Good for Heat fans too because Chalmers is so frustrating to watch. He did have his moments and hit some big shots in the playoffs over the years so best of luck to him.

Heat also lower their tax bill and save around $8M, which is something they've wanted to do since the summer. I'm guessing Birdman will be the next to go if they can find a taker so they'll be able to duck the tax all together.

Not sure how much better Chalmers is offensively but he is better than Udrih defensively. Probably an upgrade for the Grizzlies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I assume the heat will cut Beno?

Don't think so. He's on a guaranteed contract so he would count against the cap even if they waived him. Apparently they tried to send him to a third team in this deal but couldn't get anyone to bite so they'll keep him for now.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Don't think so. He's on a guaranteed contract so he would count against the cap even if they waived him. Apparently they tried to send him to a third team in this deal but couldn't get anyone to bite so they'll keep him for now.

Ah. He isn't great but is at least serviceable on a short term level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad