Mario captain, Iggy, Niedermayer, Sakic, Foote "A's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

In my opinion, Sakic deserved the C. He was our best player in the final match at the olympics and deserved to be the captain.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
19bruins19 said:
In my opinion, Sakic deserved the C. He was our best player in the final match at the olympics and deserved to be the captain.

One game doesn't earn the captaincy. Lemieux was the captain last time, I don't see any reason to replace him. This team is full of leaders.

Vic Rattlehead*

shadoz19 said:
One game doesn't earn the captaincy. Lemieux was the captain last time, I don't see any reason to replace him. This team is full of leaders.
The thing is, Sakic really deserves it in my opinion. It's time that Lemiuex shouldn't be the captain anymore.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Lemieux's the most experienced. Most of the players on that team, especially the younger ones, grew up watching him and Gretz be the best players ever. It's not like it REALLY makes a difference anyway. Leaders will lead with a C or with a blank jersey, simple as that.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
19bruins19 said:
The thing is, Sakic really deserves it in my opinion. It's time that Lemiuex shouldn't be the captain anymore.

Sakic and Lemieux are about 3 - 4 years apart in age. If its time for a new capt. they've got to go younger than those two. Probably Iginla or Neidermayer. However Lemieux will serve them well, as he led them to gold last time.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Lemieux is the obvious choice IMO. Sakic, Niedermayer & Foote were also no-brainers for "A"s.

I think its clear with Iginla getting an "A" that he will be the captain of the future for Team Canada.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I have mixed feelings about Iginla getting the "A".

Certainly he is a great NHL captain, and is really the best example of what a Canadian hockey player is to me.

However, with his tendancies to sort of lose it when things arne't going well for his team (the playoff fights are what I'm talking about), I'm not certain he will be as disciplined as he needs to be with European officials.

ak47

May 21, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:

Certainly he is a great NHL captain, and is really the best example of what a Canadian hockey player is to me.

However, with his tendancies to sort of lose it when things arne't going well for his team (the playoff fights are what I'm talking about), I'm not certain he will be as disciplined as he needs to be with European officials.

The reason why he is such a great captain is because he DOES lose it when things aren't going well. Let's face it; he only lost it when a message needed to be sent and the games were out of hand (Hatcher/Ohlund were fights at the end of losing games, Lecavalier was the 2 best players trying to make a statement). That was the beauty of the Flames in the playoffs and most of the year; even when they lost, you felt like they won (and I think the team felt like they won) because they always went down fighting (literally). That was a result of Iggy's leadership.
From watching him this past year, Iginla is smart enough to pick his spots on the ice, and is an incredible ambassodar for the game off of it.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:

An international tournament is a "little" different than the NHL playoffs. I'm not worried about Iginla picking a fight in the World Cup if that is what you are saying. Iginla is aware of the situation, he is a smart hockey player.

A 7 game playoff series is the farthest thing from an international tournament.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
ak47 said:
The reason why he is such a great captain is because he DOES lose it when things aren't going well. Let's face it; he only lost it when a message needed to be sent and the games were out of hand (Hatcher/Ohlund were fights at the end of losing games, Lecavalier was the 2 best players trying to make a statement). That was the beauty of the Flames in the playoffs and most of the year; even when they lost, you felt like they won (and I think the team felt like they won) because they always went down fighting (literally). That was a result of Iggy's leadership.
From watching him this past year, Iginla is smart enough to pick his spots on the ice, and is an incredible ambassodar for the game off of it.

:yo:

Couldn't agree more. Iginla won't back down from anyone if it means fighting for himself or one of his teammates. That is part of what a leader is all about. Sure, Messier, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman do not fight but if they had the strength and fighting abilities of Iginla, they surely would fight. They've had guys to do it for them (Semenko, Simon, McKenna, Worrell, Probert, McCarty etc...) while Iginla can handle things himself. You have to admire that.

Some call it sour grapes, I call it hating it lose.

Phanuthier*

Matt MacInnis said:
I'd rather have my leaders hate losing then accept defeat

SopelFan*

My guess is that it will be like this:

Lemieux- captain at all times.
2 of the "A's when they are the home team.
2 of them when they are the away team.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
SopelFan said:
My guess is that it will be like this:

Lemieux- captain at all times.
2 of the "A's when they are the home team.
2 of them when they are the away team.

yep.
thats how the canucks do it too.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm not saying Iginla has sour grapes or anything. He is a great leader who hates losing. That's perfect.

HOWEVER, I am concerned that he may not play as smart as he could be if he becomes frustrated by a poor result in a round robin game. With the chickenpoop way that many international games are officiated, my concern is he will pick up unnecessary penalties.

But maybe not. The playoffs are different from the World Cup, I agree. However, so is the officiating, and some things that were tolerated in theplayoffs, won't be in this tournament.

Phanuthier*

Matt MacInnis said:
HOWEVER, I am concerned that he may not play as smart as he could be if he becomes frustrated by a poor result in a round robin game.
And what gives you that idea? That when the Flames are losing, Iginla finds ways to motivates his team?

What, you think Iginla's going to go around breaking chairs because his team loses?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Splatman Phanutier said:
Uhh... good post?

Don't mind him he likes to troll things about Canada :shakehead

anyway why so many assistants, I know they all have great Leadership qualities but I'd like to see just 2.

C- Mario
A- Sakic
A- ...I dunno..

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I'm not saying Iginla has sour grapes or anything. He is a great leader who hates losing. That's perfect.

HOWEVER, I am concerned that he may not play as smart as he could be if he becomes frustrated by a poor result in a round robin game. With the chickenpoop way that many international games are officiated, my concern is he will pick up unnecessary penalties.

But maybe not. The playoffs are different from the World Cup, I agree. However, so is the officiating, and some things that were tolerated in theplayoffs, won't be in this tournament.

I totally agree that the officiating is horrid in Europe.

But we should be just as worried about Thornton, Jovanovski, Maltby, Doan, Smyth, Foote, Regehr etc.....

Anyone that plays a physical style is in the same boat IMO.

Phanuthier*

Protoman said:
Don't mind him he likes to troll things about Canada :shakehead

anyway why so many assistants, I know they all have great Leadership qualities but I'd like to see just 2.

C- Mario
A- Sakic
A- ...I dunno..
Probably to just spread out the pressure and media attension. Mario can handle it, being one of the top players in the history of hockey, but why put the pressure on 2 players?

Also spreads out responsibilities, and teaches younger guys Iginla and Niedermayer how to be a leader. The next world cup, it is likely that Iginla may get a C, or may be one of the remaining core of the 2002 Olympics et al and be a big part of Team Canada's future.

There's really no loss in having alternate assistant captains, and tons to gain.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Garfield said:
I totally agree that the officiating is horrid in Europe.

But we should be just as worried about Thornton, Jovanovski, Maltby, Doan, Smyth, Foote, Regehr etc.....

Anyone that plays a physical style is in the same boat IMO.

Oh, for sure, I agree.

But only Foote, of that group, is also being visibly put into a leadership role (and its basically inevitable for a defenceman).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad