TSN: Marincin, Petan on Waivers

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
No one wants Petan. He’s not an NHL player. Trading for Petan/ extending Petan is just another example of how Dubas can’t evaluate talent.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thanks for the clarifications, I'm surprised the 30 day window had already expired.

I still have 2 questions:

1) With Spezza's no trade clause, could he refuse a team if he is claimed on waivers and still remain a Leaf / Marlie?

2) Could he then practice with the Leafs?

I want to keep him around for now as a replacement if one of our top 3 centers go down.

I like the idea of keeping the 4th line intact and their role defined. I see this as being advantageous when we get to playoff hockey. They're not perfect but hard working and can get better if they continue to work hard and we have a full lineup.

You can then manage the minutes if Spezza is the 3rd line c and utilize the top 6 more when the game dictates it.

1) No. NTC does not protect from a waiver claim.

2) My understanding is No. He has to be assigned to the AHL to be off the Leafs cap. It's not required he actually play for the AHL team--they could tell him to stay home--but he does have to report and is considered on the AHL roster. My understanding is that players on AHL rosters are not free to practice full time with the NHL squad.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
No one wants Petan. He’s not an NHL player. Trading for Petan/ extending Petan is just another example of how Dubas can’t evaluate talent.
I sincerely doubt Par Lindholm would've been extended by the team, and we already own the 7th round. Adding Petan cost us nothing aside from a contract spot. Now the Marlies have one of the best forwards in the AHL.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If Spezza was waived and claimed would he even report?
Estimated career earning: $88,177,926

He might be all but waiver exempt due to his situation.

Unless he wants to go to a rebuilding team ... and why would he?

Some people thought Ottawa would be interested. Can't see that. They are rebuilding and have 2 centers due back from injury fairly soon.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I don't care what you are all saying I'm excited to see Petsn play on the Marlies. But with this being the 2nd time through I don't think he is going to have a good game

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I sincerely doubt Par Lindholm would've been extended by the team, and we already own the 7th round. Adding Petan cost us nothing aside from a contract spot. Now the Marlies have one of the best forwards in the AHL.

The Leafs traded an NHL caliber player, for a guy who isn’t. It’s that simple really. Dubas has no clue how to evaluate talent and things are only going to get worse. Literally every player Dubas brought in except Tavares ( anyone could’ve signed him) and Muzzin ( overpayment) has been trash.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Didn't the pk get worse after he left?

I don't know the answer to the question, but
@dekesfordays does....he said lindholm was garbage on the PK...so he must know the stats. Look forward to the stats @dekesfordays

While @dekesfordays is at it he can tell me how to do the @ tagging too.

KitchenSink

Dec 3, 2018
As a favour to Petan and Marincin or they would rather pay a percentage of their salaries (yes the money does not matter to the Leafs but it might to the Sens) or to free up a contract.

Sure, the real dollars don't matter to the Leafs but the cap hits from the salary retained certainly would. Its the whole reason they are being sent down and the leafs have to play with a 21 man roster rather than a 23 man roster when Hyman comes back.

The Leafs traded an NHL caliber player, for a guy who isn’t. It’s that simple really. Dubas has no clue how to evaluate talent and things are only going to get worse. Literally every player Dubas brought in except Tavares ( anyone could’ve signed him) and Muzzin ( overpayment) has been trash.

I think the leafs could probably trade Muzzin for a 1st and a low prospect if he had another year on his contract. So I'm not sure if it was an over payment. I would say that Muzzin has been the Leaf's best defenceman so far this year (it was pricey though).

I also think Dubas has brought in some other good players. I like Mikheyev and I think Kerfoot has been playing well lately. Barrie hasn't been playing well, but I think he will get better. I think he is being asked to focus on the defensive side of his game, which isn't his strong suit. It's kinda like what was asked of Reilly for his development too.

But I agree the Lindholm/Petan+extension trade along with the Sparks mid season extension doesn't look great for player evaluation. I also wasn't really a fan of his strategy for filling in the bottom six this year of just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. But I guess all he could afford was league minimum contracts due to the Marner negotiations.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
As a favour to Petan and Marincin or they would rather pay a percentage of their salaries (yes the money does not matter to the Leafs but it might to the Sens) or to free up a contract.

I guess you haven't heard, the Leafs are in a bit of a cap crunch

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Start with the 3rd line of Kerfoot-Mikheyev-Moore all excellent players brought in by our top flight GM. Watch for them and enjoy your viewing :)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well, and Mikheyev.

And Kerfoot.

Shore?

Lindholm --is he trash too, or is Par Lindholm a bona fide NHL player because he happens to play for the vaunted Boston Bruins? Would he be trash too if he were still wiggling around on the Leafs, because he sure didn't do much here. He was Peter Holland 2.0, and might still be.

I think you're not being fair in your assessment, above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->