TSN: Marincin, Petan on Waivers

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe the leafs want the extra contract spot and actually want to give him a chance elsewhere? Thus they played him, so he would have to pass through waivers.

I could totally get behind that. Just seems strange when the move they made 4 days prior was sending him down on the final day they could to avoid waivers suggests the thought process 4 days prior was the exact opposite so something must have changed within those 4 days.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I thought it was interesting to recall Petan to play just 1 game and by doing so he requires waivers again after they mkade sure to send him back down on the exact day he wouldn't require waivers again. People have said it was a showcase, but realistically how well do you expect him to play that 1 game suddenly causes someone to want to give you a 7th for him.

My guess would be the Leafs wanted to see if they could reset the waivers clock on Petan before having to cut down to 21 players on the roster. If the team does run with the projected 21 player roster with emergency swaps as needed, then having Petan one day away from waivers on a callup is less valuable then Petan with 30 days of waiver exemption on callup.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's what I was wondering, could they waive Spezza but keep him with the team? Since he has a no - trade clause could they this this to park him for now?

I also think Petan doesn't need to clear waivers (for 30 days / 10 games) and Poulin said the same on Leafs Lunch today. After seeing the tweets, etc , its clear as mud for me!

With Petan its been a calendar month ie 30 days since he cleared prior to the opening of the regular season, so he would need to go on waivers again now..If they place him on waivers now a new 30 day/10 game window opens again if he clears. Which means he can go up and down freely with the Marlies without the need to clear waivers again for another calendar month.

Also this might be intentional to see if any other team is interested in him and thus waiving him opens that opportunity almost as a favour to Petan to see if he can catch on with another team and get to play in the NHL.

With Spezza if he is put on waivers and clears he no longer counts against the Leafs cap.. It doesn't matter where he plays as its not mandatory he end up in the AHL. He could sit in the pressbox or they could tell him to sit at home if they like.. They do retain his rights because of his guaranteed contract and therefore can activate and play him at any time thereafter. Once he dresses for the Leafs again then his cap hit starts counting against the teams salary cap again.

Last edited:

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
With Petan its been a calendar month ie 30 days since he cleared prior to the opening of the regular season, so he would need to go on waivers again now..If they place him on waivers now a new 30 day/10 game window opens again if he clears. Which means he can go up and down freely with the Marlies without the need to clear waivers again for another calendar month.

Also this might be intentional to see if any other team is interested in him and thus waiving him opens that opportunity almost as a favour to Petan to see if he can catch on with another team and get to play in the NHL.

With Spezza if he is put on waivers and clears he no longer counts against the Leafs cap.. It doesn't matter where he plays as its not mandatory he end up in the AHL. He could sit in the pressbox or they could tell him to sit at home if they like.. They do retain his rights because of his guaranteed contract and therefore can activate and play him at any time thereafter. Once he dresses for the Leafs again then his cap hit starts counting against the teams salary cap again.

Thanks for the clarifications, I'm surprised the 30 day window had already expired.

I still have 2 questions:

1) With Spezza's no trade clause, could he refuse a team if he is claimed on waivers and still remain a Leaf / Marlie?

2) Could he then practice with the Leafs?

I want to keep him around for now as a replacement if one of our top 3 centers go down.

I like the idea of keeping the 4th line intact and their role defined. I see this as being advantageous when we get to playoff hockey. They're not perfect but hard working and can get better if they continue to work hard and we have a full lineup.

You can then manage the minutes if Spezza is the 3rd line c and utilize the top 6 more when the game dictates it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thanks for the clarifications, I'm surprised the 30 day window had already expired.

1) With Spezza's no trade clause, could he refuse a team if he is claimed on waivers and still remain a Leaf / Marlie?

I want to keep him around for now as a replacement if one of our top 3 centers go down.

I like the idea of keeping the 4th line intact and their role defined. I see this as being advantageous when we get to playoff hockey. They're not perfect but hard working and can get better if they continue to work hard and we have a full lineup.

You can then manage the minutes if Spezza is the 3rd line c and utilize the top 6 more when the game dictates it.

1) The difference between a NTC and NMC is what matters here with Spezza. No trade clause does not prevent a player from being placed on waivers and claimed.. If that player has a full No Movement clause then he can't be placed on waivers.

2) He can remain with the team and stay in Toronto .. I think the only thing in the CBA IIRC is that he couldn't travel on road trips because of those team travel costs are factored in for active players only, as well as some insurance issues. Very small issues.

Since Spezza has a contract < $925k it wouldn't matter if he went to the AHL or not because his full amount wouldn't count on the NHL cap. No team would care if he plays in the AHL after that point of sits in Leafs pressbox or sits on his couch as home.

As far as practicing goes he more than likely would need to do that with the Marlies as opposed to the Leafs, because he would need to be officially recalled to be on the ice with the Leafs at practice and that is likely mostly due to injury insurance issues in case he got hurt while practicing and not be on the NHL roster officially during that time.

The main reason for these CBA rules are intended for Salary Cap issues and so once a team has placed a player on waivers and every team has a shot at claiming him, then there really can't be any questionable salary cap end-around type concerns league wide.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I suppose he could refuse to report to the team that would (hypothetically) claim him off waivers. His NTC wouldn't allow him to avoid waivers entirely though (only a NMC could do that), and if he were to be claimed, he's then no longer a Leaf or Leaf property (Marlie).

Reactions: 54thecup

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
1) The difference between a NTC and NMC is what matters here with Spezza. No trade clause does not prevent a player from being placed on waivers and claimed.. If that player has a full No Movement clause then he can't be placed on waivers.

2) He can remain with the team and stay in Toronto .. I think the only thing in the CBA IIRC is that he couldn't travel on road trips because of those team travel costs are factored in for active players only, as well as some insurance issues. Very small issues.

Since Spezza has a contract < $925k it wouldn't matter if he went to the AHL or not because his full amount wouldn't count on the NHL cap. No team would care if he plays in the AHL after that point of sits in Leafs pressbox or sits on his couch as home.

As far as practicing goes he more than likely would need to do that with the Marlies as opposed to the Leafs, because he would need to be officially recalled to be on the ice with the Leafs at practice and that is likely mostly due to injury insurance issues in case he got hurt while practicing and not be on the NHL roster officially during that time.

The main reason for these CBA rules are intended for Salary Cap issues and so once a team has placed a player on waivers and every team has a shot at claiming him, then there really can't be any questionable salary cap end-around type concerns league wide.

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense now.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe the courtesy of self-directing a destination for Spezza is happening behind the scenes right now.
it's unfortunate that this has happened, I'm sure Spezza would have rather retired then have this occur considering he took a league minimum to come here. Bad way to end your career and another distraction to a team that doesn't need distractions.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Shocked Petan wasn't picked up

Someone may trade for him now, and he actually has more value now.

Some teams will want the opportunity to even out contracts or to have the ability to send him up and down from the NHL without waivers.

Just like the Leafs did when they traded a 6th + contract dump for Pickard a few years ago.

Reactions: 13MatsSundin

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Someone may trade for him now, and he actually has more value now.

Some teams will want the opportunity to even out contracts or to have the ability to send him up and down from the NHL without waivers.

This is Petan’s 2nd time passing through waivers this season

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
If you're going to trade for a tweener, get one big enough to play against the big boys, plays with grit and is useful defensively. Otherwise better to ask for a draft pick back.

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
Garbage is a bit harsh, i would say mediocre, but on Edmonton that is better that what they have now.
Kind of strange considering the current NHL standings. Why is our garbage better for a team ahead of us? They got their not crap goalie and that is what was needed to make them decent.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This is Petan’s 2nd time passing through waivers this season

Dubas gave up Lindholm for Petan before trade deadline last year...which was an odd move for a team destined for playoffs. Lindholm was a big component to Babs PK.

Now nobody wants Petan for free...and Petan hasn't really had any chance to showcase himself since the last deadline...meaning he really shouldn't have lost value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad