TSN: Marincin, Petan on Waivers

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
No surprise yet. The big decision is who gets sent down next. Marincin will clear or go to Winnipeg. Petan will clear or go to Edmonton.

I'm really hoping Spezza stays on the big club and Shore gets sent down for Hyman. Spezz is a really fun storyline, and I want to see it keep going.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
No surprise yet. The big decision is who gets sent down next. Marincin will clear or go to Winnipeg. Petan will clear or go to Edmonton.

I'm really hoping Spezza stays on the big club and Shore gets sent down for Hyman. Spezz is a really fun storyline, and I want to see it keep going.

I've grown to like Spezza. Leadership abilities and his love for the game.

Reactions: qqaz

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
He has had ample opportunity to show he is an NHL caliber player. He has failed at multiple stops. He is undersized, poor defensively and doesn’t produce at all. 6 goals in 118 career games, and showing no signs of being able to break out.

He’s just another garbage player that Dubas brought in.
The garbage moniker for a professional athlete and person Is bit much , Wouldn’t you say?

Reactions: nuck and kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's what I was wondering, could they waive Spezza but keep him with the team? Since he has a no - trade clause could they this this to park him for now?

I also think Petan doesn't need to clear waivers (for 30 days / 10 games) and Poulin said the same on Leafs Lunch today. After seeing the tweets, etc , its clear as mud for me!

Spezza could clear and stay with the Leafs but Mess is incorrect in saying he wouldn't count against the cap. The only way to get him off the cap would to take him off the roster. Having him on the Marlies roster but with the Leafs is another thing but there are rules surrounding that including him not being allowed to practice nor play(obviously) with the Leafs.

Petan had to clear since he'd been on the Leafs roster for 30 days combined since he had last cleared waivers.(Oct 3rd-Nov 1st & Nov 5th to Nov 6th)

Reactions: Buds17 and 54thecup

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marincin is that girfriend of your best friend from high school who's somehow always comes back and ruin him. He finally breaks up with that toxic chick, you all happy it's over, but the next thing you know she's back again and you just don't know how.

Hopefully, this time you truly let her go, my dear friend.

Or...

He's that pro hockey player who is a really good guy and who never whines about his ice time or getting scratched. He's just a pro hockey caught in that space between really good AHLer and not so good NHLer, who his coach, his GM and his other front office hockey guys like personally.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I doubt he plays in the AHL.

If he clears he likely stays with the Leafs as an extra, but he wouldn't count against the cap.

Would he still not count against the cap in that scenario? I thought a player (or the contract, at least) only entirely comes off the cap when in the AHL, and when under or at a specified amount?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
to ensure a lower team doesn't claim them 1st?
That depends on if the mediocre teams want to risk it or not.

You can't force teams to make any trade.

I'm sure Leafs talked to teams about those types of deals, they've done it before.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That depends on if the mediocre teams want to risk it or not.

You can't force teams to make any trade.

I'm sure Leafs talked to teams about those types of deals, they've done it before.
whatever.......someone suggested if either player passes through waivers then teams might trade for them and assign them to the AHL, like I said whatever.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If Spezza was waived and claimed would he even report?
Estimated career earning: $88,177,926

He might be all but waiver exempt due to his situation.

Unless he wants to go to a rebuilding team ... and why would he?
I could see him and Pittsburgh being a good fit with Malkin's injury

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I thought it was interesting to recall Petan to play just 1 game and by doing so he requires waivers again after they mkade sure to send him back down on the exact day he wouldn't require waivers again. People have said it was a showcase, but realistically how well do you expect him to play that 1 game suddenly causes someone to want to give you a 7th for him.

Maybe the leafs want the extra contract spot and actually want to give him a chance elsewhere? Thus they played him, so he would have to pass through waivers.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hard to not see a team like Ottawa or Detroit pick up Petan. 66% CF with 66% defensive zone starts.

Petan-Tavares-Marner had 72% CF in the nearly 10 minutes they played together the other night. Would have liked to see a few more games of this and Shore waived instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->