WJC: Marincin hit on Zucker (UPD: Marincin suspended 4 games; Hrasko 3 games)

MC David

Sep 26, 2008
I'm an Oilers fan and I am very disappointed. I was really looking forward to watching Marcinin in this tournament as he would probably be one of Slovakia's best players (plus 1 on the night). I haven't seen the hit yet but from what everyone is saying it sounds bad. Hope Zucker is going to be ok.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Zucker makes a solid check in the corner. Starts skating towards the net without the puck, Marincin skates in front of Zucker and throws his elbow at Zucker's head. Zucker had to be helped off the ice by a teammate and medical staff member.

PensBeerGeek

May 1, 2007
Washington, PA
I'm an Oilers fan and I am very disappointed. I was really looking forward to watching Marcinin in this tournament as he would probably be one of Slovakia's best players (plus 1 on the night). I haven't seen the hit yet but from what everyone is saying it sounds bad. Hope Zucker is going to be ok.

Unfortunately, it was a pretty bad hit. The other questionable hits in the tournament were at least in the flow of play. The Marcinin hit was well off of the play, catching Zucker on a blindside hit with his elbow well raised...couldn't call it anything but a cheap shot.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Well, this made Kassian's hit look pretty tame in comparison. Not only is this hit way later than Kassian's, it's much higher and an attempt to injure.

Hopefully someone can upload a video of it, because it was a pretty disgusting, cowardly hit.

I would not be surprised to see Marincin suspended for the entire tournament for that display.

Kassian's hit was big and a bit late, and I don't think he was looking to injure anyone. Later on in that game the Czech Republic had some questionable play hooking at the Canadian player (blanking on the name right now) in his groin area, and the Czech goalie slashing Foligno in the back of his knees like he was chopping down a Christmas tree!

In this US-Slovakia game the Slovaks had some dirty hits that were high and late. :rant:

The IIHF needs to do at least one of two things:
1.) Allow for fighting because some of these euro teams can get dirty on our Canadian and US players without any fear of retaliation.

2.) If not fighting, the other option would be to find a different tie-breaker instead of goal differential because it look like the Czechs against Canada and the Slovaks vs. the US started getting chippy/dirty once they started getting blown out. Even though it’s not because the US and Canada are rubbing in that they suck, it’s because under the current format goals are key if the standings are tied.

Marincin knew he did not have the puck. He skated full force into him. How is this not an attempt to injure? Was Marincin really helping the play by doing this? How could it have helped his team? What else would he intend to do?

Not only did Zucker not have the puck, it wasn't anywhere close! unlike some of the other questionable hits in the Tournament, the puck and play was along the boards in the opposite corner.

Last edited:

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Kassian's hit was big and a bit late, and I don't think he was looking to injure anyone. Later on in that game the Czech Republic had some questionable play hooking at the Canadian player (blanking on the name right now) in his groin area, and the Czech goalie slashing Foligno in the back of his knees like he was chopping down a Christmas tree!

In this US-Slovakia game the Slovaks had some dirty hits that were high and late. :rant:

The IIHF needs to do at least one of two things:
1.) Allow for fighting because some of these euro teams can get dirty on our Canadian and US players without any fear of retaliation.

2.) If not fighting, the other option would be to find a different tie-breaker instead of goal differential because it look like the Czechs against Canada and the Slovaks vs. the US started getting chippy/dirty once they started getting blown out. Even though it’s not because the US and Canada are rubbing in that they suck, it’s because under the current format goals are key if the standings are tied.

:handclap:

Thank You

came here to post just that. to put it nicely euros aren't known for fighting and in this tournament they are running around knowing that they can't get their clock cleaned by the more physical North American teams if they start running around. they should allow fighting just to keep some of this bull **** under control.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
:handclap:

Thank You

came here to post just that. to put it nicely euros aren't known for fighting and in this tournament they are running around knowing that they can't get their clock cleaned by the more physical North American teams if they start running around. they should allow fighting just to keep some of this bull **** under control.

Couldn't agree more. If fighting was allowed, this pansy ass punk would've had his face beaten into the ground for that cheap shot.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
As a side note, you may recall this hit delivered by Zucker at last year’s World Junior Championship. The U.S. Men’s National Under-18 Team played Slovakia’s under-18 squad in an exhibition prior to last year’s IIHF World Under-18 Championship in Belarus. During that game, it was noticeable that the Slovakian players were out to get Zucker. One of my fellow Team USA staffers quipped, at the time, that the extra attention was perhaps retaliation for the hit at the WJC. Maybe it was, I can’t be certain. However, Martin Marincin delivered a deliberate knee-on-knee hit to Zucker that earned Marincin a major penalty and game misconduct (Here’s that game’s box score). So yeah, there’s a history.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't exactly know how much allowing fighting would resolve the issue, if a player hits someone like this and doesn't want to back it up and fight, then only more issues will be created, the opposite team will come at him to fight, he won't, sucker punches will liekly be thrown, followed by pother players coming into defend their player and we may end up with something like the Canada/Russia game where both teams got kicked out of the tournament. It likely won't get that far, but if the player making the dirty hit doesn't want to fight then how's that going to help? It works in the NHL as when a player delivers a dirty hit he knows he's going to have to back it up and drops the gloves, but as some people are stereotyping that europeans are wimps, what would happen when an american went after Marincin here, would he have dropped the gloves? or would a bigger melee have ensued?

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
I've been looking for a YT and can't find one.

This was a disgusting hit, Marincin should be out for the rest of the tournament.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Like how fighting keeps guys like Avery in check in the NHL?

Avery has a reputation for his mouth, but on the ice his actions are on the edge, sometimes over it but usually not cheap. he never hit a guy like this. that hit was bull ****. i don't like avery by any stretch, but the guy backs it up by dropping the gloves. he is an agitator and a good one, but you don't see him cheap shotting people like this Marincin hit.

fact is fighting keeps guys in check. if a guy is scared he might get his ass kicked for running around like reckless moron he won't go around delivering stupid cheap shots like this hit. it was ****ing garbage.

btw i can't believe i just defended avery

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Like how fighting keeps guys like Avery in check in the NHL?

The current fighting rules in the NHL help create guys like Sean Avery.

In the NHL you get extra minor penalty and a ten minute misconduct for being the first to drop the gloves in a fighting situation. Guys like Avery use this rule to antagonize and bait players into starting the fight first. The "instigator" rule has been a source of contention because it handcuffs Enforcers for going after players who take liberties on their star teammates.

In Exisle

Nov 24, 2006
Boston, MA
I've always found it ironic how the "instigator" penalty seems to have promoted a newer form of instigating throughout the league.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I've been looking for a YT and can't find one.

This was a disgusting hit, Marincin should be out for the rest of the tournament.

Just saw the replay on tv. Absolutely horrible hit. Hope Zucker will be ok. Disgusting, disgusting hit.

Last edited:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I can't believe this isn't on youtube yet. I don't doubt that it's as bad as everyone is saying. I just want to see it since Marincin is one of the Oilers top prospects.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
fact is fighting keeps guys in check. if a guy is scared he might get his ass kicked for running around like reckless moron he won't go around delivering stupid cheap shots like this hit. it was ****ing garbage.

btw i can't believe i just defended avery

No, it doesn't, that's the problem.

Fighting being allowed doesn't stop cheap shots, as you can see in the NHL. Just like the instigator doesn't stop anyone from getting revenge if he thinks his teammate was attacked unfairly. Nor do IIHF-rules prevent a player from going after an opponent. If someone thinks revenge is needed, he won't care one bit about a game misconduct.

Besides, IIHF-rules don't prevent fighting completely. While they are harsher than NHL-rules, it always depends on who is the ref. Some refs are fine with handing out 2+2 or 2+2+10 for a fight, which isn't worse than the 2+5+10 a player would get in the NHL for instigating such a fight. Of course, if you get the wrong ref, even a few punches can get you thrown out of the game, but that's a risk you take with every physical action on the ice.

No penalty and no retribution will stop a player from doing something stupid.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I want to see it before i say anything on it.

I also think that there is a possibility that it isn't that dirty at all.. seeing how Zucker is a short mofo and Marincin is like 6'6. Marincin would have to tie his arm behind is back in order to not get the elbow at the level of Zuckers head.

NHL33*

Definitely a dirty hit, and I can't figure out how anybody who actually watched the play would think otherwise.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I want to see it before i say anything on it.

I also think that there is a possibility that it isn't that dirty at all...
Wow, did you just contradict yourself in two sentences? :laugh:

While I do want to meet you before judging you, I also think there is the possibility you are biased given you might be an Edmonton fan.

Look, I did it in one sentence.:yo:

debil

Sep 23, 2006
well i dont like what marcincin did but just because he will miss some games but other than that i dont care for zucker. He just did the same last year. i guess marincin responded to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->