Rumor: Marinaro: Philip Danault turned down $5M/6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I mean after his year last year I don't really blame him for thinking he was worth more. Only thing lacking was PP:

upload_2021-2-18_11-54-5.png

Reactions: Prominence

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's a fool for refusing that deal (if the rumors are true).

But as a Habs fan, I'm happy about it. Save Bergevin from himself.

Reactions: Gravity

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I get betting on himself, but in this climate, who in the FA market has a top 2 spot open where it will allow him to flourish and be offered that much on a contract or better?

sometimes one in the hand is better than two in the bush

Ya especially because what’s the upside? Like, you get to free agency and maybe get an extra year? I doubt anyone’s giving a middle 6 center more than $6 million per in Covid times. So you turn down 30 million in the hopes of getting maybe an extra like 10%? You got offered a contract that’s triple your entire career earnings. Just take the win. This is the Duclair situation all over again

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
It has worked out so well for players who've held out for better deals recently. . .

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Any team that signs him to that probably doesn't regret it.

He's one small step in his career from being ROR level and probably takes it given top 6 and PP time.
I'll start by saying I really like Danault and the impact he has on games........BUT..........
Danault is not a small step from ROR. Look at their career numbers
Points per game career: ROR 0.7; PD 0.5
Goals per game career: ROR 0.24; PD 0.14
TOI over the past 5 season: ROR 20:24; PD 17:09
PP TOI over the past 5 years: ROR 2:52; PD 0:51
SH TOI over the past 5 years: ROR 2:07; PD 2:00
Career High goals: ROR 28; PD 13
Career High points: ROR 77; PD 53
Career Seasons with 20 or more goals: ROR 5; PD 0
Career Seasons with 60 or more points: ROR 5; PD 0
Face Off Winning percentage: ROR 57%; PD 54%
Playoff Career points per game: ROR 0.85; PD 0.31
Playoff Career goals per game: ROR 0.31; PD 0.06

Advanced stats are very good for both players and extremely comparable. Danault had better hits/60 and blocked shots/60 but ROR had fewer GiveAways/60 and more TakeAways/60

So I know that stats aren't the be all end all, but these help to show that ROR has had a significantly better impact on games throughout his career than Danault, and that's not a slam on PD, its just simple reality.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I'll start by saying I really like Danault and the impact he has on games........BUT..........
Danault is not a small step from ROR. Look at their career numbers
Points per game career: ROR 0.7; PD 0.5
Goals per game career: ROR 0.24; PD 0.14
TOI over the past 5 season: ROR 20:24; PD 17:09
PP TOI over the past 5 years: ROR 2:52; PD 0:51
SH TOI over the past 5 years: ROR 2:07; PD 2:00
Career High goals: ROR 28; PD 13
Career High points: ROR 77; PD 53
Career Seasons with 20 or more goals: ROR 5; PD 0
Career Seasons with 60 or more points: ROR 5; PD 0
Face Off Winning percentage: ROR 57%; PD 54%
Playoff Career points per game: ROR 0.85; PD 0.31
Playoff Career goals per game: ROR 0.31; PD 0.06

Advanced stats are very good for both players and extremely comparable. Danault had better hits/60 and blocked shots/60 but ROR had fewer GiveAways/60 and more TakeAways/60

So I know that stats aren't the be all end all, but these help to show that ROR has had a significantly better impact on games throughout his career than Danault, and that's not a slam on PD, its just simple reality.

...Danault's offense has come from the deployment of Montreal's top wingers being placed on his line the last few years, Phil himself cannot drive offense...like, at all...Phillip Danault is an Elite #3C, that's what he is...and the quicker he himself comes to grips with it, the better he and the Habs will be...

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Cause they’ve been decent in a weak division
Weak division? Really ? That west division is a power house isn’t it . The central and east have there share of weak teams . Across the board every division has 3-4 decent teams and 3-4 weak ones .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
...Danault's offense has come from the deployment of Montreal's top wingers being placed on his line the last few years, Phil himself cannot drive offense...like, at all...Phillip Danault is an Elite #3C, that's what he is...and the quicker he himself comes to grips with it, the better he and the Habs will be...
I second this . Give him 4.5 x 4-5 years

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
The better question is, “does anyone actually believe what Tony Marinaro says?”
The guy is an absolute loon. He’s the type of guy that will throw 1000 darts at a dart board and only brag about the 1 that hit the bullseye.
Whenever his segment comes on TSN690 I usually turn it off.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So far this year it looks like he will regret the decision. No goals so far, though he has not been bad as far as his faceoffs and his defensive play.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
The better question is, “does anyone actually believe what Tony Marinaro says?”
The guy is an absolute loon. He’s the type of guy that will throw 1000 darts at a dart board and only brag about the 1 that hit the bullseye.
Whenever his segment comes on TSN690 I usually turn it off.
Marinaro is just repeating what the french media reported many weeks ago.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Truth is Philly boy is not a two-way beast. He's a one-way beast defensively with laughable offensive output considering he's had Montreal's "best wingers" his entire career. He's a fantastic 3rd line C. If he can accept that there's a deal to be made.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Truth is Philly boy is not a two-way beast. He's a one-way beast defensively with laughable offensive output considering he's had Montreal's "best wingers" his entire career. He's a fantastic 3rd line C. If he can accept that there's a deal to be made.
Phil and his agent have made a real mistake walking away from that deal.
He has not coped very well with the pressure of a contract year...he will be lucky to get 3.5M-4.0M offers going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad