Marian Hossa

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Super article giving insight on how Hossa approaches the game. What a complete player and silent leader.

"It's always fun when you're scoring goals, but when you come from behind and make some really great steal, for me, that's a great thing to do," Hossa said.

"When I was really young, it was all about offense, and then there was a period of time when I started learning how to play better defensively and be more responsible and stealing the pucks from behind. Now, I enjoy them both."

With one of the deepest rosters in the league, the Hawks are able to overcome the absence of any player, but when that player is Hossa, it's easier said than done. Hossa returned to the lineup in the midst of a seven-game trip that continues Saturday against the Canucks.

Linemate Toews best described what Hossa's presence at both ends brings.

"Just balance," Toews said. "(Patrick) Sharp and I have been doing a good job of keeping the puck alive and playing the corners, and Hossa is always in the right spot. Either he's in the slot or he's on the other side.

"(And) when Sharp and I turn the puck over, Hossa is all over getting the puck right back for us. We're not afraid to make mistakes when Hossa is getting five or six takeaways a night."

Those takeaways have added up to 33 in 20 games this season for Hossa, which ranks second in the league behind the Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk. At 34 and with 1,038 NHL games to his credit, Hossa said, "I'm using my instincts a lot."

Chris Kuc, Chicago Tribune

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I had been keeping up on his takeaway numbers, hoping in vain that if they were obscenely beyond everyone else that just maybe he would have a shot at a Selke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad