Player Discussion Marián Gáborík: End Of The Road

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If he is tired of the whole thing and wants to go back to sunny California .. he may throw in the towel... A fairly severe injury could influence his thinking as well.. Abdominal strain, Hip , Knee, Groin/hamstring like Wideman,,, that would likely be it
So maybe we should play him 30 minutes a game?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So maybe we should play him 30 minutes a game?
Yup double , triple shift him.. PK , PP you name it. But it might be hard to find a place on his body that has not been previously injured (pre-condition) if the intention is to try to get insurance to pay for him.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Yup double , triple shift him.. PK , PP you name it. But it might be hard to find a place on his body that has not been previously injured (pre-condition) if the intention is to try to get insurance to pay for him.
Lol, relax. The intention is not to injury this old man, that’s just cruel. Send him to the AHL and let him play limited minutes there until he decides to go overseas.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
If Gaborik completes his medical, he needs to play to earn his pay check, just like you would need to go to work. Gaborik isn't unable to play because of injury, he's just bad at it and gets injured frequently. This isn't a case of a guy walking away from 10 mil when he could just unofficially LTIRetire, it's a guy that needs to play to get a pay check.

As for specific examples, the best I can come up with is John Urschel, and while NFL contracts aren't guaranteed like NHL deals, he certainly wasn't expected to get cut anytime soon. He just decided he earned enough and valued his health more than more money. Jason Worilds was considered one of the most sought after free agents when he retired, so while he was technically without a contract, he'd have had no issue getting one, and left lots of money on the table.

He technically does not have to play to earn the cheque but simply pass the medical and follow cba rules really. Im not big on comparing a normal persons career to a pro athlete, my point i guess is personally i dont see any indication that he will retire and imo its pretty unprecedented in the league, most players seem to get every cent there owed as they should but maybe im thinking of all the ltir guys. I guess thinking a bit and going on the assumption he wont retire perhaps the trade was made on the idea its easier to hide the regressing ageing winger than the dman....which i would generally agree with.

Guy just missed a wide open cage as i post, i hope he retires after the draft lottery

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He technically does not have to play to earn the cheque but simply pass the medical and follow cba rules really. Im not big on comparing a normal persons career to a pro athlete, my point i guess is personally i dont see any indication that he will retire and imo its pretty unprecedented in the league, most players seem to get every cent there owed as they should but maybe im thinking of all the ltir guys. I guess thinking a bit and going on the assumption he wont retire perhaps the trade was made on the idea its easier to hide the regressing ageing winger than the dman....which i would generally agree with.

Guy just missed a wide open cage as i post, i hope he retires after the draft lottery

Ok, let me re-phase, he doesn't have to play, he just has to be willing to play if healthy and the coach dresses him. He can't exactly refuse to play if he passes the medical. Anyways, the overall point is if he isn't enjoying himself, he's not really going to see a difference in his quality of life or financial security should he opt to retire now instead of three years from now. If he continues to play, it's because he want's to play not because he doesn't want to forgo the money.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ok, let me re-phase, he doesn't have to play, he just has to be willing to play if healthy and the coach dresses him. He can't exactly refuse to play if he passes the medical. Anyways, the overall point is if he isn't enjoying himself, he's not really going to see a difference in his quality of life or financial security should he opt to retire now instead of three years from now. If he continues to play, it's because he want's to play not because he doesn't want to forgo the money.

Dont disagree with what your saying outside of i believe even if he wasnt enjoying it and is super rich that he wouldnt leave money on the table, dont know him personally making my assessment on my view of general human nature and the scarcity of the scenario playing out in pro sports, if there has been any behind the scenes indication he will retire....LA did us a major solid.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dont disagree with what your saying outside of i believe even if he wasnt enjoying it and is super rich that he wouldnt leave money on the table, dont know him personally making my assessment on my view of general human nature and the scarcity of the scenario playing out in pro sports, if there has been any behind the scenes indication he will retire....LA did us a major solid.
to be fair, if there hasn't been any behind the scenes indication he will retire....we did LA us a major solid

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This trade doesn't make sense finally.

I thought Nick Shore could be a quality 4th line C or at worse get better value in a trade but a 7th?

So basically, they dumped Phaneuf and Thompson salaries BUT got back a "worse contract" of a player that is closer to be done and they had to retain on Phaneuf as well. Without retention, that'd be fine but the retention makes it very underwhelming.

In the end, Sens might save just around 5 M$ in 3 years but Phaneuf could have been useful on the 3rd pairing and 2nd PP. If it was getting hard for him to be a Top-4 D-man, then shelter him a bit on the 3rd pair.

In 2011, GM BM was dumping salary WITHOUT getting any salary back and was actually getting meaningful assets.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
i say give him a chance. he’s been injured the past three seasons and has been trying his best to get over the hump. he needs a renaissance year 35-40+pts given top 9 minutes with good players.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Been loving his play to be honest. He was quite good early on tonight, darting to and fro and creating chances. Tailed off a bit mid-game but would love to keep him around to mentor Hoff and the kids. Solid guy for sure.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If the Sens will be re-visiting Karlsson trade scenarios at the draft it might not be a bad idea to insist on including Gáborík as the salary dump component instead of Bobby Ryan. Ryan is surely overpaid, but he is still capable of being a contributor on some nights - Gáborík is not and it's only going to get worse from here.

Melnyk doesn't save as much money in this scenario, but it's probably better for the team - they still clear a substantial salary (11M) and it probably doesn't hurt your return as much as forcing a team to take a7.5M cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->