Marek Viedensky

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I see that often, he's 20. He started in the WHL 3 years ago. Where are the other players that where there?

Every year he has increased his point production. Safest reply I think is time will tell especially for me. I am to far to go see him play.

Any San Jose draft pick should be a definite watch.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very complete player. Sees the ice well. Is a big body. Skates very well. Plays both ends of the rink. Don't think he will ever be a top 6 NHLer, but his skill set would make a nice 3rd line center. If a team thinks his overall speed might hurt him, he could also do well as a RWer at the next level.

Sharks have an underrated prospect with him.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Last game he was 1+1 and first star of the game while Saskatoon Blades defeated Edmonton Oil Kings 4:3. Currently he's 22+33 in 42 games what rank him at 18 among Top scorers in WHL.

I found some Blades' videos from January:

Do you think he's got a chance to play some games for Sharks next season?

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Very complete player. Sees the ice well. Is a big body. Skates very well. Plays both ends of the rink. Don't think he will ever be a top 6 NHLer, but his skill set would make a nice 3rd line center. If a team thinks his overall speed might hurt him, he could also do well as a RWer at the next level.

Sharks have an underrated prospect with him.

It looks like a description of young Michal Handzus. :) It's great to see that.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think he'll need at least a year in the AHL. I was hoping that he would have been playing in Worcester this season, but I don't know what happened with that. Did he not make the team or was it injury problems?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think he'll need at least a year in the AHL. I was hoping that he would have been playing in Worcester this season, but I don't know what happened with that. Did he not make the team or was it injury problems?

He just didn't make the team, or the Sharks felt he was needing another year in junior.

Either way, Saskatoon will take it. I said it near the start of the year and I still think it's true now....Viedensky should have been in the AHL this year.

He is bigger and stronger than most of the other players in the league and I don't know how much this is helping his development. Obviously it will help his confidence putting up big offensive numbers, but I still think he would serve a better purpose in the AHL.

As for an above post, I do think that Handzus is a great comparison.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Ive heard comparisons with Hanzal aswell.

If he turned into a more offensive Hanzal i will be satisfied thats for sure.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Ive heard comparisons with Hanzal aswell.

If he turned into a more offensive Hanzal i will be satisfied thats for sure.

If we get a lesser Hanzal I will be thrilled. Hanzal is the perfect third line center. I do really really like Viedensky though and am hoping for the Hanzal/Handzus comparison to become true.

Nice to see positive comments from others however.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Viedensky won't be Hanzal. Hanzal is one of the best defensive forwards in the league at a very young age.

They are both Euro's and are both big centers, but the two aren't really all that similar. Handzus is also known as being more defensive in general but he isn't quite the same calibre as Hanzal.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Viedensky won't be Hanzal. Hanzal is one of the best defensive forwards in the league at a very young age.

They are both Euro's and are both big centers, but the two aren't really all that similar. Handzus is also known as being more defensive in general but he isn't quite the same calibre as Hanzal.

Yeah Hanzal may be a bit of a reach, but his +35 rating really excites me.

A more offensive Handzus would satisfy me aswell.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah Hanzal may be a bit of a reach, but his +35 rating really excites me.

A more offensive Handzus would satisfy me aswell.

Yeah, but look at the WHL leaders in +/-. Last I checked the Blades had 4-5-6 guys in the top 10.

You can't base Viedensky's defensive worth off of a plus/minus rating.

He's ok defensively, and is VERY strong on his stick and doesn't get knocked around physically...but he is one of the oldest guys in the league.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Yeah, but look at the WHL leaders in +/-. Last I checked the Blades had 4-5-6 guys in the top 10.

You can't base Viedensky's defensive worth off of a plus/minus rating.

He's ok defensively, and is VERY strong on his stick and doesn't get knocked around physically...but he is one of the oldest guys in the league.

I was not trying to use his +/- rating as the only way of determining his defensive ability. I just thought it was quite impressive. I should have probably worded it differently.

Ever since his draft year he was regarded as a good defensive player. That's really what excites me about his two-way potential.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
I was not trying to use his +/- rating as the only way of determining his defensive ability. I just thought it was quite impressive. I should have probably worded it differently.

Ever since his draft year he was regarded as a good defensive player. That's really what excites me about his two-way potential.

And not just a good defensive player, but he's got some skiiiils. It's a year old, but doesn't matter. :)

Marek Viedensky (Saskatoon Blades): excellent shoot out

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
His ability to school guys with his long, effortless stickhandling reminds me of a lesser Viktor Kozlov. He's going to be a more complete player with a better work ethic, but I don't think he'll ever be a 70-point guy. 50, though, I could see.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Latest San Jose Sharks prospect report:
http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/ext/SHARKS/TEAM/02-03-11 Prospect Report.pdf

Marek Viedenský: GP:46 (G+A)=PTS:24+36=60 +/-: +35

NOTES: Named assistant captain for the 2010-11 season…His eight game-winning goals are third in the League…Tied for fifteenth in the League in points…Second on the team in points, fourth in assists and tied for second in goals…His +35 rating is fourth in the WHL and third on the team…Tied for fifth in WHL in short handed goals…23 points (10-13=23) in his last 15 games…Had a goal, an assist and First Star Jan. 26 vs. Edmonton…Two goals, one assist and First Star Jan. 22 vs. Calgary…Scored game-winning goal and two assists for Third Star Jan. 4 vs. Calgary…Goal and two assists with First Star honors Jan. 1 vs. Red Deer…Had a goal and three assists while being named Second Star Nov. 12 vs. Portland…Recorded two assists, a +3 rating and was named Second Star Oct. 31 vs. Calgary…Scored two goals, including the game-winner, Oct. 23 vs. Medicine Hat and was named First Star…Tallied a goal, two assists, a +2 rating and was named First Star Oct. 2 vs. Regina…Recorded two goals, an assist, two PIMs and was named First Star Sept. 25 vs. Prince Albert

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Guy's playing great hockey right now.

He's a bit streaky, which is weird because he always seems to be one of the hardest working players on the ice.

2 goals last night, including the game winner....that follows up a 3 assists, +3 performance from Friday night.

I still like a Handzus comparison for this guy. Sharks could have a very good 2-way center for their 3rd or 4th line as early as 2012-2013.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
there are always overagers that play well in the W and then never amount to anything as a pro.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
there are always overagers that play well in the W and then never amount to anything as a pro.

Yeah, but very often those are smaller, pure offensive guys.

I've seen Viedensky live over 40 times this year alone and I think his game translates pretty well to a pro game.

He's a very big guy that skates well, thinks the game well and has good defensive instincts.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Another great game for Marek last night with a goal. His 35th of the year. Now has a 9 game point streak. My top candidate for Blades MVP this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad