Marek Schwarz wins CHL weekly honour

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
Gee, I thought all you folks decided he was a "bust" already.

--
Raiders forward Colliton, Giants goalie Schwarz win CHL weekly awards

December 8, 2004

TORONTO (CP) - Prince Albert Raiders forward Jeremy Colliton was named the Canadian Hockey League's player of the week Wednesday while Marek Schwarz of the Vancouver Giants earned the goaltending award.

Colliton, a 19-year-old from Blackie, Alta., opened the week with the a goal and three assists in a 5-2 win over the Spokane Chiefs. He then recorded a goal and two assists in a 6-4 win over the Regina Pats before completing the week with an assist in a 5-1 win over the Moose Jaw Warriors.

--

Poor Blues fans. Yeah, this kid will never amount to anything.

Schwarz posted a 2-0-1 record with a 1.33 goals-against average and .942 save percentage last week. He started the week with a 20-save performance in a 3-0 win over the Calgary Hitmen. He then made 19 saves in a 3-2 win over the Kamloops Blazers and capped the week with 30 saves in a 2-2 tie with the Kelowna Rockets.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
CorneliusBennet said:

--

December 8, 2004

TORONTO (CP) - Prince Albert Raiders forward Jeremy Colliton was named the Canadian Hockey League's player of the week Wednesday while Marek Schwarz of the Vancouver Giants earned the goaltending award.

Colliton, a 19-year-old from Blackie, Alta., opened the week with the a goal and three assists in a 5-2 win over the Spokane Chiefs. He then recorded a goal and two assists in a 6-4 win over the Regina Pats before completing the week with an assist in a 5-1 win over the Moose Jaw Warriors.

--

Schwarz posted a 2-0-1 record with a 1.33 goals-against average and .942 save percentage last week. He started the week with a 20-save performance in a 3-0 win over the Calgary Hitmen. He then made 19 saves in a 3-2 win over the Kamloops Blazers and capped the week with 30 saves in a 2-2 tie with the Kelowna Rockets.

When did we ever call him a bust. He was the best netminder available in this years draft.

leafaholix*

I wasn't one that said he was a bust, in fact he's one of my favourite goaltending prospects... I thought he should have gone ahead of Montoya and Dubnyk.

But 3 games isn't enough to change anyones POV if they think he's a bust.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sorry but Motoya is better then him....that many GMS dont pass him up for nothing..and i think I trust THERE scouting more then the guys on the board. lol

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
CorneliusBennet said:

--

December 8, 2004

--

I think the guy is gonna be a solid goalie for years to come...but your basing your "counter-argument" to those who called him a bust on 3 games...probably a bit extreme.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
apparently the sarcasm and irony (yes, I was intentionally being ironic by pointing to a weeks worth of games to refute a claim by one poster who based his assertions on... what, a week or so of games?) This is just rich. I love this board.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Sorry but Motoya is better then him....that many GMS dont pass him up for nothing..and i think I trust THERE scouting more then the guys on the board. lol

How much of Schwarz have you seen play, firsthand? Have you EVER seen him play? Ever?

leafaholix*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
I saw Marek Schwarz play 3 times during last years WJC, talent-wise and potential-wise, the only goaltending prospects that are as good as him (maybe better) are Lehtonen and maybe Fleury.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
I saw Marek Schwarz play 3 times during last years WJC, talent-wise and potential-wise, the only goaltending prospects that are as good as him (maybe better) are Lehtonen and maybe Fleury.

His reflexes are second to none, but he's going to have to refine his approach if he's going to be anything of note at the next level.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
His reflexes are second to none, but he's going to have to refine his approach if he's going to be anything of note at the next level.
Agree... but same can be said about every goaltendin... except maybe 1, Kari Lehtonen.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
CorneliusBennet said:

--

December 8, 2004

--

Great to hear, I also remembere that thread where people were ripping him. :handclap:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Chaos said:
I think the guy is gonna be a solid goalie for years to come...but your basing your "counter-argument" to those who called him a bust on 3 games...probably a bit extreme.
No more extreme than calling him a bust after playing only a small part of one year in the WHL.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
This is his first taste of North American hockey the game is different and he hass to adjust to a new culture as well, He may be great he may be a bust who knows just give the kid time. It is far to early to tell about any of the goalies drafted in the 1st round last year.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

they said the same thing about Hasek... he didn't need to 'refine his approach' in order to be the best goalie of the last 10 years. I'm not saying Schwarz will reach that level but a blanket statement about him "needing" to "regine his approach" is premature, offbase and, frankly, I'd really only believe it coming from an NHL level goaltending coach, not a fan on a forum. And even then I'd have my doubts. It would be ideal for him to combine his allegedly amazing reflexes with solid technique but the guy is young, it's his first year in N.America, he has language issues, a smaller rink to adjust to, etc. Give the guy a flippin' break for crying out loud...

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
CorneliusBennet said:
they said the same thing about Hasek... he didn't need to 'refine his approach' in order to be the best goalie of the last 10 years. I'm not saying Schwarz will reach that level but a blanket statement about him "needing" to "regine his approach" is premature, offbase and, frankly, I'd really only believe it coming from an NHL level goaltending coach, not a fan on a forum. And even then I'd have my doubts. It would be ideal for him to combine his allegedly amazing reflexes with solid technique but the guy is young, it's his first year in N.America, he has language issues, a smaller rink to adjust to, etc. Give the guy a flippin' break for crying out loud...
ditto

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
CorneliusBennet said:
they said the same thing about Hasek... he didn't need to 'refine his approach' in order to be the best goalie of the last 10 years.

Ok, I'm as big a hasek fan as the next guy, but he was NOT the best goalie of the last 10 years. At best, he was number 2. Also playing during that decade were Patrick Roy(quite possibly the best goalie of all time) and Martin Broduer(the best goalie SINCE Roy started playing)). Those 2 are in a class of their own. Hasek is/was a (Darn) good goalie, but he doesn't compare to those 2.

Reilly311

kimzey59 said:
Ok, I'm as big a hasek fan as the next guy, but he was NOT the best goalie of the last 10 years. At best, he was number 2. Also playing during that decade were Patrick Roy(quite possibly the best goalie of all time) and Martin Broduer(the best goalie SINCE Roy started playing)). Those 2 are in a class of their own. Hasek is/was a (Darn) good goalie, but he doesn't compare to those 2.

lets see...olympics gold, two MVP's (which no other goalie has ever done), a stanley cup, and 6 vezinas (He should have won 7 and could have won 8 if it weren't for his injury).

:bow:

Golbez

kimzey59 said:
http://members.shaw.ca/hbtn/player_study/goaltender_rating.htm

You ought to read this...Hasek is far and away above Roy that it's not even funny.

As for Schwarz/Hasek - Hasek's style is unorthodox, but it is noticably different than Schwarz'. Schwarz comes too far out of his net to make the first save that he has been exposed to many second-chance goals. Schwarz is not a flopper (on a side note, Hasek's flopping was well controlled and he was rarely out of a play).
Right now, Schwarz is a reflexive goalie with rather poor fundamentals... Bill Ranford is working with Marek to get him to calm down, stay back, etc etc... I've noticed some improvements from the start of the season until now. With his athleticism, Marek can be a star goalie if he gets the right training.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Golbez said:
Schwarz is a reflexive goalie with rather poor fundamentals... Bill Ranford is working with Marek to get him to calm down, stay back, etc etc... I've noticed some improvements from the start of the season until now. With his athleticism, Marek can be a star goalie if he gets the right training.

I completely agree, and I think this is what most posters have been saying about Marek. His positioning is awful, he looks small in the net, and honestly he's cost the Giants more games then he's won them. But it's obvious he has great reflexes and with some refinement to the teachable parts of the game he may become a very good goalie.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
jin said:
I completely agree, and I think this is what most posters have been saying about Marek. His positioning is awful, he looks small in the net, and honestly he's cost the Giants more games then he's won them. But it's obvious he has great reflexes and with some refinement to the teachable parts of the game he may become a very good goalie.

Yeah I pretty much agree with that - and I think a lot of scouts also think this way which is why the guy dropped in the draft. It's not like he doesn't have talent - it's just that he has a lot of flaws in his game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad