Marek Schwarz by the numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

Reveille said:
Even the WHL stat system must have a bias against Blues prospects! Probably God does as well! Hell, my grandma hates Blues prospects, too even if she's never watched a game!

BIAS BIAS BIAS!!!!!

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I have no clue what HFBoards.com would do without your quality contributions. Keep 'em coming!

:lol

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Stich said:
Feel free to go back and show me where I made an excuse for Schwarz's numbers. The only thing I have said about them is that they're not surprising given the fact that it was and still is rather well known that his fundamentals need work.

Which is why he dropped in the draft and was clearly not considered a better prospect than Montoya or Dubnyk. Hell the rumour out there was that St Louis was going to take Dubnyk if he was available.

LOOKING like a great goalie is different than BEING a great goalie - and until he fixes his fundementals Schwarz will continue to look good while fishing pucks out of the back of the net.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
BlueBleeder said:
Have to keep in mind this is Dubynk's 4th year in the WHL.

Schwarz will probably need time to adept, and if he is getting overworked and hung out to dry it won't help.

Can you explain to me how this is Dubnyk's 4th season in the WHL??

and Carey Price in Tri Cities, is a 17 yr old with close to the same minutes played, better numbers and playing on a crappy team. So don't come with the overworked, hung out to dry comment!

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Schwarz does have some good technical skills, one of the fastest gloves, very agile, he can be taught positioning. Maybe he's not strong mentally, that could be a problem, but could also be sorted out with a good goalie coach. The Blues now have a good scouting staff and their picks should be looked at that way, their scouting staff knows more than we do.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Reign Nateo said:
There is no denying it, Schwartz hasn't been the goalie that he Giants hoped so far. They are struggling on the whole, but Marek needs to be better, and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you. However there are a lot of intangibles to consider first before you label him a bust, new culture and all...

I would say from what I have seen his positioning is the problem (at least from highlights) seems he's always got to dive across the net. I have only watched one game live, and Schwartz struggled. I don't know who the Giants have as a goalie coach, but someone has to teach this kid some positioning. Fast and agile, but needs to make himself bigger and have to move less.

I agree with Levitate that you make a strong point here. I'm no goalie prospect expert but from watching Mika Noronen as a rookie in Rochester and Kari Lehtonen last year in preseason there's at least evidence to support that these young, uber-talented goalies tend to have somewhat questionable positioning fundamentals when they come over to NA. It's like they're just getting by on pure skill alone. The jury's still out on Noronen though his positioning is far improved. Lehtonen's not just a reflex goalie anymore. Schwarz can easily adapt.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
HabLover said:
That comment shows me you know absolutely nothing about the game of hockey and math for that matter!!

How come? Let's say a goalie let's in an average of 2 goals per game. If he faces 35 shots, that's a save percentage of .943. If he faces 20 shots a game, that's a save percentage of .900.

Quite an easy illustration of how more shots can give you a higher save percentage. So is my math wrong or do I know nothing about hockey?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Ruckus007 said:
these young, uber-talented goalies tend to have somewhat questionable positioning fundamentals when they come over to NA. It's like they're just getting by on pure skill alone.

I'd like to think it's mainly because of the questionable rink size and questionable decisions the forwards make with the puck.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stich said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say that I have no clue what HFBoards.com would do without your quality contributions. Keep 'em coming!

:lol

You're the biggest homer here and get offended when someone, God forbid, even thinks that a Blues prospect isn't something awesome. You are a joke. Please hit the x in the upper right corner and forget the URL here.

Seriously.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Flames Draft Watcher said:
How come? Let's say a goalie let's in an average of 2 goals per game. If he faces 35 shots, that's a save percentage of .943. If he faces 20 shots a game, that's a save percentage of .900.

Quite an easy illustration of how more shots can give you a higher save percentage. So is my math wrong or do I know nothing about hockey?
The problem is that the goaltender will likely give up more than 2 goals a game if he faces 35 shots/game rather than 20. Are these 15 shots you hypothetically suggest automatically going to be saved? More shots do give you a higher save percentage but only if you save those shots.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Oh man, not a save percentage vs. shots allowed debate. This thread will last 15 posts tops before it turns into Luongo vs. Brodeur, Panthers homers vs. Devils homers.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
^haha, agree

Let's get back to Schwarz. His play has been subpar, and say what you want, he has been overworked. Only a fool would deny that. He just finished playing all 3 games of a back to back to back weekend. As evidence of fatigue: at the start of the year, he was making ridiculous saves and lots of big saves, but of late he has been unable to make any big saves at all. HE IS TIRED. However, this is not the only reason for his poor numbers. He has struggled adjusting to his new reference points in the narrower North American rink and his positioning has suffered, and he goes down too much and relies too much on pure reflex saves (which he hasn't been able to make lately, presumably because he's too tired).

Giants just picked up a backup goalie from AJHL that used to play for Red Deer, Adam Jennings. Hopefully Hay will have more confidence in him and play him once in a while to rest Schwarz.

As the season goes on, I think it's safe to say Schwarz's numbers will improve.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Tired??????????? Give me a break, most number 1 guys play a whack of games at this level. Guard played game after game last year, as will Nastiuk etc this year. Why all the excuses, he has played poorly and underchieved so far. Man, I bet him and Hay would be the first to admit it.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Schwarz has played EVERY SINGLE GAME, including 3 nights in a row twice. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not denying he's underachieved, read my post again. His positioning is poor, he leaves the top half of the net open too often, and he relies too much on pure reactions. There is no denying, however, that his play has steadily deteriorated over the course of the season, and I have to believe fatigue is a part of that. The only point I was really making is that I expect him to improve.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
letterH said:
Tired??????????? Give me a break, most number 1 guys play a whack of games at this level. Guard played game after game last year, as will Nastiuk etc this year. Why all the excuses, he has played poorly and underchieved so far. Man, I bet him and Hay would be the first to admit it.
That's a lot of games for a North American goaltender, for a European that's a ****load. He'll gain endurance over the years as he gets used to more games.

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
letterH said:

Perhaps the fact that he is new to playing so many games could make a big difference? He played a total of 23 games in the 2003-2004 season excluding the WJC's. He does have to make that adjustment. At this point i'm not going to rag on him all that much for his poor play. However if he continues to play this way later in the season and especially if it continues next season I think it would be a cause for concern.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Being tired could be a small part of it. But you cannot blame his stats on that alone.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
letterH said:

All I know is the stats, those say that Marek has played 325 minutes (5.4 games) more than Nastiuk, 218 minutes (3.6 games) more than Price, and 246 minutes (4.1 games) more than Dubnyk. Plus it looks like he's already played more minutes this year with the Giants (1343) than he did last year in the Czech league (the whole year) http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_id=4788&hubName=STL.

I dont really know (since I cant watch the Giants :mad: ) but if you add these minute factors (huge workload which it doesent look like he is used to) to the culture/ice size problems and it looks like his poor performance might be due to outside factors more than lack of ability.

I agree with other posters who have written that its too early to tell, give him time to adapt to NA and maybe rest a little and we might see a diffrent Schwarz.

( :eek: 7 shutouts already for Nastiuk? Oh, and I had started this post before others replied.)

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
HabLover said:
Can you explain to me how this is Dubnyk's 4th season in the WHL??

and Carey Price in Tri Cities, is a 17 yr old with close to the same minutes played, better numbers and playing on a crappy team. So don't come with the overworked, hung out to dry comment!

Devan Dubnyk

19GP 6W 11L 2T 2.35GAA .918SV%

Carey Price

19GP 8W 8L 3T 2.72GAA .913SV%

And as has been pointed out, this is Dubnyk's fourth season in the 'Dub.

Maybe you should just stick to the Habs boards and do some homework before commenting on other teams' prospects. :dunno:

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Boondock Saint said:
Devan Dubnyk

19GP 6W 11L 2T 2.35GAA .918SV%

Carey Price

19GP 8W 8L 3T 2.72GAA .913SV%

And as has been pointed out, this is Dubnyk's fourth season in the 'Dub.

Maybe you should just stick to the Habs boards and do some homework before commenting on other teams' prospects. :dunno:
He was referring to Mr. Schwarz when mentioning the numbers. ;)

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Oiltalk said:
He was referring to Mr. Schwarz when mentioning the numbers. ;)

Well, shame on me.

I assumed that with the first comment about Dubnyk, he was also the goalie referred to in the second part of the post. :dunno:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Greg7 said:
Schwarz has played EVERY SINGLE GAME, including 3 nights in a row twice. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not denying he's underachieved, read my post again. His positioning is poor, he leaves the top half of the net open too often, and he relies too much on pure reactions. There is no denying, however, that his play has steadily deteriorated over the course of the season, and I have to believe fatigue is a part of that. The only point I was really making is that I expect him to improve.

Isn't Schwarz like 18 or 19?? I could see if he was in his early 50's then you could use the fatigue factor as an excuse, but c'mon, the guy is young and should be full of piss and vinegar!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad