Recalled/Assigned: Marek Hrivik

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just not sure what you guys are seeing with him..he does nothing out there for me. Not good on offense, not that special on defense...pretty useless IMO.

What does he bring to the table that makes him an NHL player deserving to play over others?

He works hard, hustles, is defensively responsible and will eventually chip in a few points. He's a smart player who will grind it out. Jooris didn't bring it every night and Puempel doesn't do anything other than skate. Hrivik's the type of guy whose contribution will never be negative. Always neutral or positive, which for a guy in the fourth line is just fine.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
you need guys who can grind the other team down low, play a 2 way game, and generate some offense. hes been a terrific 4th liner. nothing more. unfortunately for him the moment Buchnevich/Zibanejad come back, he's gotta be the first one out (and Puempel on waivers) to get those in...Lindbergs been VERY good.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He works hard, hustles, is defensively responsible and will eventually chip in a few points. He's a smart player who will grind it out. Jooris didn't bring it every night and Puempel doesn't do anything other than skate. Hrivik's the type of guy whose contribution will never be negative. Always neutral or positive, which for a guy in the fourth line is just fine.

I mean I agree I guess he doesn't hurt the team, but I just don't see him bringing much. He hustles but all 4th liners do, they have to because they normally don't bring much else. Fast and Lindberg chip in a bit on offense, can play a little physical and help the PK, Pirri brings offense, hell even Glass brought more than just hustle and would hit everything (though he hurt the team half the time with is play, and because of that I would never want him back).

I agree Puempel hasn't shown me much of anything either and I don't see him lasting very long.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

The biggest disappointment of Jooris to me was the fact that he didn't bring it all the time. Can't be a player like him and take shifts/games off.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I mean I agree I guess he doesn't hurt the team, but I just don't see him bringing much. He hustles but all 4th liners do, they have to because they normally don't bring much else. Fast and Lindberg chip in a bit on offense, can play a little physical and help the PK, Pirri brings offense, hell even Glass brought more than just hustle and would hit everything (though he hurt the team half the time with is play, and because of that I would never want him back).
Granted it's a small sample size but when Hrivik is on the ice, he and his linemates spend most of the time in the opponents end. Something that Glass could never do. So he's doing a lot more than just playing hard.

I'd argue that Pirri might be the odd man out if he doesn't pick his game up, granted not permanently but at least rotated in and out.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The biggest disappointment of Jooris to me was the fact that he didn't bring it all the time. Can't be a player like him and take shifts/games off.

thats my problem with Puempel too. He looks good here and there..but there are so many times he's close to winning a puck race...figures he cant...and stops skating. hes so frikkin lazy.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
For me, Hrivik's had a really good stint with us. He's not here to bring offensive flare or point production. That's not his role, so everyone who's so down on him is expecting a little too much.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Granted it's a small sample size but when Hrivik is on the ice, he and his linemates spend most of the time in the opponents end. Something that Glass could never do. So he's doing a lot more than just playing hard.

I'd argue that Pirri might be the odd man out if he doesn't pick his game up, granted not permanently but at least rotated in and out.

Hey people need to realize the team isn't going to rack up 5 with Zibby and Buch out long term.

The team needed to defended, and make responsible plays.

The other line-ups were trading chances. Which without the firepower..... you've got that stretch of "digustingly low-corsi" hockey in the middle of games.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
thats my problem with Puempel too. He looks good here and there..but there are so many times he's close to winning a puck race...figures he cant...and stops skating. hes so frikkin lazy.

Book on him is low battle level.

He doesn't engage physically to win the puck battle, it's either nimble in or out.

That works when you have Hagelin speed, but Puempel doesn't.

In junior he was a little red rocket, but that speed difference is mildly advantageous at the NHL level with his wheels.

What you'd hope with him is that he becomes a guy that learns a two way game like Grabner... but I don't think that 6th gear is there with Matt. More like a 4.5 gear that aims to Pop-A-U when he's going to pay a physical price.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
In regards to this article - https://www.nysportsday.com/2016/12/22/treff-what-to-do-about-marek-hrivik/ - I now see that Hrivik (he is in tonight - no?) is gonna have to go through waivers if/when we send him down. If we lose him there (too) that would be quite a waste IMO

There's the possibility he sticks as a spare when everyone's healthy.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buch
Vesey - Step - Nash
Zucc - Hayes - Miller
Grabner - Lindberg/Pirri - Fast

Spares - Pirri/Lindberg, Hrivik

Waive Puempel if he has to go through waivers. Plus plenty of injuries may happen between now and then. I'm not too concerned about him being claimed anyway. I like what he brings but I don't think too many teams are lining up to claim a 25 year old player that has 2 points in 15 career NHL games.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yeah I like Hrivik but seeing him at C the past few games, I realize that he is a much better W and can utilize his strengths there better. He's not a great distributor of the puck and his offensive instincts aren't the best.

He's a very effective board battler though.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Hrivik looks more like a plummer at the NHL level, which isn't a bad thing, but in today's NHL you can only have 1, maybe 2, guys like that on the entire roster. Im not sure he is physical enough to hang onto a roster spot once the Rangers get healthy.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hrivik looks more like a plummer at the NHL level, which isn't a bad thing, but in today's NHL you can only have 1, maybe 2, guys like that on the entire roster. Im not sure he is physical enough to hang onto a roster spot once the Rangers get healthy.

What's a plummer?

Yeah I like Hrivik but seeing him at C the past few games, I realize that he is a much better W and can utilize his strengths there better. He's not a great distributor of the puck and his offensive instincts aren't the best.

He's a very effective board battler though.

Kenny G used/abused him as a center for two years now. It's a disaster. He's much better as a winger. He'd have been in the NHL long ago had he not wasted time learning to play C.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Its fairly obvious he will be the first sent back to HFD once the team is healthy.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Really nice patience on the play last night on Puempel hat trick goal where he intercepted the Arizona pass, waited for the zone to clear, walked the puck in and made the pass to Pirri.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Really nice patience on the play last night on Puempel hat trick goal where he intercepted the Arizona pass, waited for the zone to clear, walked the puck in and made the pass to Pirri.

Probably was his first worry free shift. Smart positioning and nifty saucer.

Tanner Glass never did anything like that once as a Ranger. Uncle Larry would have gotten better hits by bringing up McIlrath after the Eakins hit.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
His name sounds way too villainous to become a regular NHLer. If I were to change it, I'd try something like Sidney Crosby for a better chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->