Marcus Johansson

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Bozle, Mar 7, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Bozle

Bozle Showtime, baby

I've been following this kid closely this season, and I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with his play. His fluent skating and excellent defense really stand out to me, especially for a 20 year old.

My question is, what do you think his ceiling is? He reminds me a bit of Stephen Weiss. A very good #2 center.

2. brs03

brs03 Coo coo ca cha!

As a Caps fan I think it seems like we have seen the tools to be a really effective offensive player. He's made passes that only Backstrom could make (on the Caps, obviously), and he's got a shot that looks quick and decently accurate.

With the right growth in terms of physical durability and mental preparedness no reason he can't grow into a high end #2 C (at least total package; average/above average offense with above average+ defense).

Fingers crossed, naturally.

3. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    He impresses me a lot everytime I watch. No real downside to his game...great two way player still with offensive upside. Maybe big things in store, can't see why not

4. sg58

sg58 Registered User

He's got a lot of tools and just like Backstrom, his calmness and defensive game improves by the week.

He'd be a lot better if he could shoot better, though. But his speed and responsible play will make him a #2 center for the Caps for years to come if they want to.

5. Bonzai

Bonzai Registered User

Offensively he's been handicapped by the lines he's been playing on. If Backstrom is due to miss time after his (re)injury tonight, I think we'll see his production go up. He's extremely smooth with the puck.

His defensive play has been excellent. Just has to get better at the dot.

6. ed bruin

ed bruin Registered User

im serious about this is the pronunciation of Marcus Johansson (YO-hansson) or (JO-hannson)?

7. Bozle

Bozle Showtime, baby

YO-HahnS-un

8. sg58

sg58 Registered User

"Ju" as in juice, han as in "hunt" and son as in "zombie" with an N.

That's in Swedish, though, so it's only us Swedes and Pierre McGuire who cares.

9. ed bruin

ed bruin Registered User

thanks man, but after watching todays game I really like his game. Hes a solid in all phases and doesn't make many rookie mistakes. He could be a really solid second line center around 60-70 points a season

10. TheFountainhead

TheFountainhead Red Nation

The fans in D.C. love him. The only real question that remains imo is how high an offensive ceiling he has. He skates extremely well, he has loads of hockey IQ, and he is very defensively responsible. He certainly looks like a very solid late first round pick.

Off topic a little bit, but assuming Kuznetsov stays at center for the Caps (and comes over), you could be looking at a Backstrom-Kuznetsov-Johansson troika down the middle for the Caps in a couple of seasons. A pretty exciting prospect for Washington fans.

11. QuadrupleDeke

QuadrupleDeke 33% more deke

Or even if Kuznetsov moves to wing, you could have Backstrom-Johansson-Eakin, with no shortage of talent on their wings. It's an exciting time to be a Caps fan, that's for sure.

12. Drake1588

Drake1588 UNATCO

Fans are excited. That skating stride is just top drawer, and his passing already on a nice level. The only question seems to be how soon he will be able to put it all together. Going with him at #2 center this season appeared to be premature. By some point towards the middle of next season, that might not be a bad fit. Very good two-way player already.

Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov, Eakin should give the team plenty of options within the next 2-3 years. McPhee has shown a tendency to keep those guys rather than trade them, so one will probably see a shift to wing.

13. Hybbe

Hybbe Registered User

With the risk of coming off as Mr. Smartypants, it's actually a soft "J" sound, as in "Yohansson". We don't have english "J" sounds in swedish.

14. joe89

joe89 #5

Yep, really impressed with his rookie season. Numbers are not stunning but he looks comfortable out there and his defensive game is already very good. Josefson is also looking great defensively and is noticable but hasn't gotten the offense going just yet, will be interesting to see which one of them that will become the better offensive player.

15. Sredna

Sredna Registered User

You can find the right pronunciation here: http://sv.forvo.com/search-sv/johansson/

16. usiel

usiel Aegrescit medendo Sponsor

musician/ts
    Home Page:
    Just witnessing the postivedevelopment arc over the course of the season caps fans are very happy. Being 20 he hasn't put it all together yet and needs to get stronger upper body wise. He does have a real strong base that allows him to compensate in the corners.

Ultimately, IMO he'll be a 2nd line center.

17. MCI Center

MCI Center Registered User

His first stride is really as impressive as advertised. I've noticed he's started taking more chances with the puck as the season's gone on, I'm thinking he'll have a couple of really nice, highlight reel goals in the next couple of years with some of his quick moves and dekes.

Might have upside somewhere between Detroit's Zetterberg and Filppula, probably closer to Filppula with the great 2-way play of Henrik.

18. HockeyGuy1975

HockeyGuy1975 Registered User

I watch a ton of Caps games since I'm in the DC area and I would reiterate most of the comments here.

However, the one flaw I see in his game is his inability to finish. He has all the tools, but he often fumbles the puck when he approaches the net. Maybe this is lack of confidence to finish, but I don't know whether he has ever been much of a goalscorer.

19. cupface52

cupface52 Registered User

Apparently the wings had Johansson targeted at 29, traded down once he was picked by the caps.

Smaller but faster/quicker Mikko Koivu is his upside imo. Could play as a top line center, but is best suited to the 2nd line, focusing on 2-way play.

20. MCI Center

MCI Center Registered User

Started off the season with 13 points in his first 48 games, being sheltered by Boudreau and the rest of the coaching staff as Perreault got his chance at #2/3 C, Johansson's been playing great recently with 4 goals 7 assists (11 pts) in his last 15 games (67 point pace.)

To be fair, that's due in large part to increased ice time as a result of Backstrom's recent injury but, MoJo is starting to look every bit like the potential top-end #2 center he was billed to be.

I'd kind of assumed that from everything I'd heard about his game that he would be a pretty safe pick to at least be a speedy, defensively-respondible #2/3 tweener that every once in a while could showcase more high-end skill with maybe usual production of 15/25/40 and a peak of say 20/35/55, now I'm starting to think he might have the skill-set and drive to put up 25/40/65 type numbers.

21. discobob

discobob Registered User

65 points isn't out of the question, but we'd probably have to keep Semin around. Guys like Fehr, Knuble, Laich, etc. are going to produce a 65 pt #2C....

Could be wrong, and you never know where Kuznetsov will play (W or C) when he comes over or what his ceiling will be in the NHL....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011