Former Bruins Marcus Johansson - Sabres sign forward Marcus Johansson to two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
why do people keep talking about this like he was looking for the hit? it was just a split second decision to step up on a guy who was trying to make a play on the puck

Was just a really good hit. Unfortunate result. That’s All there is to it.

Still like Backes sticking up for his teammate there. Still hold my breath and close my eyes every time he does it.

Johansson needs to come back soon so we don’t have to roll a disgraceful 3rd line again

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
We need him in playoffs period. Goals are hard to find at that time . No rush until then. Marcus you have a 3 week holiday if you need it.
No that's not correct at all. He needs to be in the lineup before that in order to generate some chemistry with his linemates whoever they may be. Throwing him in at playoff time against the Leafs and expecting him to be effective when not having played with any of the players for 3 or 4 weeks is not a recipe for success

Reactions: Maine Fan

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
No that's not correct at all. He needs to be in the lineup before that in order to generate some chemistry with his linemates whoever they may be. Throwing him in at playoff time against the Leafs and expecting him to be effective when not having played with any of the players for 3 or 4 weeks is not a recipe for success
Hopefully he comes back in a week but what are chances of coming that fast with a bruised lung?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Let's just say I know Donnie.

You are 500 miles away up in the land of the 416

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
[QUOTE="22Brad Park, post: 157749525,You would think a guy nursing this would not be looking for the big hit.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if he was "looking for" it but that it's simply instinct. The best, most effective players play on instinct. Set plays for more elitely talented guys like Bergeron work but others like Ferland IMO play on their natural instinct.
Also, I think that you and I have the same attitude toward this type of hit. IF Ferland was a Bruin and he laid that hit on someone we'd be celebrating it for a "good clean" hit. I'm just not sure why there had to be a fight regarding it. One of the B's said something about "answering for it and if they're going to hit our skill guys we're going to hit theirs." But really, there have been Bruins laid out on dirty hits over the last 2-3 years with NO answer when guys like Kevan Miller were on the ice. So, does every hit deserve a fight? IMO Backes put it on the line there to prove ??? After that hit the Bruins woke up and started hitting WhalerCane players to answer. THAT is the way to answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22Brad Park

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
[QUOTE="22Brad Park, post: 157749525,You would think a guy nursing this would not be looking for the big hit.

Don't know if he was "looking for" it but that it's simply instinct. The best, most effective players play on instinct. Set plays for more elitely talented guys like Bergeron work but others like Ferland IMO play on their natural instinct.
Also, I think that you and I have the same attitude toward this type of hit. IF Ferland was a Bruin and he laid that hit on someone we'd be celebrating it for a "good clean" hit. I'm just not sure why there had to be a fight regarding it. One of the B's said something about "answering for it and if they're going to hit our skill guys we're going to hit theirs." But really, there have been Bruins laid out on dirty hits over the last 2-3 years with NO answer when guys like Kevan Miller were on the ice. So, does every hit deserve a fight? IMO Backes put it on the line there to prove ??? After that hit the Bruins woke up and started hitting WhalerCane players to answer. THAT is the way to answer.[/QUOTE]
I was fine with Backes doing that. Not really fine with the fact he’s one of the few on the ice that can do it, but the roster is what it is at this point.

You could feel the air go out of the building. Good on him and good on the 4th line for going out and hitting to hurt the next shift or so as well.

Sometimes you gotta remind guys on the bench there’s a game still. Sucks a guy gets hurt. Still have to play that night.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was fine with Backes doing that. Not really fine with the fact he’s one of the few on the ice that can do it, but the roster is what it is at this point.

You could feel the air go out of the building. Good on him and good on the 4th line for going out and hitting to hurt the next shift or so as well.

Sometimes you gotta remind guys on the bench there’s a game still. Sucks a guy gets hurt. Still have to play that night.[/QUOTE]

What the 4th line did answered more than Backes fighting Ferland answered anything except that he showed that he is available. Answering for a clean yet powerful hit with clean powerful hits is the way to do it. What Backes did was to wake up his own team. In a sense answering to his own teams apathy that took place up to the hit.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Sometimes you gotta remind guys on the bench there’s a game still. Sucks a guy gets hurt. Still have to play that night.

What the 4th line did answered more than Backes fighting Ferland answered anything except that he showed that he is available. Answering for a clean yet powerful hit with clean powerful hits is the way to do it. What Backes did was to wake up his own team. In a sense answering to his own teams apathy that took place up to the hit.[/QUOTE]
Ya man. That’s what I meant lol

Reactions: Strafer

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
why do people keep talking about this like he was looking for the hit? it was just a split second decision to step up on a guy who was trying to make a play on the puck

He came across looking for it .Watch the replay cause he had lots of time to pass it up.He could have easily stopped JoJo there without trying to put him in the 5th row.Anyways it hurt himself as well cause he is out too.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
He came across looking for it .Watch the replay cause he had lots of time to pass it up.He could have easily stopped JoJo there without trying to put him in the 5th row.Anyways it hurt himself as well cause he is out too.
Honestly, I've read your posts now for a while. You like me and many here love for our B's players to take the initiative like Ferland did. If Ferland were a Bruin, and MoJo was a WhalerCane wouldn't we be celebrating that kind of hit?!?!

BruinsNetwork

Honestly, I've read your posts now for a while. You like me and many here love for our B's players to take the initiative like Ferland did. If Ferland were a Bruin, and MoJo was a WhalerCane wouldn't we be celebrating that kind of hit?!?!

I’m celebrating the hit right now even though it came from the opposition. Proof that you can still deliver crushing hits without aiming for the head or being a dirtbag. Ferland plays the right way and Johansson got hit so hard his lung got bruised.

Either way, Bruins dodged a bullet with MoJo as the first thing that came to mind with that hit was concussion or neck injury from the whiplash. I’m not a doctor, but a bruised lung sounds infinitely better than a concussion, neck injury or broken clavicle.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I’m celebrating the hit right now even though it came from the opposition. Proof that you can still deliver crushing hits without aiming for the head or being a dirtbag. Ferland plays the right way and Johansson got hit so hard his lung got bruised.

Either way, Bruins dodged a bullet with MoJo as the first thing that came to mind with that hit was concussion or neck injury from the whiplash. I’m not a doctor, but a bruised lung sounds infinitely better than a concussion, neck injury or broken clavicle.
if anything the fact that he was able to take a hit like that and NOT get a concussion makes me feel less nervous about his concussion history being an issue for him.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don’t even know what you’re saying

I'm saying, for perhaps the tenth time, that if the Bruins rely on a 34 year old oft concussed David Backes to do their fighting for them, those posting snide comments about him on the board should direct their ire toward Don Sweeney & Cam Neely.

The Backes signing has turned into a bad one for all involved. He was not brought here to play fourth line minutes & engage in fistacuffs with guys like Ferland. He is, unfortunately, one concussion away from serious brain injury.

As noted, earlier in the season, Brad Marchand and other undersized B's were left to defend their teammates against other clubs' legit pugilists. It was pathetic and embarrassing.

If you have a problem with Backes and his contract, or seek a cheap laugh at his expense by deriding his fighting prowess, blame Sweeney and Neely. Not Backes. The club is no longer feared for its size or physicality (or meanness).

End rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Buddy it’s not that serious

The dude literally broke his hand punching him.

And the only thing I’m gonna blame Sweeney for is building a great team

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm saying, for perhaps the tenth time, that if the Bruins rely on a 34 year old oft concussed David Backes to do their fighting for them, those posting snide comments about him on the board should direct their ire toward Don Sweeney & Cam Neely.

The Backes signing has turned into a bad one for all involved. He was not brought here to play fourth line minutes & engage in fistacuffs with guys like Ferland. He is, unfortunately, one concussion away from serious brain injury.

As noted, earlier in the season, Brad Marchand and other undersized B's were left to defend their teammates against other clubs' legit pugilists. It was pathetic and embarrassing.

If you have a problem with Backes and his contract, or seek a cheap laugh at his expense by deriding his fighting prowess, blame Sweeney and Neely. Not Backes. The club is no longer feared for its size or physicality (or meanness).

End rant.

Seems like a dumb reason to blame Sweeney and Neely..... This is Backes' decision, is it not? It doesn't appear that management/coaching is telling Backes that he needs to be the enforcer. It's also not on Sweeney/Neely to go out and get a goon 4th liner. They have in the past, Rinaldo and that failed. Thankfully, Sweeney has learned from that mistake. People whining about not having a guy who can fight is garbage. You need guys who can play. The guys who can play and also fight are hard to get.

But you keep whining about Sweeney and company in every thread possible. Once again, you muck up a thread that has zero to do with the topic you bring up.

End rant. (lol.....)

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

End rant.
If he is afraid of his long term health than he can say thanks but no thanks and hang them up. Guy has more money than anyone needs for the rest of his life. Make a choice, be healthy, retire rich or make a bit more and gamble on living normal. It was his decision to accept it, I think he packs it in at the end of the year. If he cannot see the writing on the wall, then he has more damage than we think.

Anyways this thread is about Mojo, let's talk about him. I hope he gets back and is hungry after watching the Caps win it without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad