Marcus Foligno

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
How did this guy fall to the 4th round?

It's only been two games, but he's arguably been Canada's best forward at the WJC.

Granted, he didn't put up great offensive numbers in his draft year (even though he's over a PPG now), but he's got great size, a Smyth/Holmstrom-esque ability to screen the goalie and hits anything that moves.

IMO, the Sabres got a steal with Foligno.

Oshie

Feb 9, 2010
Saskatoon
It's just like any other player on there draft year he didn't play that well. I mean another big reason for you even noticing him is because of the World Juniors. If it wasn't for the tournament you wouldn't even know about this kid or be talking about him right now he would just be another 4th rounder. Just look at Nino, the kind of tournament he had last year got him recognized and got drafted in the first round. If this year was Folgino's draft year I think if he keeps playing the way he is playing that he would be going in the first round also. This is why I love the World Juniors.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
It's just like any other player on there draft year he didn't play that well. I mean another big reason for you even noticing him is because of the World Juniors. If it wasn't for the tournament you wouldn't even know about this kid or be talking about him right now he would just be another 4th rounder. Just look at Nino, the kind of tournament he had last year got him recognized and got drafted in the first round. If this year was Folgino's draft year I think if he keeps playing the way he is playing that he would be going in the first round also. This is why I love the World Juniors.

Nino had a good WJC but he was already a top prospect going in to the tourney.

Scouts were drooling all over him and Johansen in the west.
41 of Nino's 60 points last year came prior to the WJC.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

He wasnt projected by most on HF to be a top 10 pick before the wjc's though.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Not a "top" prospect but he was still a first rounder. Most people had him at 15-20 before the WJCs...afterwards he was a bonafide top ten pick, with talk of top 5.

The situation is different from Foligno (being ranked 15-20 is still nothing to sneeze at, and far from the fourth round) but the WJC boosted his stock in a big way, as it tends to do.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Foligno's in his last year of WJC eligibility, he's older and more physically developed than most of his competition. I still don't think that much of him as a pro prospect but at least he's finally producing at a solid rate at the junior level.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Not a "top" prospect but he was still a first rounder. Most people had him at 15-20 before the WJCs...afterwards he was a bonafide top ten pick, with talk of top 5.

The situation is different from Foligno (being ranked 15-20 is still nothing to sneeze at, and far from the fourth round) but the WJC boosted his stock in a big way, as it tends to do.

I am not referring to most people I am referring to the likes of NHL Central Scouting, and recognized scouting services, scouts.
Central Scouting had him ranked high from their 1st rankings...ie their prelim had him as the 2nd best forward from the WHL.Their mid term had him as the 9th best NA forward and their final had him as the 7th best forward from NA......the final moved him up overall but down from 2nd to 4th amongst WHL forwards.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Foligno's in his last year of WJC eligibility, he's older and more physically developed than most of his competition. I still don't think that much of him as a pro prospect but at least he's finally producing at a solid rate at the junior level.

Right now I hope he develops into a good 3rd line player who can fill in on the top 6 role.

I doubt he will score at a PPG in the NHL, but he could turn into a solid 45 point player who can throw knuckles and can play a great 2 way game, with a little bit of edge.

I just remember when his dad said that the Sabres got the two toughest mofo's in the draft in him and Kassian...

Just think of a line of Foligno-Adam-Kassian.... OMG!

That is of course if he develops even more and hits his peak potential.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Like everyone else here has said, Foligno simply didn't have the numbers or the play to deserve being drafted high.

That said, his numbers are similar to Kassian and both players are in similar situations (physically dominant, go-to guys), but I doubt he has the same ceilings.

If nothing else, he's a big body who will be one hell of a bottom 6 player.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Right now I hope he develops into a good 3rd line player who can fill in on the top 6 role.

I doubt he will score at a PPG in the NHL, but he could turn into a solid 45 point player who can throw knuckles and can play a great 2 way game, with a little bit of edge.

That seems like his upside (3rd liner who can occasionally fill in with the top 6, not a PPG player haha). Personally, I'd rather have someone like Kyle Clifford who has just as much, and IMO more, offensive upside but even if his skill game doesn't pan out, he can grind it out and beat your face in, which still makes him a pretty valuable player. Then again, it seems as if the NHL felt the same way, which is why Clifford went high second round and Foligno didn't.

I just remember when his dad said that the Sabres got the two toughest mofo's in the draft in him and Kassian...

Foligno...toughest in the draft? LOL, don't listen to his dad any more, please. :laugh:

Just think of a line of Foligno-Adam-Kassian.... OMG!

That is of course if he develops even more and hits his peak potential.

Well personally I think Kassian and Adam will be playing in the top 6 on a permanent basis so I doubt they'd play together that often. Putting all your big guys on one line seems like a waste, when Adam and Kassian could play valuable roles alongside guys like Roy, Ennis and Gerbe, balancing out the lineup.

htsportplaya said:
That said, his numbers are similar to Kassian and both players are in similar situations (physically dominant, go-to guys), but I doubt he has the same ceilings.

Which of his numbers are similar to Kassian's, exactly? Kassian's almost at 2 PPG in the OHL and has been a much better player than Foligno every step of their careers.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Well personally I think Kassian and Adam will be playing in the top 6 on a permanent basis so I doubt they'd play together that often. Putting all your big guys on one line seems like a waste, when Adam and Kassian could play valuable roles alongside guys like Roy, Ennis and Gerbe, balancing out the lineup.

Which of his numbers are similar to Kassian's, exactly? Kassian's almost at 2 PPG in the OHL and has been a much better player than Foligno every step of their careers.

Eh, Foligno slowed down from the last time I checked, but I meant similar this year, not during their careers.

Anyways, Foligno-Adam-Kassian would be nice (Foligno-Couturier-Kassian is working pretty good--though I know Adam is no Couturier). But Foligno and Kassian will bring physicality that the Sabres have needed for quite some time. It's hard not to get excited.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Wow this kid has a motor on him and can hit like a truck. Third/fourth liner hopefully if he keeps on improving and can keep up with pro speed. Will be interesting to see if he can adapt or gets lost in the shuffle.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Foligno...toughest in the draft? LOL, don't listen to his dad any more, please. :laugh:

With a guy like Kassian as well, they probably have two of the toughest in the draft."

Just the messenger. He is very physical though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The move to the wing has been HUGELY beneficial for Foligno this year.

He actually had a terrible season last year and looked like a guy who might struggle to reach his potential. He was running around hitting and scrapping and it really took him off his game.

The shift to wing has allowed him to have less responsibility (in a good way). He can now play more of an up and down power game, and doesn't have to worry so much about the positional support and puck carrying duties down the middle.

But he's also playing better due to refinements and improvements in his game. His skating has vastly improved this year and he's playing with WAY more discipline. Less time in the penalty box means more time on the ice. I think his confidence with the puck has really increased too (obviously), and he seems like he's having more fun on the ice this year (even if Sudbury is struggling again).

I'm not sure he's a top 2 line player in the NHL, but he can certainly have an NHL career.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

He actually had a terrible season last year and looked like a guy who might struggle to reach his potential. He was running around hitting and scrapping and it really took him off his game.

The shift to wing has allowed him to have less responsibility (in a good way). He can now play more of an up and down power game, and doesn't have to worry so much about the positional support and puck carrying duties down the middle.

But he's also playing better due to refinements and improvements in his game. His skating has vastly improved this year and he's playing with WAY more discipline. Less time in the penalty box means more time on the ice. I think his confidence with the puck has really increased too (obviously), and he seems like he's having more fun on the ice this year (even if Sudbury is struggling again).

I'm not sure he's a top 2 line player in the NHL, but he can certainly have an NHL career.

This

madpooh

May 30, 2007

In an interview he said it had alot to do with his mother being sick and passing away at that time.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think he will be better then Nick.

People get down on Nick too easily. I could see Marcus becoming a really good bottom 6er and he'll be more physical than Nick for sure, but I don't think he is as skilled offensively at all. Nick has 50 point potential at the NHL level, maybe even 55 just because guys like him take a while to break out. I see Marcus as a guy who will probably score around 30 points, while Nick has already shown he can do that by the time he was like 20. Marcus is a very solid bet to be a good NHLer but I don't think he has a whole lot of top 6 potential.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
People get down on Nick too easily. I could see Marcus becoming a really good bottom 6er and he'll be more physical than Nick for sure, but I don't think he is as skilled offensively at all. Nick has 50 point potential at the NHL level, maybe even 55 just because guys like him take a while to break out. I see Marcus as a guy who will probably score around 30 points, while Nick has already shown he can do that by the time he was like 20. Marcus is a very solid bet to be a good NHLer but I don't think he has a whole lot of top 6 potential.

Im a big Nick Foligno fan, dont get me wrong, I just don't see a top 6 forward in him. I think he will be a very good 3rd liner with scoring touch. I also see Marcus filling the same role but with more physicality.

I guess it all depends on what kind of 3rd liner your team needs.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Im a big Nick Foligno fan, dont get me wrong, I just don't see a top 6 forward in him. I think he will be a very good 3rd liner with scoring touch. I also see Marcus filling the same role but with more physicality.

I guess it all depends on what kind of 3rd liner your team needs.

I agree with all this, I just think Nick will be a guy who can be a top 6er on a mediocre team and will be able to provide more offense. Marcus should be a 20-30 point guy while Nick I think will be a 35-45 point guy in his prime. Both will likely spend most of their career in the bottom 6, I just think Nick will be more offensive whereas Marcus' contribution will be in the physical department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad