Player Discussion Marcus Foligno

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Hmm... I’m going to say that ~25 points and a (relatively) clean physical game would get him pretty close.

Gonna have to disagree. Winnik is the better player and he's getting league minimum.

It's two different questions.

Would he have got that contract from another team? Yes, 100%. Without a doubt he would have got about that contract from probably 10 other teams. At 30 years old, Clutterbuck got 3.5 million per for 5 years coming off 16, 23 and 20 point seasons.

Is he worth it? No, he's never going to be worth it. Just like every other Martin, Clutterbuck, McGinn 4th liner in who gets that similar contract. It's always going to be regretted by the GM in a year. But they keep giving them out.

Reactions: 2Pair

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Good game, but I still want him to be cleaner on his break-out and getting pucks deep in the neutral zone.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
not even close. Winnik on the PK is more valuable than anything Foligno brings

Maybe. If not Winnik I think the Wild have a number of guys that can play the PK really well. Foligno's possession numbers and other advanced statistics are much higher than Winnik's which I think has a solid amount of value. Foligno's shooting % is down 3 or 4% from his career average too. I really like guys on the 4th line that can elevate possession and generate more positive shot differentials on the ice. Winnik may be better in the defensive zone, but Foligno's better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone which is in my mind a better form of defense.

Foligno's play has been dragged down by linemates like Winnik, not the other way around. I'm not sure of the value of this skillset, but Foligno is a much more physical player and at this stage of their careers should be a better goal-scorer too (although we're talking minimal points here).

In a vacuum Winnik's PK skills might be valuable, but I don't think good PK ability is a skillset the Wild are short on. I don't think Foligno's been as bad as some on this board suggest and I think some of it has to do with a sour taste from Foligno being the key get in the Scandella deal.

I think if you can get a little bit more offense out of the 4th line in the future and the Wild should have the opportunity to do so with all of their forward prospects coming up...Foligno's game would look even better.

I want Winnik on a 4th line that's consistently getting stuck in the defensive zone and trying to break up that action and trying to break out and get the puck deep the other way. I want Foligno on a 4th line that can more consistently sustain possession and keep pucks instead of giving up possession and being forced to defend offenses attacking the other way.

Foligno for my money, with his size and physical ability, is both a better forechecker, a better possession player, and a better scorer. At the wing position, I don't think defense is as crucial as C/D and I don't think the difference between the two in terms of that ability is worth the other trade-offs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let's agree to disagree. Foligno has been good in the playoffs, but overall, he's a giveaway machine who handles the puck like it's a live grenade. Winnik is aging, but he is a better player still, and a better value.

Reactions: 2Pair

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Winnik's the better player, but I remember questions at some point this season about who might step up as the "spark plug" in the playoffs. I think Foligno has a decent claim on that title right now.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yup, no question. Foligno is the right guy to play against the Jets, and the 4th line as it is now is the right line, but Foligno against the Preds or VGK will get ugly, and quick.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I just saw the video of his fight against the kid on the Sharks when he let up and motioned the linesmen in to break it up. Solid dude and would love to have him on the Leafs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just saw the video of his fight against the kid on the Sharks when he let up and motioned the linesmen in to break it up. Solid dude and would love to have him on the Leafs.

He would be perfect for a lot of teams going into the playoffs. He has really improved his play since coming to the Wild, IMO. Much smarter about his play both with, and without, the puck. A player like him is an absolute necessity when going against big, tough teams like VGK in the playoffs.

Oh, and I don't see him being available in trade except for the proverbial overpayment. The Wild are pretty safely in the playoffs at this point, and the management has been pretty vocal about how much they like him.

Reactions: gtforepro

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Would love to trade him, but I don't think our front office does.

Its nothing to do with him being bad or anything, he is a good player. I just rather sell pieces for more futures and use his cap on someone else like Hartman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad