Prospect Info: Marcus Davidsson (2017, 37th) 2018-19 Vaxjo Lakers SHL

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Marcus gave his bro an open net with 30 seconds left and he should have scored. But right now I don't care :D

408024-life-is-good.jpg

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If I was a Jackets' fan, I'd be a little PO'd, but that rally was amazing. Like I said, I'll take him making that feed and then keeping the puck alive low later on that allowed the GWG to be scored that late. That was some clutch foot-soldiering there, if I can completely make something up. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Prntscrn

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Frölunda has 2-2 in their series. If they win Djurgården are most likely to face Frölunda with Olofsson in the semis as Skellefteå has 3-1 lead in their. And I'll be back home just in time for the semis to begin :)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Out performed Rasmus Asplud's 19 year old season. EDIT: And actually had similar PPG to him this year.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
How are Asplund/Davidsson alike and how do they differ? Other than Rasmus Asplund being a much cooler name.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
How are Asplund/Davidsson alike and how do they differ? Other than Rasmus Asplund being a much cooler name.

Davidsson is bigger, but neither are power guys. I think Davidsson is too young to see how he adapts defensively. He resigned for next year with his brother, so perhaps NA the year after that? Assuming he continues on the current trajectory he'd be pro material.

Asplund being more a high motor competitor. I don't think either project as top line NHL talents. Marcus has good hands and instincts in tight. But he'll get punished for it in NA more so than the SHL. Kinda that Sam Reinhart powerplay vibe. I am not comparing those two players overall games. But they both read offensive opportunities well. .

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

More of a physical element to Davidsson’s game. He has a Mike Grier vibe to his game. Just shows up, does his job. Moves in straight lines. He’s dependable in that he’s always where he’s supposed to be and that makes him easy to play with. Utilizes north south speed more than Asplund.

Asplund is more cerebral in his play. Not to say he’s shy with the physicality or not a good skater (he’s actually great), just less so compared to Davidsson in my mind. Asplund also uses his skating in more of a start/stop way and has better side to side agility than Davidsson. I think he’s slightly more comfortable with the puck on his stick.

In my mind I see Davidsson more as the jam guy on a scoring line and more likely to be transitioned to wing full time. Asplund I see has being the driver of a 2nd but more likely third line as the pivot.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
More of a physical element to Davidsson’s game. He has a Mike Grier vibe to his game. Just shows up, does his job. Moves in straight lines. He’s dependable in that he’s always where he’s supposed to be and that makes him easy to play with. Utilizes north south speed more than Asplund.

Asplund is more cerebral in his play. Not to say he’s shy with the physicality or not a good skater (he’s actually great), just less so compared to Davidsson in my mind. Asplund also uses his skating in more of a start/stop way and has better side to side agility than Davidsson. I think he’s slightly more comfortable with the puck on his stick.

In my mind I see Davidsson more as the jam guy on a scoring line and more likely to be transitioned to wing full time. Asplund I see has being the driver of a 2nd but more likely third line as the pivot.
Great write-up! Any reference to Mike Grier is a good reference.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Thanks! Everyone wants high end talent but the Sabres don't have enough of these types of players on the roster now. Need to keep the pipeline full.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects - Apr 11 -
Marcus Davidsson and Djurgården look to stave off elimination today in Game 5 of the SHL semifinal versus Skellefteå. Davidsson has five assists while averaging 14:54 TOI in nine post-season contests. Marcus Davidsson (13:31) with one shot and two hits while going 5/8 on draws as Djurgården stays alive with a 2-1 win over Skellefteå.

Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects - Apr 13 -
Season ends for Marcus Davidsson as Djurgården drops a 6-2 decision to Skellefteå in Game 6 of the SHL semifinal.
Davidsson had 17 points (7+10) in 27 post-WJC games, including five assists in 11 playoff contests.

LaxSabre - Baker saids SHL next year with him being in Rochester the following year.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not sure Grier is exactly the guy to draw parallels to since Mike's game was so often unfolding from his physical play. If we must use past players... Dixon Ward? Great feet, very good defensive responsibility and awareness and just enough creativity to cash in some chances. He has some solid chemistry with The Flow and his older brother, and we saw how well he played as a role player at the U20's.

Both he and Asplund are top-notch skaters, but Davidsson has a size advantage. Both are well-schooled, as one would expect coming out of Sweden's development program. They're not the same, but both should have a role going forward in the "glue" category and as guys who can bring pace with them wherever they play.

Sucks that his season is over. With VO and Asplund seemingly coming over, he moves to the top of my mid-day viewing list alongside Laaksonen.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I'm not sure Grier is exactly the guy to draw parallels to since Mike's game was so often unfolding from his physical play. If we must use past players... Dixon Ward? Great feet, very good defensive responsibility and awareness and just enough creativity to cash in some chances. He has some solid chemistry with The Flow and his older brother, and we saw how well he played as a role player at the U20's.

Both he and Asplund are top-notch skaters, but Davidsson has a size advantage. Both are well-schooled, as one would expect coming out of Sweden's development program. They're not the same, but both should have a role going forward in the "glue" category and as guys who can bring pace with them wherever they play.

Sucks that his season is over. With VO and Asplund seemingly coming over, he moves to the top of my mid-day viewing list alongside Laaksonen.
Fully recognize that Davidsson doesn’t have the physical element of Grier, but really there are few NHL players built like an NFL linebacker these days. It was more of a comparison of roles. Davidsson is going to do his job, fill his lane with a high level of consistency. I see him being the guy who can win the puck and play that reliable role on a line above his skill set.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think Davidsson’s hands are being underrated because he didn’t light up the world juniors.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Davidsson’s hands are being underrated because he didn’t light up the world juniors.

His U20's and his Djurgarden play were very similar, but his deployment was different. He and the Flow embraced that U20 checking detail with gusto.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
(Disclaimer: I know it's a highlight video)

Admittedly I do not watch European hockey. Davidsson looks like type of player Buffalo needs offensively. From the video it looks like he's got a decent shot; not afraid to push hard into the net; nice hands -- he had a couple goals where he pulled the puck closer to his feet to change the angle. There doesn't seem to be a panic-type situation where he wants to get the puck off his stick fast when a defender is on him or closing in.

I definitely see why Botterill likes Davidsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad