Marco Sturm hired as new national coach / GM

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
The DEB has announced that Marco Sturm has been hired as the new national coach and GM of the German national team.

Your thoughts about him? I personally like the fact that such a highly regarded name committed to the DEB, hopefully this has a positive impact on the team. I hope the lack of experience won't be an issue, but Cortina had plenty of experience and didn't succeed, so...

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Um, that comes rather unexpected. Choosing Sturm as GM wouldn't have been that surprising, but as head coach?

There are those who have plenty of experience as a coach and those who are rather inexperienced, but Sturm has no experience whatsoever. The best hope seems to be to have Sturm in a Klinsmann-like role, as a motivator, with other coaches to help out with normal coaching duties. Though I think when Klinsmann took over Germany he did have the highest coaching license, I'm not sure if Sturm has any at all.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Um, that comes rather unexpected. Choosing Sturm as GM wouldn't have been that surprising, but as head coach?

There are those who have plenty of experience as a coach and those who are rather inexperienced, but Sturm has no experience whatsoever. The best hope seems to be to have Sturm in a Klinsmann-like role, as a motivator, with other coaches to help out with normal coaching duties. Though I think when Klinsmann took over Germany he did have the highest coaching license, I'm not sure if Sturm has any at all.

I feel that he is there more for his playing experience. They should surround him with good experienced assistant coaches, then I can see it working.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
it's definitely a step in the right direction, simply because it can't get worse. :D

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I feel that he is there more for his playing experience. They should surround him with good experienced assistant coaches, then I can see it working.

Well, that is exactly what I meant. Klinsmann was a famous player, but definately not a coach at that point. He could motivate and players might have looked up to him as a world champion and star-player, but no one would have seen him as a tactics-guru at that point.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Typical DEB. Let's give the job to a famous player (who has no other qualification than being a famous player) to gain some cheap, short-term goodwill among fans and what passes for hockey media here. Most likely hoping for another Uwe Krupp but apparently they forgot that Krupp had little to no coaching experience either, and thus sucked in his first years behind the bench at least. The one thing I can see Sturm helping with is that his name will make players reconsider skipping the World Championships as they did en masse under lame duck Cortina this year.

Not that any coach worth their salt would take the job anyway. The last guy they really wanted rather left hockey entirely and took a soccer job instead. :D

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, I don't know if I like this move. I mean, I am an Avs fan and there were strong rumours that Colorado gave Roy the coaching job in the 2009 season after they fired Granato the second time. But Roy declined saying he wasn't ready, this was the same time he was coaching his kids as well. The moral of the story was that a player of Roy's calibre knew he wasn't ready until he got another 3 more extra years. They're basically throwing Sturm into the fire here. I know Deutschland has been sort of stagnating concerning talent depth and producing NHL quality players over the last decade or so, I've seen Sturm's passion in a couple behind the scene and mic up videos from the DEL. So you can definitely not question his passion, but more of the experience. Lets hope this works out!

I am not very knowledgeable concerning DEL managers, but the manager for DEG seems like a really intelligent guy...why not give him the position of at least coach?! They were a complete Godawful team for like 5 seasons and last season they went really far.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yeah, I don't know if I like this move. I mean, I am an Avs fan and there were strong rumours that Colorado gave Roy the coaching job in the 2009 season after they fired Granato the second time. But Roy declined saying he wasn't ready, this was the same time he was coaching his kids as well. The moral of the story was that a player of Roy's calibre knew he wasn't ready until he got another 3 more extra years. They're basically throwing Sturm into the fire here. I know Deutschland has been sort of stagnating concerning talent depth and producing NHL quality players over the last decade or so, I've seen Sturm's passion in a couple behind the scene and mic up videos from the DEL. So you can definitely not question his passion, but more of the experience. Lets hope this works out!

I am not very knowledgeable concerning DEL managers, but the manager for DEG seems like a really intelligent guy...why not give him the position of at least coach?! They were a complete Godawful team for like 5 seasons and last season they went really far.

Apparently they really don't want a guy coaching the national team and a club team at the same time.
However that doesn't mean that some of those DEL coaches couldn't become part of the coaching staff during World Championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->