Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
We made the right decision at the time and that's what matters.

We could sit here all day long playing the revisionist history game but Rossi was who we should have based on the information we had at the draft.
I don't agree with that. I don't have any problems with the Rossi pick, but you can't definitively say that it was the right pick at the time.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Lundell is certainly looking good. I was always way higher on him than the consensus opinion, and wonder if we might not have missed a good one.

I would have loved to have seen the Wild figure out a way to draft both and I think there were realistic options out there.

I would have happily traded vastly overrated by Wild fans Dumba and potentially a small add on if it put us in play to have both.

Solving the center situation on the top two lines for the next 15 years and I'd trade two Dumba's.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I would have loved to have seen the Wild figure out a way to draft both and I think there were realistic options out there.

I would have happily traded vastly overrated by Wild fans Dumba and potentially a small add on if it put us in play to have both.

Solving the center situation on the top two lines for the next 15 years and I'd trade two Dumba's.
Two issues with this:

1) The Wild did make a play for the pick according to russo but Florida wanted to keep it. Everyone's guess was that Boldy was offered for it. I'm not going to lose a trade to try and get someone we still don't know how he will translate to the NHL. This is coming from someone who had Lundell as number 3 on his draft list.

2) Florida has zero interest in Dumba. That is not a need for them.

3)Bonus, I really think you are over estimating how many Wild fans overrate Dumba. I'd argue it the only way around. Everyone wants to trade him. There was someone on this board saying they would rather lose a Dumba trade in order to try and protect AHL all star Menell. If anything Dumba doesn't get enough respect even from our own fans.

Reactions: lordtrillson

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Two issues with this:

1) The Wild did make a play for the pick according to russo but Florida wanted to keep it. Everyone's guess was that Boldy was offered for it. I'm not going to lose a trade to try and get someone we still don't know how he will translate to the NHL. This is coming from someone who had Lundell as number 3 on his draft list.

2) Florida has zero interest in Dumba. That is not a need for them.

3)Bonus, I really think you are over estimating how many Wild fans overrate Dumba. I'd argue it the only way around. Everyone wants to trade him. There was someone on this board saying they would rather lose a Dumba trade in order to try and protect AHL all star Menell. If anything Dumba doesn't get enough respect even from our own fans.

ya im pretty sure that was him that said he wanted to lose dumba over menell. :laugh:
That being said, if dumba was that overrated we wouldnt be getting trade offers for him.

Reactions: HotDish

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Are you serious with all that Lundell discussion? At draft day, everyone said the wild got themselves the steal of the draft at #9. Now just because Rossi can't play atm because of COVID-19 he literally falls from hero (steal of the draft) to zero (bust, Lindell is better,....) without even playing.

Can you guys just stay patient please, and let this kid heal? At least wait until he's played a few games for the wild before judging him.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Postponed...
2 covid cases in opponents team
It wasn’t postponed I watched it. ZSC Won 8-0. Rossi held off the scoresheet but he was playing very well. Skating looked very good. You could tell he was still a bit sick though, there was a few occasions where he got off pretty early in the shift gassed. ZSC’s top power play runs through Rossi and he looked very dangerous with the puck on his stick though they only got 2 PPs today.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
It wasn’t postponed I watched it. ZSC Won 8-0. Rossi held off the scoresheet but he was playing very well. Skating looked very good. You could tell he was still a bit sick though, there was a few occasions where he got off pretty early in the shift gassed. ZSC’s top power play runs through Rossi and he looked very dangerous with the puck on his stick though they only got 2 PPs today.

Glad to hear he'll fit in

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
The points will come. It was a good game from Rossi. He skated well. But he's looked a bit rusty due that CIVID-19 infection.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
How good is the Swiss League comparatively to other leagues?

I'd say the league is as good as the AHL. But it's hard to compare, because of the rink size. European hockey is way different than the NHL but talent and hard work always finds it's way to success.

Rossi is playing against men the first time of his carreer. This is a huge step for the developement of a young hockey player but he will do just fine. He'll need to adjust but in the end you'll be happy that you've picked him at the draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Swiss league is NOT as good as the AHL, but it is much better than it used to be.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The Swiss league is NOT as good as the AHL, but it is much better than it used to be.
This is something that you really can’t say with confidence anymore. I’m not saying one league is better than the other, but they’re both certainly in the same tier of league. Top line AHLers and aging NHLers leave all the time for the league. It’s really just about a distribution of wealth among these leagues, that’s all. It’s natural for players to go where the money is. Here’s a good article from the European agency that represents Brennen Menell that ranks European leagues: League Ranking – 2112HockeyAgency.com
If you look at that article’s pay range for the Swiss league, which is consistent with what I’ve seen elsewhere, players will make between 50k USD and 475k USD. Comparing the to the AHL, where the pay range is: 39k-350k(USD). This calculation, though, does exclude the players that are sent down on 1 way deals. Another thing to pay attention to is NHLe. It’s a pretty moot stat when trying to project a player’s league to league projection, but it’s essentially a large collection of data of players that have moved from league X to the NHL and an algorithm that models this data. It takes all of the data and then essentially creates a constant variable for that league (which is why it’s not all that reliable for predicting future production. Roles change from league to league, some skills don’t transfer as well as others, etc.) but this constant can work as a way to rank leagues based on the data given. The higher the constant, the better the league. When using various NHLe calculators, you will find that the NHLe the when calculating the same exact stats in the NLA and the AHL is near identical. For example, a point per game player in the AHL has an NHLe of 40 points while a point per game in the NL has an NHLe of 39 points (NHLe Calculator - Frozen Tools) I’m not saying that one league is better than the other, but based on pay-scale and data gathered when making the NHL jump from the NL vs AHL, at the very least you can conclude that these two leagues are in the same tier.

Reactions: MuckOG

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
With the news that Rossi plans to play in the WJC and then head straight to St. Paul, it seems as if he’s played is last game with ZSC (assuming he makes the team) as they are in quarantine until the 9th and all players playing in the WJC must be with their team to quarantine for 2 weeks starting December 6th.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
NHL'er who are aging out of the league, and AHL'ers whose NHL dream has died go to play in Switzerland. The lifestyle is much more family friendly, as the education for their kids is very good, travel is negligible, and it is very safe and clean. It used to be that a decent college player or ECHL equivalent player could go over there and play, but now you pretty well have to have AHL experience to get a job there.

The level of play does not have the intensity, talent, speed, or physicality that you will find in the AHL. The SWI league is where NHL'ers go to chill out, experience some new things, and relax, not ramp up and take the next step in their career.

Swiss hockey has been going on a long time. My old teammate's father played there as a pro in the 50's.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Not that my measurement skills are all the great when watching a blurry screen, but Rossi looked pretty big out there when I watched. Wouldn't surprise me if he's 5'10.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I want to watch Rossi and g Boldy and hopefully Beckman, O'Rourke, Khusnutdinov and Firstov …

Anyone know what are the streaming options exisit for broadcast of the WJC this year? I have YouTubeTV currently, but they don't have the NHL network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad